Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a good place for people from a small town.
Washington DC 22 33.85%
Chicago 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:47 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

I don't think size would really make a difference to a person from a small town. But I think some things favor DC in this comparison.

-It is smaller and less urban. DC has around 640,000 people and Chicago has around 2.7 million.

-The DC area is more dominated by suburbs. About 11% of the DC MSA actually lives in the core city. In the Chicago MSA, 28% do.

-It is slower-paced with less street activity. In DC, you can walk down the street with little hassle. In Downtown Chicago, you have pedestrian traffic that's comparable to Fifth Avenue in certain parts. That may be too much.

-DC has less nightlife. This may be a good thing if you're more of the homebody type. Chicago always ranks high on nightlife, which may be a bit offputting for someone not accustomed to the fast life.

-DC gets most of its transplants from the South. So if you're from a southern town, you may find it more hospitable and comforting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 09:41 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You are a 55-year old lifetime member of Phi Beta Sigma. Of course you will take DC over NYC everyday of the week. It's all the pace you can handle...which is little.

I mean, we've already seen your idea of "high energy." We've got the 11,000 pedestrians a day on 7th Street (compared to the 55,000 on the Mag Mile). We've got the 12 bars and restaurants in Anacostia. We've got the two, 24-hour restaurants in the entire city. We've got bars that are so "high energy" and all consuming that DC posters log into C-D on a Friday night and post from said bars. And we have a city where the most notable "celebrity" residents are David Gregory and Chuck Todd. No wonder the Research Triangle draws so many comparisons to DC. They are both nice, stable family towns.

Every single poster on here knows I am in my 20's and you were in your 20's in the 1990's. Just look at the things we talk about. I mean, look how many places you have lived. Who in their 20's has even been around to do all the things you have done yet. Most people just got out of college a few years ago. There is nothing wrong with being older, you just need to realize you're not going to have much in common with Generation Y. You probably said the same thing to your parents. If you're not an 80's baby, how much can you possibly have in common with me?

Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Every single poster on here knows I am in my 20's and you were in your 20's in the 1990's. Just look at the things we talk about. I mean, look how many places you have lived. Who in their 20's has even been around to do all the things you have done yet. Most people just got out of college a few years ago. There is nothing wrong with being older, you just need to realize you're not going to have much in common with Generation Y. You probably said the same thing to your parents. If you're not an 80's baby, how much can you possibly have in common with me?
LOL. You are such a liar. Here's what you said on July 2, 2013.

Quote:
I am 29 and my friends are between 26 and 30.
Today is Monday, November 17, 2014. The post above was over a year ago. How could you still be in your 20s? Why are you on here lying about your age? I remember you were claiming to be 29 four years ago.

This sounds like the classic case of a 55-year old Sigma in denial. You can't be going to Howard parties with a beard full of grey hair lying to these young girls about your age. Do they know you were Fall Line of '75?

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-17-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-17-2014, 10:14 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Where are all the Chicagoans?

Also, there is no comparison between NYC and DC in terms of events, concerts, things to do in general. However, why are we doing a comparison of NYC and DC in the first place?

Like, what about Chicago? How about that comparison to DC?

Also, do you reckon if the Circle Line was built, would that dramatically change Chicago? It'd open up new commuting patterns and link places that previously had to go through the Loop. It seems like Chicago has so much potential for redevelopment all over given how much infrastructure was created back when the city was something like a million people more populous.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
LOL. You are such a liar. Here's what you said on July 2, 2013.

Today is Monday, November 17, 2014. The post above was over a year ago. How could you still be in your 20s? Why are you on here lying about your age? I remember you were claiming to be 29 four years ago.

This sounds like the classic case of a 55-year old Sigma in denial. You can't be going to Howard parties with a beard full of grey hair lying to these young girls about your age. Do they know you were Fall Line of 75?

HUH? When did I say I was 29 four years ago? Also, I just turned 30 this past summer. I still say I'm in my 20's. Maybe its because I'm going the wrong direction lol.... Anyway, my point is, I'm an 80's baby and you're not. What exactly do we have in common?

Old 11-17-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
HUH? When did I say I was 29 four years ago? Also, I just turned 30 this past summer. I still say I'm in my 20's. Maybe its because I'm going the wrong direction lol....
You have no credibility, sir. I mean, why would you lie about something like that? Are your eggs going bad?

Quote:
Anyway, my point is, I'm an 80's baby and you're not. What exactly do we have in common?
You must mean you're in your 80s. Or maybe you mean Fall Line of 1980. In that case, we have nothing in common. You can't be walking around lying at college parties when you're 55 years old, man.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
You have no credibility, sir. I mean, why would you lie about something like that? Are your eggs going bad?

How is that lieing? I guess, you could say that is lieing. Either way, my point had more to do with the gap in what you and I like.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:

You must mean you're in your 80s. Or maybe you mean Fall Line of 1980. In that case, we have nothing in common. You can't be walking around lying at college parties when you're 55 years old, man.
Well for one, who goes to college parties unless you're in college? Second, who goes to Howard parties unless you're not from D.C.?

Old 11-17-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
How is that lieing? I guess, you could say that is lieing. Either way, my point had more to do with the gap in what you and I like.
So you admit you're a liar. That calls into question everything you've ever said. Credibility destroyed.

BTW, it's lying not lieing. I know you're a product of DC public schools, but c'mon man.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Well for one, who goes to college parties unless you're in college? Second, who goes to Howard parties unless you're not from D.C.?
55-year old lifetime members of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. That's who.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City