Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Cultural and Iconic?
Washington, DC 25 49.02%
San Francisco 26 50.98%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 04:40 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
How does O'Neill reflect the culture/style of SF?

Not sure why you associate Sf with Mimosa's, they weren't invented there.
Bwhahahaha! Your colleague is really stretching it ain't he? Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 05:01 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lmao! You've got to be kidding me right. My last post used nothing from Philadelphia and Richmond areas and your post before that did include contributions from beyond the 46 miles of SF into this argument. I could add all kinds culturally impactful things that have originated from the MD/DC/VA area I only chose a few to mention. DC's black cultural influence are LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything SF has done for the African American community what are you talking about??

BET founder Robert Johnson is from Washington DC company is still headquartered there. He went on to become the first black owner of an NBA franchise (Charlotte Bobcats) before he sold to Michael Jordan.

U street was nicknamed "black broadway" in the 60's before the riots and before 125th st In Harlem surpassed it.

DC has its own GENRE of music that was created here within the cities boundaries not a variation of hip-hop like down south music or chopped and screwed hip hop songs. Go-Go music is an entire separate genre of music unique to DC. Where in the black community in SF will you find an entire new genre of music?

If you want me to just run off a long list of names of Black entertainers/athletes hailing from DC feel free but SF will obviously not compare: Dave Chappelle, Martin Lawrence, Taraji P. Henson, Tommy Davidson, Wanda Sykes, Kevin Durant, Johnny Gill, Dominique Dawes, Regina Hall etc etc etc I could go on and on. But to me this gets off topic and I thought we were getting into what city is more "iconic." Just because your city has a factory for GAP jeans doesn't make it iconic.

DC is a cultural capitol in its own right as it merges in the two major regions of the Eastern US, the North and the South. No other major city in the US really sits on the direct cusp of two major regions like that to be that distinct. The major difference in terms of "cultural influence" not even being iconic here is that SF's cultural impact historically has been more internationally based. DC's "cultural" American impact has been primarily based around the AA community. I don't get why your trying to step around this with your posts.
Five guys originated from NoVa. Also, Sweet Green originated from DC. Just to add some more to your list

Old 02-06-2015, 05:18 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Five guys originated from NoVa. Also, Sweet Green originated from DC. Just to add some more to your list
It makes sense--as DC becomes larger, more populous, and has more clout, there will be more things originating from DC. It's pretty exciting times for the area.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It makes sense--as DC becomes larger, more populous, and has more clout, there will be more things originating from DC. It's pretty exciting times for the area.
Five Guys was a very long time ago but yes Sweet Green was somewhat recent. Started out in the early 2000s, and yes it's a very exciting time

Old 02-06-2015, 05:29 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, my best wishes on that but everything I've read in this thread confirms that SF is clearly more associated with social and cultural movements AND economic and technological breakthroughs than Washington DC is.

Even to a point where they become iconic of SF.

DC just doesnt do that.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:02 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, my best wishes on that but everything I've read in this thread confirms that SF is clearly more associated with social and cultural movements AND economic and technological breakthroughs than Washington DC is.

Even to a point where they become iconic of SF.

DC just doesnt do that.
Agreed to disagree then no problem with that. As iconic to me means which city would be automatically recognizeable by outsiders due to its structures, architecture, monuments etc, not which city came up with the most musical hits, video game software or entertainers. It may be iconic to you but take away the Golden Gate Bridge (which is only a bridge by the way) and San Francisco is just another major city on a bunch of hills. There is nothing "iconic" about it even if its one of the more beautiful cities in North America.

In fact minus the Golden Gate bridge I bet more people (especially internationally) could make out Seattle's skyline over SF.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:09 PM

Like I said the only real "iconic" structure SF has is the golden gate bridge. Which is not more iconic than the White House, the capital and the Lincoln memorial.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Agreed to disagree then no problem with that. As iconic to me means which city would be automatically recognizeable by outsiders due to its structures, architecture, monuments etc, not which city came up with the most musical hits, video game software or entertainers. It may be iconic to you but take away the Golden Gate Bridge (which is only a bridge by the way) and San Francisco is just another major city on a bunch of hills. There is nothing "iconic" about it even if its one of the more beautiful cities in North America.

In fact minus the Golden Gate bridge I bet more people (especially internationally) could make out Seattle's skyline over SF.

Haha DC is far worse because it has no real skyline to speak of so if we remove it's 2 tallest structures, DC from a distance might as well be Sandy Springs, except Sandy Springs has iconic highrises whereas DC does not.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Like I said the only real "iconic" structure SF has is the golden gate bridge. Which is not more iconic than the White House, the capital and the Lincoln memorial.
Yes but the people, neighborhoods, setting and actual contribution to the social and cultural fabric of Ameeica are so unremarkable and undistinctive that your essentially relying on 1800s buildings to beat SF, and that is not enough.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:26 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Haha DC is far worse because it has no real skyline to speak of so if we remove it's 2 tallest structures, DC from a distance might as well be Sandy Springs, except Sandy Springs has iconic highrises whereas DC does not.
as someone who claims to be from Paris, I would think you would understand that skyscrapers & skylines do not make the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City