Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Cultural and Iconic?
Washington, DC 25 49.02%
San Francisco 26 50.98%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 03:29 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

This is essentially the same as the thread below only different cities.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-one-more.html

I'd like to see a similar type of discussion using this matchup. Not to be discussed are density, transit, GDP, GDP per capita, wealth, wealth, wealth, mean, median or aggregate HHI, Fortune 500s, quarterly earnings, density, thousandaires, millionaires, billionaires, HNWIs, new condo developments/TOD, and wealth.

One last thing...I forgot to mention that wealth or anything pertaining to wealth should not be discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 03:41 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times
I guess politics is a cultural/iconic thing on its own, but in terms of local culture being an influence, San Francisco slightly beats out DC in my mind because of the hippie movement and the 1960s. Speaking here of very general stereotypes here, but I'll be honest: I'm the last person you want to ask about popular culture.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:46 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is essentially the same as the thread below only different cities.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-one-more.html

I'd like to see a similar type of discussion using this matchup. Not to be discussed are density, transit, GDP, GDP per capita, wealth, wealth, wealth, mean, median or aggregate HHI, Fortune 500s, quarterly earnings, density, thousandaires, millionaires, billionaires, HNWIs, new condo developments/TOD, and wealth.

One last thing...I forgot to mention that wealth or anything pertaining to wealth should not be discussed.
More DC love from you? You shouldn't have...

Old 02-03-2015, 03:49 PM

Sort of an interesting matchup, imo. DC has more iconic structures by far. The GG Bridge is world famous, for sure, but I don't think it single-handedly beats out all of DC's famous structures collectively.

America's Favorite Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The thing is, however, that a lot of people don't really know much about DC as a city. In SF, the city and its neighborhoods are as much of a draw as the GG Bridge or Alcatraz.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
More DC love from you? You shouldn't have...
Too sensitive...

Old 02-03-2015, 05:46 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,370 times
I'm not sure how to answer it really. DC definitely has more iconic structures than SF. But SF is more known for its culture than DC. So I guess it's a tie? You should have picked either iconic structures or culture to judge it on

Old 02-03-2015, 05:49 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times
The buildings in DC are way more iconic than the Golden Gate Bridge. Although SF has a more popular culture, maybe redo this thread and pick a specific one. Kind of all over the place but I like the idea!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:13 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
Center of Government vs Sodom and Gomorrah

I'm gonna go with Government.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:14 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
San Francisco.

DC is iconic mainly because of status as the capital of the US/"free world" or so they say. However, what would DC be without that status?

SF has plenty of its own iconic structures, a few of which may be more "internationally" iconic (while DC's may be more "domestically" iconic). But where DC falls short is in the culture department.

SF gave the world:

Beatniks/Beat Generation (along with New York)
Hippies
Sexual Revolution
Church of Satan (I almost feel bad putting this here, but where else is something like that going to come out of)
Along with New York really defined modern day homosexuality/Gay Liberty
Asian American culture - LA and NYC may have more Asians now than SF, but SF played host to Asian immigration since its inception and as a result, much of what we attribute to Asian American culture comes from SF (down to "Chinese" food that Americans have come to know and love)
Environmentalism (Sierra, and virtually any similar organizations)

CA Cuisine and otherwise world class food and a culture around that (add in wine, craft beer, and weed)

Musical genres have come out of and been developed in SF, which has gave or played a large role in 60s rock, 80s, electronic, metal, and even west coast rap. I can't think of one genre of music related to DC the city.

Without even being the front lawn of Congress/President/Supreme Court, SF does much in the way of shaping how we as Americans think of ourselves, and how our culture evolves. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is arguably the most influential and active of its peers (and the largest), of course based in SF.

