Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is a good place for people from a small town.
Washington DC 22 33.85%
Chicago 43 66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:52 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
LOL....

When people talk about women, they are talking about an entire region. Ok, I'm just done with you after this. That response was so out of this world I don't even know why any of the people on this forum waste their time with you.

Atlanta is even worse than D.C. for people living in the city versus the region. Shoot, there are barely any people living in the Atlanta city limits period. You are wayyy too much sometimes.
How was I supposed to know that? DC has more attractive Black women than Philly, but definitely not more than Harlem. If you live in DC proper, it's going to be hard to see any of them because the city is too expensive for them to live there. And there aren't that many gathering spots for Black professionals. There are certainly no gathering spots for Black professionals in neighborhoods where they actually live.

If you live in Harlem, on the other hand, you've got Red Rooster, Corner Social, the Cecil, Harlem Tavern, Lenox Saphire, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 02:58 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How was I supposed to know that? DC has more attractive Black women than Philly, but definitely not more than Harlem. If you live in DC proper, it's going to be hard to see any of them because the city is too expensive for them to live there. And there aren't that many gathering spots for Black professionals. There are certainly no gathering spots for Black professionals in neighborhoods where they actually live.

If you live in Harlem, on the other hand, you've got Red Rooster, Corner Social, the Cecil, Harlem Tavern, Lenox Saphire, etc.

OMG.....ok I'm done! LOL......

People in the DMV hangout in D.C. There is no place to hang in the suburbs. People hang in the city no matter where they live. But, you know this anyway so I didn't need to tell you that. I'm done with you.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:59 PM

260 posts, read 299,688 times
Quote:
It's not a lie. You can't even get your story straight. Are you from Connecticut or New York? Which is it?

The most urban, walkable neighborhoods in DC either (a) have few Black people or (b) have few Black professionals. There are few, if any, nice restaurants where 50%+ of the patronage is African American. DC doesn't have the density to support that.
I'll straighten the story there for ya. I'm from NY, Long Island to be exact. I went to college out of high school at CCNY then went Air National guard in Orange CT about an hour drive from NYC hour and a half from LI. My grandparents immigrated to harlem 135 st and Madison ave Riverton apartments a stones throw from the bronx (literally). I also have a degree from The Citadel Military College in SC.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
OMG.....ok I'm done! LOL......

People in the DMV hangout in D.C. There is no place to hang in the suburbs. People hang in the city no matter where they live. But, you know this anyway so I didn't need to tell you that. I'm done with you.
How was that responsive to anything I said?

In NYC, Black professionals are geographically concentrated. So you can have lots of little businesses in Harlem and Brooklyn with majority Black patronage. In DC, Black professionals are not concentrated, so you don't see that at all. All of the new restaurants along the U Street-14th Street axis have few Black faces inside of them. And that's not surprising because few Black people live around there.

In DC, most of the Black people you see out are coming in from the suburbs, and most are unwilling to commit to 3 or 4 weeknights in the city. In NYC, a lot of the people you see at Harlem Tavern actually live in Harlem. It's a lot easier to walk 4 or 5 blocks, or take a short cab ride, then it is to travel from Largo to U Street.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
How was that responsive to anything I said?

In NYC, Black professionals are geographically concentrated. So you can have lots of little businesses in Harlem and Brooklyn with majority Black patronage. In DC, Black professionals are not concentrated, so you don't see that at all. All of the new restaurants along the U Street-14th Street axis have few Black faces inside of them. And that's not surprising because few Black people live around there.

In DC, most of the Black people you see out are coming in from the suburbs, and most are unwilling to commit to 3 or 4 weeknights in the city. In NYC, a lot of the people you see at Harlem Tavern actually live in Harlem. It's a lot easier to walk 4 or 5 blocks, or take a short cab ride, then it is to travel from Largo to U Street.

You are showing your age!!! There are a TON of places with all black crowds all over the city. Have a good weekend man. Get a drink, you need one. As for me, I'm out of here. SMH.....

Old 11-14-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
You are showing your age!!! There are a TON of places with all black crowds all over the city. Have a good weekend man. Get a drink, you need one. As for me, I'm out of here. SMH.....
Really? Where are they? Name one nice restaurant in a majority Black neighborhood where the majority of the patronage is Black.

Bus Boys and Poets clearly doesn't count because that neighborhood is 61% White (that was in 2010; it's probably 91% White today). And there are fewer Black faces each time I go there.

14th Street might as well be Boston.

Bloomingdale is probably still majority Black, but the neighborhood fixtures like Big Bear, Showtime, Boundary Stone, etc. are overwhelmingly White.

So where? What is DC's equivalent of Red Rooster?

Old 11-14-2014, 03:26 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Sounds awful.
LOL. Shhhh. Embassy parties are one of the few things they can do for fun in DC. Washington --middle-sized city with little to do -- DC.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
LOL. Shhhh. Embassy parties are one of the few things they can do for fun in DC. Washington --middle-sized city with little to do -- DC.

Well, a friend of mine got a table for his bday tonight here: Josephine Nightclub and Lounge | 1008 Vermont Ave NW so I am going to be out having a good time.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:20 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,366,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydavis View Post
Hi instead of posting a question in a thread I decided to make a poll. Ive never lived in a big city before and just would like to know which of these two cities would be a nice place to live based on these qualities,
1. Cultural amenities
2. Lifestyle
3. Mass transportation
4. Cost of living

Chicago overall. Cultural amenities are close, but Chicago is has a better restaurant and nightlife scene. Mass Transit is a tie. Cost of living definitely Chicago, unless you like bragging about how expensive your apartment/condo/townhome is. I find Chicago people more friendly, whereas DC more rude.

At the end of the day, moving to a big city (any city) is a good move. Even if you dont like it, its worth the experience.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:09 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
There is a reason why a Benz cost more than a Dodge. Think about it.
If we do car analogies I'd say that DC is like a new VW Beetle -- new and shiny, but small, overpriced and a bit pretentious. Chicago is like a Mustang -- rough around the edges and very American, but also muscular and fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City