Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a good place for people from a small town.
Washington DC 22 33.85%
Chicago 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 14,212 times

Advertisements

Hi instead of posting a question in a thread I decided to make a poll. Ive never lived in a big city before and just would like to know which of these two cities would be a nice place to live based on these qualities,
1. Cultural amenities
2. Lifestyle
3. Mass transportation
4. Cost of living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,103,187 times
Neither. Just pic a suburb as far out as you can.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:23 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,221,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydavis View Post
Hi instead of posting a question in a thread I decided to make a poll. Ive never lived in a big city before and just would like to know which of these two cities would be a nice place to live based on these qualities,
1. Cultural amenities
2. Lifestyle
3. Mass transportation
4. Cost of living
Chicago and its suburbs are cheaper than DC and it's suburbs. The DC area is really expensive. What you'd pay to rent an apartment in some place like Alexandria, VA, you could rent a place in downtown Chicago for that. Both offer mass transit and great cultural amenities, but being from a small town, you may prefer Chicago better, as in DC everyone is all about your education, where you work or what your G-level is with the Feds when it comes to socializing. Chicago is fast-paced but more laid back than that.

Up against the major cities on either coast, Chicago is cheaper than all of them.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:27 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,129,718 times
I voted for Chicago, but I think they would be about the same.

I would think these two cities have a higher % of its transplants being originally from small town America than NYC or LA.

Chicago because its the hub of the midwest and midwest has a higher % of people from small towns than California or the east coast, and because DC has an equal representation of people from all over the country from urban to rural working there.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:39 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,393,358 times
I would go with Chicago. The suburbs are very nice and the city is very driveable. The DC Beltway has some of the worst traffic jams, not to mention all the diplomats who don't have to follow traffic rules.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:45 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Chicago and its suburbs are cheaper than DC and it's suburbs. The DC area is really expensive. What you'd pay to rent an apartment in some place like Alexandria, VA, you could rent a place in downtown Chicago for that. Both offer mass transit and great cultural amenities, but being from a small town, you may prefer Chicago better, as in DC everyone is all about your education, where you work or what your G-level is with the Feds when it comes to socializing. Chicago is fast-paced but more laid back than that.

Up against the major cities on either coast, Chicago is cheaper than all of them.
Well said!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Neither. Just pic a suburb as far out as you can.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the entire thread?

I know a lot of people from rural areas, farms and small towns that went away to college and then moved to Chicago and did great. They always call it a "city of neighborhoods", but I didn't realize what they meant until I came here. It really is like 100 small towns all squished into one, it's very livable and down to earth in most of the residential areas.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,533,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I would go with Chicago. The suburbs are very nice and the city is very driveable. The DC Beltway has some of the worst traffic jams, not to mention all the diplomats who don't have to follow traffic rules.
Chicago traffic is straight-crap, as well. I don't see a traffic advantage with either one of them.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:45 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,352,791 times
DC might be too fast paced for you and it's not as laid back as Chicago. Chicago might be a better choice

Old 11-12-2014, 11:15 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
I'm not sure if being from a small town affects your preferences for cities. I have one friend who grew up in a small town and now lives in an exurb of a medium-sized metro. I have another friend who grew up in a small town and has lived in Manhattan since finishing college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City