Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following cities is better?
Louisville 21 29.17%
Baltimore 51 70.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:57 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I consider it a Southern city, but you can't miss the obvious Midwestern influences, especially since its metro area actually extends into neighboring Indiana, a Midwestern state. I certainly wouldn't call it a "full blown Southern city" in the way a city like Birmingham is considered to be.
Southern Indiana is actually pretty southern. Accents run rampant down there. You'll probably find more twang in the accents on the Indiana side in the smaller suburbs than you would from Louisville proper. That being said I agree, it's not even close to the same kind of southerness as a city like Birmingham or Jackson.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
Elaborate on quite a bit in common. All they have in common today is they sit on the Ohio River. Historically yes they may have things in common, but from a modern standpoint, they are demographically, linguistically, and culturally different. Cincinnati is Midwestern with Southern influences, Louisville is Southern with Midwestern influences.
Do you get that just because one sits on the north side of the river and one on the south side of the river?

Southern Ohio is pretty country as well, even the outlying towns and cities surrounding Cincinnati.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 AM

2,507 posts, read 3,383,329 times
Quote:
Elaborate on quite a bit in common. All they have in common today is they sit on the Ohio River. Historically yes they may have things in common, but from a modern standpoint, they are demographically, linguistically, and culturally different. Cincinnati is Midwestern with Southern influences, Louisville is Southern with Midwestern influences.
Frankly....after reading your responses to this thread I am more inclined to avoid interaction with you...you seem like you might need a bit of therapy and city data ain't the place for that.

Anyhow...the cities have had very close commercial contact with one another from their foundings.

And Louisville, unlike virtually any southern American city, had a significant German-American population.

History of the Germans in Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This map shows German-American population in the States...Louisville and Cincinnati are clearly visible as the southernmost of the cities with a large German heritage. I can attest to that having a close friend who manages a well-known brewpub in Louisville.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...German1346.gif

The two cities are just 100 miles from each other, they both straddle the same river...how could they not have a long historic relationship?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:08 AM

89 posts, read 128,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Do you get that just because one sits on the north side of the river and one on the south side of the river?

Southern Ohio is pretty country as well, even the outlying towns and cities surrounding Cincinnati.
I disagree about the towns surrounding immediately surrounding Cincy. I have friends from some of those towns and they aren't Southern at all. You really are lazy aren't you.Type in Southern dialect map on google. You will see that virtually every single map places Louisville and Cincinnati in different dialect regions. And yes, I'm aware places like Portsmouth and other areas in Southeast Ohio lean Southern. Southeastern Ohio is the part of Ohio that leans the most Southern, and leans way more Southern than Southwest Ohio. Cincinnati and Dayton are culturally and linguistically more like Columbus than Louisville and that is an undeniable fact. I have more friends than I can count on my fingers are from Cincinnati and not a single one says they are like Louisvillians. As you go Southeast of Cincinnati, I agree the towns take on a more Southern feel. If hard evidence and sources aren't enough to satisfy your appetite, I guess I'm wasting my time. Below are only several maps of many like them showing Cincinnati and Louisville and their surrounding areas to have different dialects.

http://dlsanthology.commons.mla.org/...chmar-fig6.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/jztjdj.jpg

Last edited by mrfgsn; 10-22-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 10-22-2014, 10:13 AM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
You really are lazy aren't you.Type in Southern dialect map on google. You will see that virtually every single map places Louisville and Cincinnati in different dialect regions.
A lot of those dialect maps are old and they aren't precise down down to the quarter mile anyway. Given Louisville's proximity to Ohio, it wouldn't be surprising if there's some mish mash of midland and southern dialects. I would imagine the same thing occurs in and around Cincinnati.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:16 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
Louisville is not that southern people.. its more Midwestern in feel.. Louisville is nothing like Nashville, Memphis or Atlanta. Louisville is more like Cincy, indy and Pittsburgh than the Southern cities.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:17 AM

From a Louisville news outlet.

Quote:
Louisville's geographic location has always led to that question of whether it's a Southern city or a Midwestern city. A series of interactive maps looking at dialects shows that it's both.
Can Dialect Maps Tell if Kentucky is More Southern or Midwestern? | WFPL

Old 10-22-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Frankly....after reading your responses to this thread I am more inclined to avoid interaction with you...you seem like you might need a bit of therapy and city data ain't the place for that.

Anyhow...the cities have had very close commercial contact with one another from their foundings.

And Louisville, unlike virtually any southern American city, had a significant German-American population.

History of the Germans in Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This map shows German-American population in the States...Louisville and Cincinnati are clearly visible as the southernmost of the cities with a large German heritage. I can attest to that having a close friend who manages a well-known brewpub in Louisville.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...German1346.gif

The two cities are just 100 miles from each other, they both straddle the same river...how could they not have a long historic relationship?
Therapy for what? Telling the truth? Not agreeing with you? FYI, I acknowledged they have a historic relationship, but today they are culturally, demographically, and linguistically different. Louisville has Midwestern influences, like German heritage and a large number of Catholics, but also has a large amount of Southern Baptists, speaks with a Southern accent and is culturally Southern. New Orleans also has a lot of Catholics, yet I don't hear people crying out it's not Southern because of that. Look at the cuisine it's famous for, look at the giant Jefferson Davis monument in the middle of its downtown. How is that not Southern? I may have said Louisville was full-blown Southern, I acknowledge that was a mistake. I was angry. However, I will continue to assert that to say Cincinnati and Louisville are twins is a mistake. Cincinnati is completely Midwestern in speech patterns, demographics, culture, and pretty much history. A Louisville accent sounds distinctly Southern in nature and sweet tea was present in that city long before any place in the Midwest.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Therapy for what? Telling the truth? Not agreeing with you? FYI, I acknowledged they have a historic relationship, but today they are culturally, demographically, and linguistically different. Louisville has Midwestern influences, like German heritage and a large number of Catholics, but also has a large amount of Southern Baptists, speaks with a Southern accent and is culturally Southern. New Orleans also has a lot of Catholics, yet I don't hear people crying out it's not Southern because of that. Look at the cuisine it's famous for, look at the giant Jefferson Davis monument in the middle of its downtown. How is that not Southern? I may have said Louisville was full-blown Southern, I acknowledge that was a mistake. I was angry. However, I will continue to assert that to say Cincinnati and Louisville are twins is a mistake. Cincinnati is completely Midwestern in speech patterns, demographics, culture, and pretty much history. A Louisville accent sounds distinctly Southern in nature and sweet tea was present in that city long before any place in the Midwest.
You realize there's a Robert E. Lee Park in Baltimore and that 3 of the city's 4 Civil War monuments are dedicated to the Confederacy, right?

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Baltimore. | Maryland Historical Society

Battling Monuments | Baltimore City Paper

Old 10-22-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A lot of those dialect maps are old and they aren't precise down down to the quarter mile anyway. Given Louisville's proximity to Ohio, it wouldn't be surprising if there's some mish mash of midland and southern dialects. I would imagine the same thing occurs in and around Cincinnati.
That's funny you're not so quick to dismiss old things about Maryland yet you're willing to do it here. At most these maps are 25 years old, maybe 15 years old. it's more likely the northern limits of the Southern dialect would have receded further given the more current generations speak tend to speak with flatter accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City