Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2020, 07:16 PM

955 posts, read 618,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Don't mean to nitpick but these are a bit misleading as Hispanics have no choice but mark themselves as "White," even when the majority in the US are mixed race. Seattle is definitely the more diverse metro overall, but it's not less non-Hispanic White.

Non-White Hispanic (Metro, 2019):
Seattle: 64%
Denver: 64%
Thank you for this, dear, I had the right number for Seattle but was looking at the wrong place for Denver. Still, white growth considerably higher in Denver and it seems these two will continue to diverge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 07:51 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,995,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
None of that disputes the fact that they have tons of similarities.
Such as?

Quote:
Not many major cities are quite into microbrews as much as Denver and Seattle. Outdoorsy people move to places like Denver and Seattle for those reasons, those people don't just move to random major cities because most cities can't compare to the outdoor activities that these metros provide.

LOL.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:20 PM

853 posts, read 339,546 times
Quote:
Denver and Seattle seem like long lost twins to me. Almlst all of the same values exist in both. Nashville and Austin feel too small.
I've never been to Seattle but my initial impression of Denver was that it was more like Minneapolis than any other city I've ever been to. The more urban residential neighborhoods of both are built out of nearly identical versions of 1920s streetcar suburbia. East Colfax and Lake Street are different versions of the same street and seem to play the same role in each cities' culture (although Lake Street has a fair amount of rubble now).

Old 10-25-2020, 08:29 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,687,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
I've never been to Seattle but my initial impression of Denver was that it was more like Minneapolis than any other city I've ever been to. The more urban residential neighborhoods of both are built out of nearly identical versions of 1920s streetcar suburbia. East Colfax and Lake Street are different versions of the same street and seem to play the same role in each cities' culture (although Lake Street has a fair amount of rubble now).
Lived in both Seattle and Denver. They're not really that alike other than both cities like the outdoors. Seattle is WAAAYYY more liberal, tech focused and way more Asian. Denver is closer to KC than Seattle.

Last edited by Gaylord_Focker; 10-25-2020 at 09:09 PM..

Old 10-25-2020, 09:01 PM

503 posts, read 804,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
I’ve lived in both Denver and Seattle and visited Minneapolis a few times. All 3 have similarities and are very different in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn’t say Denver is that similar to Minneapolis though. Denver is distinctly Western and Minneapolis is distinctly Midwestern. I will say Denver and Minneapolis both are on the more down to earth side. Too many Seattleites have a VERY superior attitude whereas you won’t find much of that in the other two cities.

Last edited by Gfitz1010; 10-25-2020 at 10:13 PM..

Old 10-26-2020, 09:28 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,441,924 times
Denver is more hipster.
Seattle is an interesting mix of grunge and tech (the 90s live strong in Seattle). Not too many bearded bar mustache hipsters here, they go to Portland.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:57 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,687,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Denver is more hipster.
Seattle is an interesting mix of grunge and tech (the 90s live strong in Seattle). Not too many bearded bar mustache hipsters here, they go to Portland.
Makes sense. Hipster crowds hate corporate right?

Old 10-26-2020, 02:20 PM

365 posts, read 233,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Lived in both Seattle and Denver. They're not really that alike other than both cities like the outdoors. Seattle is WAAAYYY more liberal, tech focused and way more Asian. Denver is closer to KC than Seattle.
City proper, Seattle is more liberal. But metro-wise they're pretty similar. Pierce and Snohomish Counties voted between 40% and 50% for Trump.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:21 PM

365 posts, read 233,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Denver is more hipster.
I seem to remember Capitol Hill having its share of hipsters, but you're right, nothing like Portland. I'd say comparable to Denver.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:55 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,739,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Not that being compared to KC is the knock some of y'all think it is (Very underrated city), but how is Denver any more similar to KC than it is to Seattle? They're just as different in topography, politics, economy, culture, population growth, climate, industry, architecture and demographics as Seattle and Denver are. Let's make it make sense guys lol.

I also don't get this narrative people on here try to paint that Denver (City) isn't that liberal. A city doesn't have to be on the extreme end of the spectrum and overzealous (Seattle) to be liberal. Just saying.

Last edited by Mezter; 10-26-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City