Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:05 AM

484 posts, read 874,087 times

Advertisements

1. New York
2. San Francisco
3. Los Angeles
4. Washington, D.C.
5. Chicago
6. Boston
7. Philadelphia
8. Seattle
9. Denver
10. San Jose

Access Across America
Rankings were determined by a weighted average of accessibility, giving a higher weight to closer jobs. The calculations include all components of a transit journey, including “last mile” access and egress walking segments and transfers.

America's 10 Best Cities for Commuting on Public Transit | WIRED
The report, by Andrew Owen and David Levinson, defines accessibility as “the ease of reaching valued destinations,” in this case jobs. Simply put, it’s an examination of how easy it is for people to get to work.

Each metro region is ranked by how long it takes people to get to work: Jobs that can be reached within 10 minutes are worth more than those accessible with 20 minutes, and so on, up to 60 minutes. Data for job locations is drawn from the Census Bureau, and the time it takes to get there is measured using “detailed pedestrian networks” and full transit schedules for weekdays between 7 and 9 am.

The method accounts for things like how long it takes to walk from a transit stop to a destination and transfer times from one bus or subway line to another. Importantly, it also factors in service frequency and includes the time people spend waiting for a bus or train to arrive.

This approach, Owen and Levinson write, “avoids the assumption that transit service with 30-minute frequency is as valuable as service with 10-minute frequency and that users suffer no inconvenience from adjusting to personal schedules to match transit schedules.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 02:22 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,222,666 times
This is the link I'd think most people would want access to:

Access Across America

Old 10-10-2014, 02:39 PM

7,302 posts, read 10,648,418 times
The ranking that is likely most surprising is Los Angeles. Milwaukee is also a little higher than I'd expect.

Not that I'm implying that this study is at all inaccurate, but it is interesting and demonstrates that, despite a smaller transit system relative to its size, LA must do very well with locating routes near job centers -- which is extremely important.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:55 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,546,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
The ranking that is likely most surprising is Los Angeles. Milwaukee is also a little higher than I'd expect.
Milwaukee has higher city density than most likely think and has some of the lowest overall commute times of any major city.

Or is this just transit sans drive times?

Old 10-10-2014, 03:09 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,359,601 times
Here's my top 3 in order:

1. New York
2. DC
3. Chicago

Old 10-10-2014, 05:59 PM

672 posts, read 760,755 times
Buses, being tied to the road network, are far inferior to rail systems. Moreover, once buses reach a certain frequency, they begin to 'clump', turning up in twos or threes with long stretches in between. These rankings don't give enough weight to rail.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,901,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Not that I'm implying that this study is at all inaccurate, but it is interesting and demonstrates that, despite a smaller transit system relative to its size, LA must do very well with locating routes near job centers -- which is extremely important.
It's because LA has a very comprehensive bus network that runs on a grid pattern that pretty much overlays the entire lower half of the county. One thing that the study does point out is that as the travel times decrease (i.e. jobs within 60, 30, 10 minutes) Los Angeles does go down a bit in the rankings, though it still stays among the top - I believe this is a result of LA not really having one big huge jobs node but instead a handful of nodes that allow many residents to be within close transit range of at least one job center.

Los Angeles has the 3rd highest transit ridership in the nation, so the ranking actually is not that surprising to me, though I do not think it means LA has the 3rd best transit system in the country. Essentially what it says is that I can access just about any place in urban Los Angeles County on the transit system - granted, it might take 3 hours to go from North Hills to Carson, but I can get there. Overall though, LA has a way better transit system than it gets credit for. I use it a few times a week to go from Pasadena to DTLA (on the train) and it is awesome for my needs.

This link has a table with some stats about Metro bus stops/routes/etc:

View of every Metro bus stop on a map | Metro's The Source

and the actual map:

http://www.metro.net/interactives/gm...tes/bus_stops/

Also keep in mind that these do not include municipal bus operators, some of which are quite extensive (LB Transit, SM Big Blue Bus, Foothill Transit) and sometimes replace Metro routes (BBB on the Westside in particular).

Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,158 posts, read 7,629,552 times
Not sure if SF is ahead of DC when considering the whole metro area. I'm not as familiar with the transit in the Bay, but I know it's a dense area. Do the numbers of people using transit there come close to DC region?

Bart extends pretty far like the Metro but doesn't have nearly as many stations as DC. In a thread about transit accessibility to jobs this would be of importance.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:28 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,384,254 times
If LA is ranked above DC, Chicago, Boston and Philly, then you know the ranking is a joke.

And no, don't give me "but LA has good bus service". These other metros generally have equally good or better bus service, and overall far higher transit share. Jobs are scattered all over LA/OC, usually in areas with poor transit access. In contrast, jobs in DC, Chicago, Boston and Philly tend to be concentrated along transit.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:31 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,384,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Los Angeles has the 3rd highest transit ridership in the nation, so the ranking actually is not that surprising to me, though I do not think it means LA has the 3rd best transit system in the country.
LA has nearly 20 million people. Excepting NYC (which is even larger), no other metro area in the U.S. even has 10 million people.

So LA's high transit ridership is purely a function of size. It has an enormous population, basically twice that of any other metro area (again, excluding NYC, which is a huge outlier anyways in terms of population and transit share).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City