DC may have more overall museums, but SF has a few important ones of its own, and museums that really cater to "SF" and its contributions to the world moreso than simply being generic major museums in a nation's capital. E.g. the Asian Art Museum, the SFMOMA, etc etc

Finally, while SF is increasingly becoming more and more yuppified and is already considerably more expensive than DC, it's still a huge artist base and benefits from world class curated art, some of which is not replicated in DC (for instance, SF has a notable and thriving theater district, which DC doesn't have). Outside of the curated scene, the programs in and around SF (including those at Berkeley and Stanford) are superior to those in DC, in my opinion.

Overall, I just don't think it's event hat close. DC is a great, world class city, but it is more of a one trick pony than SF and has been the same one trick pony for its entire existence. SF has literally gone from a wild west gold rush city to the world's innovation hub, and throughout its entire existence has welcomed immigrants from various continents and interspersed throughout its history has been the epicenter of entire worldwide, or at least important American movements.

I mean into the nitty gritty, Irish Coffee was invented in SF. SF is a long standing melting pot, reflected in its neighborhoods today. DC can't speak to that - DC doesn't have the old Italian neighborhood, the Irish history, the Chinese history, the Mexican neighborhood, or ethnic European neighborhoods in the way SF has or has had.

Ok, I'll stop.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:18 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
San Francisco.

DC is iconic mainly because of status as the capital of the US/"free world" or so they say. However, what would DC be without that status?

SF has plenty of its own iconic structures, a few of which may be more "internationally" iconic (while DC's may be more "domestically" iconic). But where DC falls short is in the culture department.

SF gave the world:

Beatniks/Beat Generation (along with New York)
Hippies
Sexual Revolution
Church of Satan (I almost feel bad putting this here, but where else is something like that going to come out of)
Along with New York really defined modern day homosexuality/Gay Liberty
Asian American culture - LA and NYC may have more Asians now than SF, but SF played host to Asian immigration since its inception and as a result, much of what we attribute to Asian American culture comes from SF (down to "Chinese" food that Americans have come to know and love)
Environmentalism (Sierra, and virtually any similar organizations)

CA Cuisine and otherwise world class food and a culture around that (add in wine, craft beer, and weed)

Musical genres have come out of and been developed in SF, which has gave or played a large role in 60s rock, 80s, electronic, metal, and even west coast rap. I can't think of one genre of music related to DC the city.

Without even being the front lawn of Congress/President/Supreme Court, SF does much in the way of shaping how we as Americans think of ourselves, and how our culture evolves. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is arguably the most influential and active of its peers (and the largest), of course based in SF.

DC may have more overall museums, but SF has a few important ones of its own, and museums that really cater to "SF" and its contributions to the world moreso than simply being generic major museums in a nation's capital. E.g. the Asian Art Museum, the SFMOMA, etc etc

Finally, while SF is increasingly becoming more and more yuppified and is already considerably more expensive than DC, it's still a huge artist base and benefits from world class curated art, some of which is not replicated in DC (for instance, SF has a notable and thriving theater district, which DC doesn't have). Outside of the curated scene, the programs in and around SF (including those at Berkeley and Stanford) are superior to those in DC, in my opinion.

Overall, I just don't think it's event hat close. DC is a great, world class city, but it is more of a one trick pony than SF and has been the same one trick pony for its entire existence. SF has literally gone from a wild west gold rush city to the world's innovation hub, and throughout its entire existence has welcomed immigrants from various continents and interspersed throughout its history has been the epicenter of entire worldwide, or at least important American movements.

I mean into the nitty gritty, Irish Coffee was invented in SF. SF is a long standing melting pot, reflected in its neighborhoods today. DC can't speak to that - DC doesn't have the old Italian neighborhood, the Irish history, the Chinese history, the Mexican neighborhood, or ethnic European neighborhoods in the way SF has or has had.

Ok, I'll stop.
You can't honestly think that SF has better museums than DC.... Also, the only internationally recognized landmark SF has is Golden Gate Bridge. Show anyone a picture of the washington monument, white house, capitol building, lincoln memorial, vietnam memorial, or jefferson memorial, & they would be able to identify it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City