Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following cities is better?
Louisville 21 29.17%
Baltimore 51 70.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:23 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Louisville and Baltimore both had heavy manufacturing bases that attracted European immigrants.

Both cities attracted migrants from Southern Appalachia to work in their factories.

Louisville and Baltimore were also large whiskey producers.

Louisville and Baltimore were both home to thriving bluegrass music scenes.

Louisville and Baltimore have a similar percentage of Catholics.

Louisville and Baltimore are both located in Census-designated southern states and share characteristics of places to the North and South of them.

Both are located in historically southern states that didn't secede from the Union.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 PM

89 posts, read 128,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Louisville and Baltimore both had heavy manufacturing bases that attracted European immigrants.

Louisville and Baltimore were also large whiskey producers.

Louisville and Baltimore are both located in Census-designated southern states and share characteristics of places to the North and South of them.
You fail to distinguish one thing...Louisville has more characteristics of places that are to the south, Baltimore has more characteristics of places to the North. The end. This bickering is senseless. Soon you will be preaching how much more northern Atlanta is compared to Chicago. You think Philadelphia is half-Southern. What's next?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:07 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
Really. So they don't have Southern accents, don't have Southern cuisine, and 1/5 of their population isn't Southern Baptist, and their entire history isn't Southern? I might give that Louisville has a Midwestern feel, and some other Midwestern influences, but it is a Southern city first.
1/5 are Baptist? Or southern Baptist? Big difference, especially if you compare Baptist churches in Louisville vs Birmingham. We have Baptist churches in northern Indiana, doesn't make it southern. Louisville is a mostly Catholic city, which is extremely rare throughout most of the south, I think that gives it strong midwestern ties.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:10 PM

mrfgsn you really are making yourself look quite silly by continuing this argument. BajanYankee seems to be winning this hands down, he seems like the only one with a level head, you're making all sorts of terrible analogies. No one is saying Atlanta is northern and Chicago is southern, where do you get this stuff?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:28 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Southern Indiana is actually pretty southern. Accents run rampant down there. You'll probably find more twang in the accents on the Indiana side in the smaller suburbs than you would from Louisville proper. That being said I agree, it's not even close to the same kind of southerness as a city like Birmingham or Jackson.
True; I've seen maps of the cultural South include small portions of Midwestern states (southern IN, IL, MO, etc.). But obviously a city that straddles a regional border will naturally have influences from both regions.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True; I've seen maps of the cultural South include small portions of Midwestern states (southern IN, IL, MO, etc.). But obviously a city that straddles a regional border will naturally have influences from both regions.
There's a wall on the northern bank of the Ohio River and along the Pennsylvania-Maryland border. This wall allows influences from the North to permeate it and influence the South, but it blocks the South from influencing the North. There cannot be any southern influences in "the North." Now way, no how.

It has also been said in a different thread that a northern state can never border a southern state.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
mrfgsn you really are making yourself look quite silly by continuing this argument. BajanYankee seems to be winning this hands down, he seems like the only one with a level head, you're making all sorts of terrible analogies. No one is saying Atlanta is northern and Chicago is southern, where do you get this stuff?
Some posters were really hurt when I posted these quotes. I was accused of trying to make the city "look bad."

Quote:
Baltimore is a southern city. When I came here, Baltimore was as southern, if not more so, as my hometown of Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Nathaniel Branson - Social Work - UMBC

Quote:
The glimmering glass pavilions, pyramid-shaped aquarium and spiffy red-brick downtown baseball park that today lure tourists by the millions to Baltimore's Inner Harbor were little more than blueprints on a developer's drawing board when, in 1970, I first left the sleepy Southern town of my birth.
Quote:
But it was only by leaving that I learned to appreciate the enduring (and endearing) eccentricities of Baltimore's distinctive neighborhoods. Only by moving north have I discovered just how deeply rooted in the South this mid-Atlantic city really is.
WEEKEND EXCURSION - How Dowdy Old Baltimore Turned Fashionable - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Washington, D.C., was a city of Southern culture, like Richmond. So was Baltimore. . . from a cultural point of view, until all the goddamned government workers moved in from strange, horrible Northern places like Ohio and Minnesota and took over.
Washington City Paper: John Fahey, 1939–2001

Quote:
Baltimore has been described as a sleepy southern town and a commercial-industrial center . . . With cities to the South, it shares longstanding trade routes, a relaxed pace of life, and and a history deeply informed by slavery and Jim Crow. With cities to the north it shares a history of industrialization (and deindustrializtion) along with the ethnic diversity that comes with being a major port of immigration.
400 Years of History | Baltimore National Heritage Area

That's very similar to Louisville.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
EXACTLY!

Old 10-22-2014, 04:52 PM

89 posts, read 128,570 times
Quote:
I didn't ask for your opinion. You definitely have something ailing you, care to tell us what it is? I wassaying BajanYankee thinks Texas is not part of the South, Louisville is more Northern than Cincinnati or Baltimore. You tell me how he's winning that argument hands down. Anyone with common sense knows that neither Cincy or Baltimore are Southern or even an undistinguishable blend. Cincinnati certainly isn't.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:54 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
I wonder if the Madrid fault goes...and for some strange geological reason...the Ohio River shifted north around Cincinnati and south around Louisville...would Cincy then be Southern and Louisville Northern?????

A question for mrfgsn to profoundly cogitate on. I'm sure his opinion will be the only one worth listening to....after all the rest of us can't possibly know what we are talking about.

For the rest of you...here is a well-written article on the subject.

South of the Middle [Louisville Magazine] | Louisville.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City