Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2020, 10:27 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,991,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Wife just came back from Denver. She unpromptedly declared everyone there is gorgeous.
With Colorado having the lowest obesity rate in the country, and having taller people than in California, I'm not surprised that people look attractive there.

Interestingly, California has some of the shortest men in the country, even if you're only looking at white men. You can google this. I know because in California I (Chinese American man) am a giant, being 6' 1", I am much taller than even the white men there. Going to other states I still am taller than average but I don't feel as giant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 10:45 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,346,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If you haven’t been why do you hate it so much? There’s a lot of animosity for a thing that I would assume has had no negative impact in your life?

And population and money is pretty nice.
Population and money are nice until the realization sets in that the place isn't going to do anything about infrastructure and housing. Look at some of these cities that are booming in population with no plan in place for infrastructure- COL goes up while mediocrity remains. Pittsburgh is the opposite of this.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:51 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,684,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Population and money are nice until the realization sets in that the place isn't going to do anything about infrastructure and housing. Look at some of these cities that are booming in population with no plan in place for infrastructure- COL goes up while mediocrity remains. Pittsburgh is the opposite of this.
Seattle, Denver and Portland have decent infrastructure.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:52 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,346,517 times
Quote:
Yes I was referring to Columbus and Austin, though it was only recently when Seattle came up to par.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:52 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,684,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
And that's the condescending "go live in a dying city, then, you peasant" sentiment that is pervasive in rapidly gentrifying cities. So appealing!

Luckily there are still some happy mediums between OC and Erie, even here in the West.
Say what? I think you misinterpreted my statement.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Not Portland. They have ridiculously bad traffic for a smaller metro area that isn't a state capital or even has as much industry as Austin does. At least Austin MSA congestion can be explained by a 29% growth in the past decade, while Portland MSA has only grown 12% in the last decade. Why the horrible traffic in Portland? Mist be because they have a tiny freeway system with narrow freeways, most of which don't even have HOV or express lanes. They invested too much in their light rail system instead of building more freeways.

Last edited by MrJester; 10-22-2020 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-22-2020, 11:50 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,441,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Not Portland. They have ridiculously bad traffic for a smaller metro area that isn't a state capital or even has as much industry as Austin does. At least Austin MSA congestion can be explained by a 29% growth in the past decade, while Portland MSA has only grown 12% in the last decade. Why the horrible traffic in Portland? Mist be because they have a tiny freeway system with narrow freeways, most of which don't even have HOV or express lanes. They invested too much in their light rail system instead of building more freeways.
Agree, Seattle proper has way better traffic than Portland proper. The bus system is better too. Seattle is also building a more future proof lightrail system that actually goes to places people want to go and is a grade separated from surface traffic (UW, Capitol Hill, downtown, Chinatown, airport, Eastside burbs, Northgate).

Old 10-23-2020, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Agree, Seattle proper has way better traffic than Portland proper. The bus system is better too. Seattle is also building a more future proof lightrail system that actually goes to places people want to go and is a grade separated from surface traffic (UW, Capitol Hill, downtown, Chinatown, airport, Eastside burbs, Northgate).
I'm usually skeptical of cities West of the Mississippi building new rail transit, but I think Seattle and SF are exceptions. Seattle is doing everything right--its population growth is rapid, especially in Downtown. And as you mentioned, the light rail is actually going to major job centers, including Bellevue (or soon will be).

The only problem might be if CHAZ and Covid continue to tarnish the reputation of Downtown Seattle and push residents to the suburbs.

Just my thoughts, but last time I've been to Seattle was in 2011, so you know better.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:47 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,403,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Your opinion about freeways vs rail is opposite from any urban planner in the planet.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:02 AM

2,310 posts, read 1,731,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Hmm - pre-Covid I don’t think I agree with that. Seattle traffic was horrible not just on the highways but on the side streets as well. It could take an hour to travel 5-10 miles. Portland traffic is horrendous on the Columbia River Crossing but otherwise I think Seattle is worse overall. With Covid Seattle’s traffic has improved a lot and I haven’t been to Portland since last year so I’m not sure how they compare right now though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City