Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city should host the 2024 Olympics
Boston 49 24.87%
Los Angeles 42 21.32%
San Francisco 62 31.47%
Washington DC 44 22.34%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:52 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I have to say that the all the LA hate this Olympic bid is dredging up is highly entertaining.
Right? This place is dull without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 11:55 PM

317 posts, read 377,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
haha no need to be sore just because delegates from Kenya and Vietnam werent swayed by corageous images of Rudy Guiliani . The world is much bigger than Mike Bloomberg's ego-believe it or not.

And yeah, Rio had a much more solid bid than Chicago

Here's the latest Rio scandal...
2016 Olympic Waters Feature 'Super Bacteria' Researchers Say - Newsy Story

@lol at the lame attempts at personal insults. Catty much?

lol
So the typical conspiracy theory and political jabs at the corrupt east coast response I see. What am I suppose jump out of defense of politicians now? Don't worry I am not thick enough for that. I am also not thick enough to believe corruption at a political level exist only on the east side of the coast either unlike some people.

And you might as well post crime rates of Chicago if you want post about random things that won't affect anybody. When newsy story actually determines athletes at a professional event were actually allowed to be infected with "super bacteria" you get back to me.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
For 2012,
Moscow was cut in round 1 voting.
New York was cut in round 2 voting.
Madrid was cut in round 3 voting.
Paris was cut in round 4 voting,
London won.
Bids for the 2012 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New York, the only 1 of the 5 cities to NEVER host an Olympic games, only got as high as 4th place out of 5.

For 2016,
Chicago was cut in round 1 voting.
Tokyo was cut in round 2 voting.
Madrid was cut in round 3 voting,
Rio de Janeiro won.
Bids for the 2016 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chicago was the first to be eliminated.

So the USOC needs to look at the plan, sure why not-but if they actually want to WIN( which I am rather suspicious of), then put up a city that will beat what could be first games in Africa. To do that, we need to pick a city that is not only well known amd has a strong image, but a strong image that is favorable.

NY and Chicago were supposed to be shoe-ins and both were humiliated in the voting.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:03 AM

317 posts, read 377,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Thanks, but I don't confuse myself with cities or states. And that global weekly TV audience of one billion says you're wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Stop digging.
Well, when you get done replying to every single post just to have the last word and not add anything, we can use some explanation for the random numbers you are pulling from between you legs.

Which one of LA's beaches are universally known exactly? South Beach? Miami Beach? Daytona Beach?... oh wait....

Old 12-19-2014, 12:05 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Very true, but I think the IOC is starting to put a strong emphasis on cities where tourists can get around by subway rather than by car. Evidence of this is shown in the most recent cities they have chosen: Beijing, London, Rio, & Tokyo. We are living in a world where the international community has really shifted toward urbanism, which is what I think could hurt LA. But no doubt, LA & DC have the strongest bids
Have you ever been to Rio? I was in Rio in the last year and I was struck by how much it reminded me of Los Angeles...similar overall size in metro population, varied topography with beaches/mountains and a city/population spread out with an urban center that was neglected until relatively recently.

In Rio's case, the center took a major hit when the national government relocated to Brasilia around 1960 and it still has a long way to go before it comes back. Downtown LA is much further along in its revitalization than Rio's center. The rail networks serving both cities are roughly the same size in miles. As has been stated, LA's current rail expansion plans will only add to the overall total making it a non-issue.

Having said that, I don't see LA getting the bid simply because the IOC won't want to award it a third time to LA. My guess is DC will get it assuming a US city wins the bid. Of course, LA's summer weather trumps DC's all day long but I don't think that will matter.

I will say this for Rio de Janeiro, the topography is gorgeous and the Brazilians (Cariocas) will make wonderful hosts...very warm and hospitable vibe in that city.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:09 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
So the typical conspiracy theory and political jabs at the corrupt east coast response I see. What am I suppose jump out of defense of politicians now? Don't worry I am not thick enough for that. I am also not thick enough to believe corruption at a political level exist only on the east side of the coast either unlike some people.

And you might as well post crime rates of Chicago if you want post about random things that won't affect anybody. When newsy story actually determines athletes at a professional event were actually allowed to be infected with "super bacteria" you get back to me.
hahaha Are u serious??? Chicago's crime rate is nonexistent compared to Rio de Janeiro-fyi

Rio had 4,700 murders in 2013. 600 MORE THAN 2012
http://m.estadao.com.br/noticias/ger...,1135485,0.htm

Earlier this year:
Wave of Street Crime Hits Rio de Janeiro - WSJ

Another FAIL.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:18 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Well, when you get done replying to every single post just to have the last word and not add anything, we can use some explanation for the random numbers you are pulling from between you legs.
You are getting the responses your posts deserve. What exactly was going through your mind when you interpreted a column clearly marked "percent of metro population" as "percent of total US population"? I'm genuinely fascinated how that happens.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:

Which one of LA's beaches are universally known exactly? South Beach? Miami Beach? Daytona Beach?... oh wait....
Venice Beach and Malibu...

Daytona Beach? You are kidding right...?

Old 12-19-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:

I am quite fond of SF by the way. It's a quite the exception to your typical west coast city and hence quite interesting. I have also never even resided in NYC long term. But your obvious bitterness about it is intriguing me somewhat.
You don't get out much because Seattle and Portland are essentially carbon copies of Phoenix.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:05 AM

65 posts, read 90,125 times
I love how people are really trying to compare DC....... Yea I said it........ DC to LA and people bashing on LA because they either jealous or just flat out stu.pid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City