Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following cities is better?
Louisville 21 29.17%
Baltimore 51 70.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 PM

32,114 posts, read 34,747,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
He's saying Louisville is more Catholic than Cincinnati or Baltimore, yet there are more Catholics in both areas. Doesn't make any sense.
It makes a lot of sense. Baltimore is a Blacker city than NYC. However, NYC has 2,000,000 Blacks compared to Baltimore's 390,000.

Do you think NYC is Blacker than Baltimore simply because its raw number of Blacks is greater?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:04 PM

89 posts, read 128,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
1/5 of them might be Southern Bapist, but 2/3rds of them are Catholic. I think it's more gray. Feels like Louisville has more northern influences than southern. So call the accent southern but it's identical to southern Indiana/ Ohio and most of the time you don't hear it at all. Whereas when I'm in Birmingham the people have much thicker accents.
Heard the accent all the time when I was there. It's an accent similar to the rest of the Upper South.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It makes a lot of sense. Baltimore is a Blacker city than NYC. However, NYC has 2,000,000 Blacks compared to Baltimore's 390,000.

Do you think NYC is Blacker than Baltimore simply because its raw number of Blacks is greater?
Are you saying Catholics as a percentage of the whole population? Whatever. I suppose you believe Louisville is a Yankee city and that Baltimore and Cincinnati are more Southern than Louisville. Completing your backwards view of pretty much everything.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Are you saying Catholics as a percentage of the whole population?
Yes, that's usually what we mean here on C-D, stlouisan. You've had enough accounts on here and have been around long enough to know this by now.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:10 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,072,422 times
Quote:
Heard the accent all the time when I was there. It's an accent similar to the rest of the Upper South.
The upper south.......or the lower midwest?

Quote:
He's saying Louisville is more Catholic than Cincinnati or Baltimore, yet there are more Catholics in both areas. Doesn't make any sense. I've been looking up old threads on Louisville and many of them say the polar opposite of what is being said on this thread. That Louisville is a Southern city. And that Southern Indiana/Southern Ohio accent, of which Cincinnati is not a part, is a Southern accent, indistinguishable from Kentucky or West Virginia. I actually wonder how many people in this thread have even been to Louisville.

Hi my name is Matt, and my zip code is 40223.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's usually what we mean here on C-D, stlouisan. You've had enough accounts on here and have been around long enough to know this by now.
That's not my name. Whatever. I hope you enjoy living in the fantasy world that Louisville is more Northern than Cincinnati or Baltimore. If you honestly believe that, I hope you realize how stupid that is.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:16 PM

Hmm.

Quote:
"Success in helping the foreign-born population start and grow businesses will be a big boost not only to the local economy but, coupled with existing capacities in entrepreneurship across the nation, may establish Louisville as the entrepreneurial hub of the Midwest," Kulkarni said in the report.
RISE program for immigrants looking to boost Louisville's status as an entreprenurial hub - Louisville - Louisville Business First

Midwest Music Festival |

If we're going to stick to the "regions don't stop at state lines thing," then I don't see why Louisville wouldn't at least have an argument for being a Midwestern city.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The upper south.......or the lower midwest?

Hi my name is Matt, and my zip code is 40223.
Go away Matt. Upper South to answer your question. Louisville's accent sounds nothing like a Cincinnati or St. Louis or even an Indy accent. It sounds Southern. Quit taunting me. You're not very good at it.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Hmm.

RISE program for immigrants looking to boost Louisville's status as an entreprenurial hub - Louisville - Louisville Business First

Midwest Music Festival |

If we're going to stick to the "regions don't stop at state lines thing," then I don't see why Louisville wouldn't at least have an argument for being a Midwestern city.
THen you need to at least leave an argument for Baltimore being a Northeastern city, which you don't. The fact you would rather group in Louisville with the North before Baltimore shows me just how much you shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm from a Midwestern city, and I can tell you with certainty that Louisville doesn't belong in the same region. Enough with you and your stupid quotes. They are the opinions of people, not facts. Louisville is a Southern city that wants to be a Midwestern one, but just doesn't have enough of the criteria to do it. I suggest you go back to arguing for Baltimore being Southern. LOL I am dying..Louisville more Northern than Baltimore...no. Just no.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:22 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,072,422 times
I'm from a midwestern city too, and I can see more than few midwestern influences in and around this town. You can't scientifically prove anything, anymore than any of us counter arguing can. It would appear that the Ohio River is an impenetrable barrier by which south and north and midwest very definitely end. It's just not that black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City