Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a good place for people from a small town.
Washington DC 22 33.85%
Chicago 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:48 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's better than no service. I'm not even sure if DC has 24 hour bus service.

23 1/2 hours bus service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 11:48 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
That's better than no service. I'm not even sure if DC has 24 hour bus service.
DC does not have 24 hour bus service lol

Old 11-14-2014, 11:54 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Oh my. What do you even do with this?

Here is downtown D.C. at 3.9 miles. How big would you say downtown Chicago is?

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 11-14-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
[/font][/color]

I'm not asking if you've lived in Chicago. I'm asking how many places you've lived in that are not in the DC metro area.

I don't find DC to be intense. I'm not even sure I find NYC to be intense (in pedestrian traffic, yes, but not in personality). New York is a more of a medley of personalities from Type A banker to the Dreamer who works at a guitar shop. Philly is a tougher city than NYC, imo, and has more of a reputation for grit, corruption and toughness (they don't call it Fightin' Philly for nothing). I don't think it's particularly fast-paced...at least outside of Center City.

This is the sole driver of pace of life period!

"We live to work here. Most cities work to live."

Old 11-14-2014, 11:57 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
When I say D.C. is fast paced, I'm talking about the work atmosphere. We live to work here. Most cities work to live.
I don't think people live to work in DC. I just think it's a more conservative work environment. It's stuffy. And you're more likely to encounter people who discuss work at social functions because that's the nature of the city. Part of the appeal of DC--at least when I moved there--was going to happy hours and handing out business cards. But that got old really quickly.

Nearly every large law firm downtown is completely cleared out by 7:30. Most happy hours wrap up by 8 and then the vast majority of those people will head back to Maryland and Virginia. During the week, it can be really difficult to find a packed bar whereas Manhattan will have packed bars every night of the week that stay open later.

Outside of the downtown core, there aren't a lot of things to walk to. If you live around U Street, Adams-Morgan, Logan or Dupont, then you're good, but those neighborhoods together probably add up to a half square mile. And they're expensive. If you live in one of the more affordable neighborhoods like Shaw or Bloomingdale ("affordable" still means $700K+ for a house and $2,000 rent), then there's not much to walk to at all.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:59 AM

Look the midwest does not have an intense vibe. It's not a slight against Chicago but most of the people that migrate there are from Iowa, Indiana and Wisconsin. Where as most of the people that come to DC are from all over the US. The mentality is different. People from Chicago have a severe inferiority complex because they want Chicago to be seen as a major player along the likes of NYC and LA when it's not. So when a DC, SF, Boston or Philly challenges Chicago, they take up arms. I definitely understand it but it's not that serious. Point blank - The east coast is not the midwest. DC is way more liberal than Chicago and it shows on everything from gay marriage to voting to legalize weed. Chicago is very democratic but I don't think it has anything close to an east coast mentality. DC people are very arrogant because the city knows its importance in the grand scheme of things. People in DC make more money, are more educated, have a better employment pool and more exposure to cultural amenities.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:00 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is the sole driver of pace of life period!

"We live to work here. Most cities work to live."
But they don't work that hard down there. Trust me, if you got put on a desk at J.P. Morgan and started working those bonecrushing hours, you would begin to see how slow DC is. There's not even late night car service in DC. If you work late in DC, you take a cab home. If you work late in NYC, the firm has already got a car service lined up for you. And that's because the hours bankers and transactional lawyers (and I bring up lawyers because those are the "hard workers" in DC) put in are so much longer than the hours regulatory people put in.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I don't think people live to work in DC. I just think it's a more conservative work environment. It's stuffy. And you're more likely to encounter people who discuss work at social functions because that's the nature of the city. Part of the appeal of DC--at least when I moved there--was going to happy hours and handing out business cards. But that got old really quickly.

Nearly every large law firm downtown is completely cleared out by 7:30. Most happy hours wrap up by 8 and then the vast majority of those people will head back to Maryland and Virginia. During the week, it can be really difficult to find a packed bar whereas Manhattan will have packed bars every night of the week that stay open later.

Outside of the downtown core, there aren't a lot of things to walk to. If you live around U Street, Adams-Morgan, Logan or Dupont, then you're good, but those neighborhoods together probably add up to a half square mile. And they're expensive. If you live in one of the more affordable neighborhoods like Shaw or Bloomingdale ("affordable" still means $700K+ for a house and $2,000 rent), then there's not much to walk to at all.

Have you been to Shaw or Bloomingdale lately? Seems like a new restaurant opens every week. North Capitol of all streets has places opening now. The McMillian plan also is about to be approved so that area is changing at lighting pace right now. NOMA is coming up from the south too and Brookland is closing in from the east.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:

So why is real esate in DC so much more expensive than Chicago? Riddle me that. You are not looking at the big picture. DC is destination. People aspire to come to DC to work. They think they are making a difference. No one is breaking their neck to go to Chicago. DC has world influence.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
But they don't work that hard down there. Trust me, if you got put on a desk at J.P. Morgan and started working those bonecrushing hours, you would begin to see how slow DC is. There's not even late night car service in DC. If you work late in DC, you take a cab home. If you work late in NYC, the firm has already got a car service lined up for you. And that's because the hours bankers and transactional lawyers (and I bring up lawyers because those are the "hard workers" in DC) put in are so much longer than the hours regulatory people put in.
Ummmmm. Your wrong. DC is a city full of big wig lawyers and professional people and you don't think they have late night car service. GTFOOH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City