Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2020, 08:37 AM

211 posts, read 138,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
My impression of Denver is that it's popular with occasionally hot outdoorsy people who don't really like to think too hard about anything. Its a Mecca for the Himbos of the Millennial Generation. I'll pass lol
Lol, occasionally hot. Well you're absolutely right, it's become a mecca for 'active' himbos and their himbros (whom are all seemingly rich, somehow?), but it wasn't that pervasive as recently as 2014. Funny how fast things change...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 08:37 AM

21,804 posts, read 12,979,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Up to a certain point? Sure. But for the average person not making 6 figures, it starts to suck when everyone and their mother is moving here, and most of them are flush with cash. Not only does it make real estate unattainable (I'm at a fairly comfortable salary, can't afford to compete for a house in Denver), but it also makes the culture much more whitewashed/vanilla. Artsy types and mom/pop establishments that have been around for decades get pushed out for big tech, Instagram bars, etc.
This is how most people feel. This is why you hear this sentiment repeated ad nauseam all over the country, on every platform there is-multiple times per week.

The idea that we all or even most people appreciate gentrification is false. People love revitalization and improvement or even just maintenance. People-by and large- do not like gentrification. If they did it would be such an ugly, maligned, word and phenomena-there would be considerably more census.

What happens is those with cash and education tend to like it. Relative to their population they have an outsized voice politically and culturally (as they do on this board) and so policy is shaped towards their desires.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:39 AM

21,804 posts, read 12,979,182 times
Quote:
Lol, occasionally hot. Well you're absolutely right, it's become a mecca for 'active' himbos and their himbros, but it wasn't that pervasive as recently as 2014. Funny how fast things change...
Wife just came back from Denver. She unpromptedly declared everyone there is gorgeous.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:42 AM

1,971 posts, read 2,327,162 times
yes

Old 10-22-2020, 09:08 AM

955 posts, read 618,360 times
Quote:
My impression of Denver is that it's popular with occasionally hot outdoorsy people who don't really like to think too hard about anything. Its a Mecca for the Himbos of the Millennial Generation. I'll pass lol
This is exactly what I was thinking but wanted to be polite.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:09 AM

8,926 posts, read 6,963,767 times
Actually Seattle still has an outsized population in the 20-something bracket...that's not necessarily millennials but it might get to the gist of this thread.

20-somethings move here for tech jobs or lifestyle (the latter with roommates), then often move away to settle down.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:49 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,687,164 times
Quote:
Up to a certain point? Sure. But for the average person not making 6 figures, it starts to suck when everyone and their mother is moving here, and most of them are flush with cash. Not only does it make real estate unattainable (I'm at a fairly comfortable salary, can't afford to compete for a house in Denver), but it also makes the culture much more whitewashed/vanilla. Artsy types and mom/pop establishments that have been around for decades get pushed out for big tech, Instagram bars, etc. I noticed this was starting to happen in Austin when I visited last year, and it made me rather sad.

If I'm able to keep working remote after the pandemic, I'm absolutely heading somewhere with less population and less $$$. But different strokes for different Fockers.
That’s the beauty of America. You can live in Erie and I can live in Orange County and we can both be happy

Old 10-22-2020, 09:51 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,687,164 times
Quote:
A lot of people won’t agree with me but it’s a bro mecca

Old 10-22-2020, 10:00 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,995,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane73 View Post
Nonetheless do you think Denver perhaps may be making a coming of age kind of imprint on the national radar in the next decade in a similar manner Seattle did in the 90's?

90s Seattle gave us the likes of Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, TAD, etc... Today's Denver has introduced us to the Lumineers and Nathaniel Rateliff . That being said, no.

Other Denver peer cities / metros who have had a bigger imprint on the national radar are Minneapolis, Austin, and Nashville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
A lot of people won’t agree with me but it’s a bro mecca

Definitely

Last edited by YIMBY; 10-22-2020 at 10:16 AM..

Old 10-22-2020, 10:11 AM

211 posts, read 138,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That’s the beauty of America. You can live in Erie and I can live in Orange County and we can both be happy
And that's the condescending "go live in a dying city, then, you peasant" sentiment that is pervasive in rapidly gentrifying cities. So appealing!

Luckily there are still some happy mediums between OC and Erie, even here in the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City