Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a good place for people from a small town.
Washington DC 22 33.85%
Chicago 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:48 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's bizarre that the DC posters keep saying something that has been disproven by facts.

FACTS LIKE THIS???? Transportation numbers don't lie. More people (BUSIER) are on transit in DC as a percentage than Chicago. It's significant. 38% versus something like 26%. DC has much worse (BUSIER) traffic. DC has a (BUSIER) Amtrak station during the week. DT DC swells by 75%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 08:49 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Hmmmm. You are not making any sense. Daytime population increases have a direct effect on a city's pace of life. DC, which has a population of 650,000, grows by 75% during the day to over 1.1 million people. This effect does has an enormous bearing on the pace of life in the city? My data tells me that more than 500,000 people flood the cities core everyday and those people use transit in the morning, go to their offices, run errands, eat lunch, go to doctors appointments, happy hour, shop, and then use transit again to leave the city. You cannot hide 500,000 people. Give it up.
It does make sense. A lot of the commuters to Chicago's Loop come from within the city of Chicago. That's 2.7 million people. DC, being a ridiculously small city, has a lot of people commuting in from Virginia and Maryland. Someone commuting in from Silver Spring, which is right across the border, is technically commuting in from a different jurisdiction whereas someone on the far South Side of Chicago (who might be commuting a longer distance) is not.

This is all moot anyway since the Chicago CBD has more employment with a higher percentage of its workforce commuting into the CBD by transit (55.3% vs 38.1%).

Old 11-14-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
The bolded is a great quote and pretty accurate.
Only someone with an inferiority complex would think so. DC holds it's own weight in the grannd scheme of things. We can compare DC and Chicago salaries, housing, employment, education if you like.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I've been to Chicago hundreds of times. Matter of fact, i will be there on the 21st. I agree that Chicago is vibrant but that does not equate to faster pace. Austin, Texas is very vibrant. The trains in Chicago are not as crowded as DC. I've rode almost every line during rush hour and it's not the same activity. Chicago does have some packed streets but so does DC.
Come on, son. You guys have completely lost touch with reality.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It does make sense. A lot of the commuters to Chicago's Loop come from within the city of Chicago. That's 2.7 million people. DC, being a ridiculously small city, has a lot of people commuting in from Virginia and Maryland. Someone commuting in from Silver Spring, which is right across the border, is technically commuting in from a different jurisdiction whereas someone on the far South Side of Chicago (who might be commuting a longer distance) is not.

This is all moot anyway since the Chicago CBD has more employment with a higher percentage of its workforce commuting into the CBD by transit (55.3% vs 38.1%).

If DC was the size of Chicago, Arlington, VA would be within the city limits. And it still beats Chicago for transportation usage. SMH You have to do better B. You are real sloppy.

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-14-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Come on, son. You guys have completely lost touch with reality.
You have never been to Austin!

Old 11-14-2014, 08:57 AM

260 posts, read 299,615 times
Quote:
I think we need to make a distinction between "fast paced" and uptight.

Manhattan is "fast paced." Canal Street is a zoo at all times of day. At the same time, it's loose and "laid back" with tons of hipsters and fauxhemians and a general "do whatever" type of attitude. People love to party.

DC is uptight. This is a city where you can expect to see a 20-year old intern wearing a Hillary Clinton-style pants suit and a string of pearls around her. Having too much of a social life (unless it's "networking") is frowned upon.

NYC is a lot more laid back now i agree. When i was a kid "grown-ups" weren't as laid back as they are now in NYC. "Arrested Development" is what some people would call it. I would go to 42nd street to watch kung fu movies when i was around like 12-13. Back in those days the "hipsters" were generally tenured professors at NYU or Columbia. Now the hipsters are trust fund kids with literally nothing to do but hang out. I cant say i don't envy that.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Some very interesting data in the Chicago downtown report. Not to go off-topic but do you have similar data for Manhattan?
According to this report...

Oxford Street (London) - 129,840
Times Square - 118,000
Main Street (Flushing) - 97,290
34th and 6th Ave - 94,730
Fordham Road - 80,570

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/download...ts_Gehl_08.pdf

I would be interested in seeing the pedestrian counts on Bedford Avenue in Williamsburg as well as Fulton Street in Bed-Stuy. Those would be pretty high albeit much lower than the aforementioned. I think 125th Street in Harlem would be pretty high, though.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
If DC was the size of Chicago, Arlington, VA would be within the city limits. And it still beats Chicago for transportation usage. SMH You have to do better B. You are real sloppy.

List of U.S. cities with high transit ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Keep expanding out from DC until you get 223 square miles. Then tell us what the transit share looks like.

DC can't even reach Chicago's population if the whole entire area inside of the Beltway were a city. There are 1,725,866 people inside of the Beltway, which is a density of 4,080 ppsm. Chicago has 2.7 million people with a density just under 12,000 ppsm.

What if "inside the Beltway" were a city? - Greater Greater Washington

So yeah, keep expanding those borders, and then let us know what the transit share is.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Keep expanding out from DC until you get 223 square miles. Then tell us what the transit share looks like.

DC can't even reach Chicago's population if the whole entire area inside of the Beltway were a city. There are 1,725,866 people inside of the Beltway, which is a density of 4,080 ppsm. Chicago has 2.7 million people with a density just under 12,000 ppsm.

What if "inside the Beltway" were a city? - Greater Greater Washington

So yeah, keep expanding those borders, and then let us know what the transit share is.

You are cherry picking again! I have more facts on transportation usage, traffic studies, etc....

The link says DC's population grows by almost 80% during the day. Boston grows at 40%. You can't hide 500,000 people B. They are on the streets, riding trains and eating at restaurants. This turned this into a ROUT. LOL

D.C.'s Population Grows 79 Percent Every Workday, Outpacing Other Cities | WAMU 88.5 - American University Radio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City