Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a good place for people from a small town.
Washington DC 22 33.85%
Chicago 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 07:35 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I'll get the right angle. Videos are all about perspective. Notice the angle of all the shots he keeps posting. The DC videos are amateur, that's the problem. The camera needs to be high enough that you can see at least 400 meters down the street. It also needs to be tilted the right way so you can see the size of the crowd.
Or you could just roll with hard data.

Highest pedestrian counts in DC occur at 7th and H Streets NW. During a 10 hour study, there were a total of 19,700 pedestrians. The highest count on any one side of the street was the east side of 7th Street where 6,140 pedestrians were counted during a work day. This is 2009, btw. Sounds pretty good, right?

Keep in mind that this traffic study is counting pedestrians along 7th and H Street. The count for 7th Street alone is 11,292.

http://www.hutrc.howard.edu/Data/TMC...20ST,%20NW.pdf

During a 10 hour traffic study of Downtown Chicago, 43,987 people crossed the Madison Street bridge at the Chicago River. There were 26,950 pedestrians heading north alone, which is more than 4 times the pedestrian volume along the busiest side of 7th Street on a weekday. There are many intersections along Michigan Avenue that exceed 7th and H Streets in pedestrian volume: Erie (38,720), Huron (40,021), Ohio (43,450), Superior (48,621), Illinois (54,104), Chestnut (51,430). 32,287 pedestrians were counted on the east side of Michigan Avenue at Chestnut, which is more than five times higher than the highest count along 7th Street. These are weekday counts by the way (and it's based on 2007 data).

http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/cit...eportDec08.pdf

So yeah, Downtown Chicago has a lot more pedestrian volume than Downtown DC on both sides of the River. I think it's safe to say Chicago wins pretty easily in the "fast pace" department.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-13-2014 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:41 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,041,869 times
Neither. These are both huge alpha-world cities, you're simply not going to find small town life here.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:33 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Fast paced is subjective. I dont think anyone can definitely say one is faster than the other with the naked eye. Some idiot posted that Philly is more fast paced because of an express rail line. Come on really. And a few lame YouTube Videos are supposed to shape people's opinions.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, saw it. It was reasonable. Also, you're on a forum. Not private messages.

DC is distinctively slower paced. Why not just turn that into a compliment? What's the innate advantage of having to live in a rush or having to bump through crowds? Why is that a better thing? Why wouldn't you just figure that a slower pace of life might be better for someone from a small town?

Of course, blowing your top is somehow the better way to do things.
Hmmmmm. Let me poke some holes into your statement. DC's daytime population swells by 75 percent. More than 1 million people are in DC during the day. DC has a higher percentage of people riding public transportation than Chicago. DC's traffic is significantly worse than Chicago's traffic. Union Station in DC is the second busiest Amtrak station in the US behind Penn Station in NYC. DC will surpass Chicago in office space in the next ten years. DC's metro already has more office space than the entire Chicagoland area.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 11-13-2014 at 10:07 PM..

Old 11-13-2014, 11:01 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,857,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
This is a stupid comment.

NYC, Chicago, and Philly having express tracks have nothing to do with pace, but the era they were built and how they were built. Most subway lines in those cities are either cut and cover or elevated over the streets. DC's subway system is much newer and almost all of it is bore tunnel deep under the street or right a way at ground level. Trains in D.C. operate at faster speeds than NYC, Chi, or Philly so I guesd we are faster paced huh? Lol.

This is a dumb***** childish argument with a lot of bias coming from everywhere. But real is real Chicago, Philly, Boston, and San Fran ARE NOT faster paced than D.C. they are either the same paced or slower. I think people like to bash D.C. because it's different. I've been to the Chi and half the city is slowwwwwwww like Mississippi (southside Chiraq).
We might be more apt to believe you if were able to spell nonsense correctly. It would also help if you didn't post nonsense.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:52 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
We might be more apt to believe you if were able to spell nonsense correctly. It would also help if you didn't post nonsense.
I spelled my username wrong on purpose. You are just bitter but that's none of my business. Now take this L.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Fast paced is subjective. I dont think anyone can definitely say one is faster than the other with the naked eye. Some idiot posted that Philly is more fast paced because of an express rail line. Come on really. And a few lame YouTube Videos are supposed to shape people's opinions.
And data, of course. The pedestrian count on 7th Street--heading both north and south--was only 11,292. The Foot Locker on 125th Street probably has more people coming through it every day than that.

When people talk about the "fast pace" of NYC, they are usually referring to the hustle, bustle and crowds. Given that the highest pedestrian counts in Chicago are MUCH higher than the highest ones in DC, I think it's safe to say that Chicago is the faster-paced city. And it's not just along Michigan Avenue. The Loop has a lot of intersections that register much higher pedestrian counts than 7th and H Street combined. Read the Downtown Report.

1980s Chicago was far busier than November 2014 Downtown DC.

Quote:
The 43,000 pedestrians counted on Saturday north of the Water Tower is comparable to the highest volumes on Fifth Avenue in New York and far exceeds the 36,000 pedestrians recorded weekdays on State Street in 1981, the highest count in the 1981 study.
Where in DC is comparable to Fifth Avenue in terms of pedestrian volume?

Last edited by BajanYankee; 11-14-2014 at 07:35 AM..

Old 11-14-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And data, of course. The pedestrian count on 7th Street--heading both north and south--was only 11,292. The Foot Locker on 125th Street probably has more people coming through it every day than that.

When people talk about the "fast pace" of NYC, they are usually referring to the hustle, bustle and crowds. Given that the highest pedestrian counts in Chicago are MUCH higher than the highest ones in DC, I think it's safe to say that Chicago is the faster-paced city. And it's not just along Michigan Avenue. The Loop has a lot of intersections that register much higher pedestrian counts than 7th and H Street combined. Read the Downtown Report.

1980s Chicago was far busier than November 2014 Downtown DC.

Where in DC is comparable to Fifth Avenue in terms of pedestrian volume?

Hey Cutty Ranks,

I just gave you some real life facts: DC's population swells by 75% during the day. DC has a higher percentage of people using PT. DC's traffic is much worse. Union Station is #2 in the country behind Penn Station. Is that hustle and bustle? DT DC is on par with Chicago in terms of office space. DC metro has more office space than Chicagoland. You are cherry picking two streets in Chicago as your determination of what city is faster. I can pull hundreds of YouTube videos showing packed metro stations in DC to refute anthing you say. What does NYC have to do with this conversation. I've spent a considerable amount of time in Chicago so I can't say if it's faster or not but know that the DC is more of a workaholic, you need to prove yourself kind of place than Chicago is.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 11-14-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 11-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
True. Boston is another city that feels fast paced.
Downtown Boston also registers some high pedestrian counts.

Sumner/Hawley - 51,101
Washington/Franklin - 36,452
Sumner/Otis - 24,792

http://origin.library.constantcontac...fic+Survey.pdf

The busiest areas of Boston are around Downtown Crossing. Tremont Street is also very busy, registering 27,573 pedestrians at the intersection of Tremont and Winter.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Downtown Boston also registers some high pedestrian counts.

Sumner/Hawley - 51,101
Washington/Franklin - 36,452
Sumner/Otis - 24,792

http://origin.library.constantcontac...fic+Survey.pdf

The busiest areas of Boston are around Downtown Crossing. Tremont Street is also very busy, registering 27,573 pedestrians at the intersection of Tremont and Winter.
So Boston is faster paced than DC? BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Pull some overall T numbers, daytime population increases, office space numbers and get back to me. They represent a wider picture of our argument instead of you cherry picking one or two streets because it's a pathetic reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City