Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following cities is better?
Louisville 21 29.17%
Baltimore 51 70.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 AM

89 posts, read 128,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You realize there's a Robert E. Lee Park in Baltimore and that 3 of the city's 4 Civil War monuments are dedicated to the Confederacy, right?

Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument, Baltimore. | Maryland Historical Society

Battling Monuments | Baltimore City Paper
Ok fine. Louisville is Northern. Cincinnati is Southern. Baltimore is Southern. Have your fun. If you've ever been to Louisville, you would realize how different it is from the Midwest. I can't believe you are more quick to group Louisville in the North than Baltimore. Louisville is far more Southern than Baltimore from a modern standpoint.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
A lot of those dialect maps are old and they aren't precise down down to the quarter mile anyway. Given Louisville's proximity to Ohio, it wouldn't be surprising if there's some mish mash of midland and southern dialects. I would imagine the same thing occurs in and around Cincinnati.
Amazing. You think you are more qualified than the professional who did this study. Let's see you comment on St. Louis.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Louisville is not that southern people.. its more Midwestern in feel.. Louisville is nothing like Nashville, Memphis or Atlanta. Louisville is more like Cincy, indy and Pittsburgh than the Southern cities.
Really. So they don't have Southern accents, don't have Southern cuisine, and 1/5 of their population isn't Southern Baptist, and their entire history isn't Southern? I might give that Louisville has a Midwestern feel, and some other Midwestern influences, but it is a Southern city first.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,097,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
Really. So they don't have Southern accents, don't have Southern cuisine, and 1/5 of their population isn't Southern Baptist, and their entire history isn't Southern? I might give that Louisville has a Midwestern feel, and some other Midwestern influences, but it is a Southern city first.
1/5 of them might be Southern Bapist, but 2/3rds of them are Catholic. I think it's more gray. Feels like Louisville has more northern influences than southern. So call the accent southern but it's identical to southern Indiana/ Ohio and most of the time you don't hear it at all. Whereas when I'm in Birmingham the people have much thicker accents.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM

2,513 posts, read 3,399,844 times
I was going to mention the Catholic heritage in the area which stands out quite visibly in this map...the Kentucky counties bordering the rive are definitely more Catholic than your typical Southern area.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jCLJb9lPZa.../Catholics.jpg

Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM

32,158 posts, read 34,838,587 times
Louisville is actually more Catholic than Cincinnati and Baltimore.

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Baltimore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cincinnati - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Less Catholic than St. Louis.

Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Louis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-22-2014, 11:20 AM

Define more Catholic. I just saw there are twice as many Catholics in the Baltimore area as in Louisville.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:58 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,097,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
Define more Catholic. I just saw there are twice as many Catholics in the Baltimore area as in Louisville.
How is that surprising? The Baltimore Diocese is twice as populated.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:02 PM

32,158 posts, read 34,838,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
How is that surprising? There Baltimore Diocese is twice as populated.
Exactly. It's the same way Rhode Island is more Italian than Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Colorado and California despite having fewer Italians in absolute number.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
How is that surprising? The Baltimore Diocese is twice as populated.
He's saying Louisville is more Catholic than Cincinnati or Baltimore, yet there are more Catholics in both areas. Doesn't make any sense. I've been looking up old threads on Louisville and many of them say the polar opposite of what is being said on this thread. That Louisville is a Southern city. And that Southern Indiana/Southern Ohio accent, of which Cincinnati is not a part, is a Southern accent, indistinguishable from Kentucky or West Virginia. I actually wonder how many people in this thread have even been to Louisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City