Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following cities is better?
Louisville 21 29.17%
Baltimore 51 70.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 03:55 AM

271 posts, read 459,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Tulsa would definitely be a valid comparison city for Louisville. Jackson would be a stretch, but it's not much more of a stretch than comparing Louisville to Baltimore.
Tulsa would be comparable to Lexington, KY not Louisville.

Louisville and Oklahoma city is a fair comparison, imo.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:26 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,630,132 times
Tulsa metro is the 55th largest in the United States at 961,561

Louisville metro is the 43rd largest in the United States at 1,262,261

Baltimore metro is the 20th largest in the United States at 2,770,738

No way is Baltimore the more valid comparison to Louisville rather than Tulsa when Louisville is only 300,000 people bigger than Tulsa yet Baltimore is 1.5 million people bigger than Louisville.

As others pointed out, Oklahoma City is the closest metro in Oklahoma size-wise to Louisville. It's the next largest metro (42nd largest) in the United States ahead of Louisville with 1,319,677 people.

Others metros that are the most comparable to Louisville size-wise are:

Jacksonville 1,394,624
Memphis 1,341,746
Richmond 1,245,764
New Orleans 1,240,977
Hartford 1,215,211
Birmingham 1,140,300
Buffalo 1,134,155

Raleigh and Salt Lake City MSAs are in the same league as well, but each of those places I think is more accurately described and defined by their CSAs.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:31 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy771 View Post
Tulsa would be comparable to Lexington, KY not Louisville.

Louisville and Oklahoma city is a fair comparison, imo.
Sure since the Oklahoma City MSA is bigger. Tulsa's MSA is just under a million and Louisville is like 1.25, it's not that bad (and a lot closer than Baltimore...).

^Beat me to it...

Old 10-05-2014, 11:33 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times
Why does the size of the city matter to these kinds of posts? San Antonio, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville are all larger than San Francisco, but we all know that SF is overall a better city than those three. It's also not much larger than Charlotte or Fort Worth. Memphis is larger than Boston or DC.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:54 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Why does the size of the city matter to these kinds of posts? San Antonio, Indianapolis, and Jacksonville are all larger than San Francisco, but we all know that SF is overall a better city than those three. It's also not much larger than Charlotte or Fort Worth. Memphis is larger than Boston or DC.
No one is talking about city limits because of the examples you gave, people usually use MSA numbers.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:23 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,072,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Treehorn View Post
I don't think you can legitimately compare these two - one is part of the Northeast corridor and 30 miles from Washington DC, the other on the border of Kentucky and Indiana and 110 miles from Cincinnati.

Louisville should be compared to Tulsa, OK or Jackson, MS for a more valid arguement.
It's 110 miles to Indy too. This is the perfect comparison to start a dumpster fire here on C-D. I'm assuming the OP looked at city population list and ended there. Tis unfair to Louisville to put it next to a power hitter like Baltimore. It will distract from the many awesome things happening here in Louisville, and have people talking about how it sucks compared to a much bigger metro.

Come on, if anyone insists on creating these dumb City v City threads, don't just pull out the latest census bureau data and think " these two cities are close in population", it's friggen ignorant. If someone starts a thread "El Paso vs. Boston" due to "similar city size" i'm going to organize a revolt.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:49 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,383,329 times
I've never understood this obsession with population on these boards. I've lived in both Asia and Europe in several countries and people there don't say..."well, Tokyo is 4 times larger than Hong Kong...no comparison" "Seoul is 6 times larger than Singapore..comparisons not allowed".."Moscow is 3 times larger than Berlin...end of discussion".

Of course Louisville and Baltimore can be compared. Louisville wins in Bourbon, tobacco, paddle boats and horseracing. See...not too hard. Both are very historic cities that are the largest in their respective states. Louisville seems to fly under the radar but it seems to be gradually regaining some lost prominence....whereas Baltimore is sadly losing some of its stature to the federal monster down the road.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 AM

406 posts, read 486,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I've never understood this obsession with population on these boards. I've lived in both Asia and Europe in several countries and people there don't say..."well, Tokyo is 4 times larger than Hong Kong...no comparison" "Seoul is 6 times larger than Singapore..comparisons not allowed".."Moscow is 3 times larger than Berlin...end of discussion".

Of course Louisville and Baltimore can be compared. Louisville wins in Bourbon, tobacco, paddle boats and horseracing. See...not too hard. Both are very historic cities that are the largest in their respective states. Louisville seems to fly under the radar but it seems to be gradually regaining some lost prominence....whereas Baltimore is sadly losing some of its stature to the federal monster down the road.
I'll give you horse racing, but it's by no means a landslide. Baltimore is home to the Preakness Stakes aka the Triple Crown race immediately following the Kentucky Derby.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
For me, Louisville only wins on a couple of those categories. That said, in terms of my personal interest, I'm slightly more attracted to Louisville than Baltimore. My opinion comes from only having visited both cities twice, for about three days each.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:48 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,218,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
For me, Louisville only wins on a couple of those categories. That said, in terms of my personal interest, I'm slightly more attracted to Louisville than Baltimore. My opinion comes from only having visited both cities twice, for about three days each.
What were your likes and dislikes about both cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City