Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a good place for people from a small town.
Washington DC 22 33.85%
Chicago 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 01:09 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
DC does not have 24 hour bus service lol
Only a few lines run 24/7..... a damn shame too there used to be more back in the 70's and 80's, I have a lot of old DC bus schedules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 01:09 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I'm glad you think you've figured out an ever so complex issue such as local and regional transit in large urban areas. Enjoy your non-24 hr transit service, and your (or was it the other homer?) "downtown core" that is considered "downtown" by you because it "feels like it". Enjoy your 8 restaurants or whatever, bad taxi service and sky high cost of living. I'll be dining at a Michelin Starred restaurant tonight, probably stay out until 4am, and will take the Blue Line back to my apartment, because it will still be running.
What you should be asking yourself is "Why is Chicago so cheap compared to DC." That's the real story. Uncover that one and get back to me.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:10 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
LLS - You are upset because I cut the lights on and all of the roaches scattered? What I will enjoy is my higher salary, increased property values, world renowned cultural amenities, iconic landmarks, conversations with a highly eductaed populace, think tanks, embassy parties, etc...... I guess the entire city lives on the Red or Blue line. Let's say I wanted to do something really crazy and "TRANSFER" from the Blue or Red line to say the Brown line. Oh that's right. It doesn't run 24 hours.
Lolol I'm sure you attend lots of embassy parties every weekend. Look, you are trying to discredit me because Chicago has 2 24hr train lines and DC has none? Poor form on your part. I'm not even going to get into bus or taxi service, which btw, I can use 24hrs a day to get to areas not served by the red or blue line. Your other "arguments" about cultural amenities, etc., aren't even worth getting into in this ridiculous thread.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:10 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Yeah but Chicago has almost 3 million people and for their transit numbers to be comparable to DC is pathetic. They should be blowing DC away. 6 million people ride the NYC SUBWAY each day. There are only 8 million people in the city.
Chicago is 3 times the physical size of DC, but yet has a higher population density. Is that also pathetic?

Old 11-14-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Only a few lines run 24/7..... a damn shame too there used to be more back in the 70's and 80's, I have a lot of old DC bus schedules.
Yeah they aren't really 24 hours. Its more like 23 hours. The last bus for the night may leave Archives at 3:15 am for Silver Spring and the first bus of the morning leaving SS back to Archives will leave at 4:00 am. So there is like a 45 minute gap sometimes.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
What you should be asking yourself is "Why is Chicago so cheap compared to DC." That's the real story. Uncover that one and get back to me.
well DC has benefitted from the government growth and lots of new high paying jobs

SF and NYC did more organically on demand - DC was more supply side

or what do they say - voodoo, voodoo economics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhiCFdWeQfA

Old 11-14-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Chicago is 3 times the physical size of DC, but yet has a higher population density. Is that also pathetic?

I'm still confused why their numbers are so low. You are not helping to explain by getting off track. 2.7 million in the city and 6 million in the suburbs their numbers are quite comparable to a city of 650,000 and a metro of 5 million. Hmmmmm.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:16 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
I'm still confused why their numbers are so low. You are not helping to explain by getting off track. 2.7 million in the city and 6 million in the suburbs their numbers are quite comparable to a city of 650,000 and a metro of 5 million. Hmmmmm.
I'm still confused by how DC could be less dense than Chicago. Usually a city with tiny city limits is denser than a big city because the big city has so many different types of areas in it. But Chicago keeps going and going whereas DC transforms into woods and houses.

I'm also confused by how one side of the street along Michigan Avenue can have six times as many pedestrians as the busiest street in all of DC. You've never explained that. 7th Street seems like a good place to roll out an air mattress and take a nap. The homeless down there certainly do.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Lolol I'm sure you attend lots of embassy parties every weekend. Look, you are trying to discredit me because Chicago has 2 24hr train lines and DC has none? Poor form on your part. I'm not even going to get into bus or taxi service, which btw, I can use 24hrs a day to get to areas not served by the red or blue line. Your other "arguments" about cultural amenities, etc., aren't even worth getting into in this ridiculous thread.
No, I think you got off topic with your drivel about taxi service and Michelin rated restaurants. Taxis are ok but we Uber a lot on the east coast. I think Chicago just got it. In fact, I do attend embassy parties. I have been to quite a lot. Plus, I attend all types of caucus parties, convention parties, non profit parties, think tank parties, association parties, etc.. DC is a happy hour, lounge type of place. It's all about connections.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:21 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
In fact, I do attend embassy parties. I have been to quite a lot. Plus, I attend all types of caucus parties, convention parties, non profit parties, think tank parties, association parties, etc.. DC is a happy hour, lounge type of place. It's all about connections.
Sounds awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City