Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Cultural and Iconic?
Washington, DC 25 49.02%
San Francisco 26 50.98%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes but the people, neighborhoods, setting and actual contribution to the social and cultural fabric of Ameeica are so unremarkable and undistinctive that your essentially relying on 1800s buildings to beat SF, and that is not enough.
We are talking about which is more iconic to the world. The world does not know about SF's neighborhoods or its contributions to America. It is an important city, & a very cultural city, but that does not necessarily equate to iconic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 08:27 PM

489 posts, read 911,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^I can see (Domestically and Internationally):

The White House
The Capitol
The Washington Monument

maybe (domestically): The Lincoln Memorial
maybe (domestically): the Smithsonian's original building (too bad nobody reads paper print anymore because the Smithsonian magazine had its original museum plastered all over it)

I absolutely cannot see:

The Vietnam Memorial (it's a friggin wall with names on it...it's symbolic and important, but ask most people in America to recognize it, let alone international people??)

or anything else...the average American barely knows his or her left hand from the right; let alone some random memorial or structure in DC.

For San Francisco:

Domestically and Internationally:

Golden Gate Bridge
Alcatraz
Cable Cars
Cityscape in general

Domestically, maybe:

Ghirardelli Square
Fisherman's Wharf
Painted Ladies
Haight/Ashbury sign
Transamerica Pyramid

For being the US Capital, DC is not as recognizable as say Paris or London. And DC doesn't have a real vernacular like Paris (or San Francisco) does.

San Francisco's stuff appeals from a more traditional people perspective - human might, cultural movements, gem of American city, etc. DC is monumental and a capital. It's impressive and as is obvious, the capital, however, it doesn't have anything else to give it umph. As everyone seems to agree, it certainly doesn't have the culture/cultural history that SF does.
This post is kind of ridiculous. No bias there, at all.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:04 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Haha DC is far worse because it has no real skyline to speak of so if we remove it's 2 tallest structures, DC from a distance might as well be Sandy Springs, except Sandy Springs has iconic highrises whereas DC does not.
The buildings in Washington DC are more iconic and well known around the world than buildings in SF, you can homer and hate all you want but this is not up for debate, sorry.

DC from above you only need to see a street grid and it can be recognized easily due to the traffic circles, diagonal streets, National Mall, the Ellipse, White House lawn all can be determined.

Last edited by the resident09; 02-06-2015 at 11:25 PM..

Old 02-06-2015, 11:56 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
We are talking about which is more iconic to the world.
Yes, that would be SF.

Quote:
The world does not know about SF's neighborhoods or its contributions to America.
Hahahaha the entire WORLD knows that SF is full of liberal, gay, hippie, techies. The entire WORLD knows about SFs iconic cityscape, natural setting, climate and oh, the bridge.

Meanwhile DC isnt really known for anything actually, except for the seat of government.

Apart from that, zzzzzzzz snooze fest.

Quote:
It is an important city, & a very cultural city, but that does not necessarily equate to iconic
It does in this case.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The buildings in Washington DC are more iconic and well known around the world than buildings in SF, you can homer and hate all you want but this is not up for debate, sorry.
Your right. It's not up for debate.

San Francisco is adored and heralded the world over for lots of reasons.

Meanwhile, Washington DC is the seat of the US govt. (Crickets chirping)

Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Yes, that would be SF.

Hahahaha the entire WORLD knows that SF is full of liberal, gay, hippie, techies. The entire WORLD knows about SFs iconic cityscape, natural setting, climate and oh, the bridge.

Meanwhile DC isnt really known for anything actually, except for the seat of government.

Apart from that, zzzzzzzz snooze fest.

It does in this case.
In America yes we know all those things about SF but you're very ignorant to think a person in say Ghana or South Africa or Australia will know all those things. SF is domestically iconic for those attributes. The entire world doesn't know what liberal is because it doesn't exist in certain parts of the world or it isn't a phrased used. Educate yourself.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
In America yes we know all those things about SF but you're very ignorant to think a person in say Ghana or South Africa or Australia will know all those things.
Haha Ive lived in Cape Town(Boom)and just about everyone I met there knew something about San Francisco. In fact, the West Coast in general is wayyy more famous than the East Coast. New York is the exception to that

Quote:
SF is domestically iconic for those attributes. The entire world doesn't know what liberal is because it doesn't exist in certain parts of the world or it isn't a phrased used.
Actually SF is perceived as the non warmongering, unAmerican, American city, the counterweight to socially oppressed groups like GAYS.

SF is most definitely seen that way around the world.

It's actually amazing how well known SF is actually.

Quote:
Educate yourself.
Yes every day is an opportunity to learn indeed, but my 2 post grad degrees, experiences living and working in Europe, South America, Asia and Africa have been quite a good education thus far.

Thanks tho.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Haha Ive lived in Cape Town(Boom)and just about everyone I met there knew something about San Francisco. In fact, the West Coast in general is wayyy more famous than the East Coast. New York is the exception to that

Actually SF is perceived as the non warmongering, unAmerican, American city, the counterweight to socially oppressed groups like GAYS.

SF is most definitely seen that way around the world.

It's actually amazing how well known SF is actually.

Yes every day is an opportunity to learn indeed, but my 2 post grad degrees, experiences living and working in Europe, South America, Asia and Africa have been quite a good education thus far.

Thanks tho.
Oh of course you lived in Cape Town like how you apparently live in Paris right? For a person who lives in Paris I'm surprise you use skyscraoers as an argument? Hmmmmm Cape Town is full of tourist. I'm pretty sure most of the natives don't know about SF's culture and attributes. When I went to Johannesburg the only cities people knew about were LA and NYC. They have heard of SF but didn't know anything. Even DC, they only knew that's where the president lived and they knew the White House and "that building that looks like a pencil." I've traveled myself, I have a masters degree and attended college. Doesn't mean you know everything under the sun. Have you been to Ghana? No. I've been there numerous times, in Ghana the DC area is very popular. They come to DC all the time... Same with Nigeria and Morroco.

All I'm saying is YOU don't know what everyone in this world knows or finds iconic. Not almost about everyone in Cape Town knows of SF. Have you met 80% of Cape Towns residents? Please educate yourself.

Thanks though

Old 02-07-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Oh of course you lived in Cape Town like how you apparently live in Paris right?
lol put your claws away girl, no need to be catty just because someone disagrees with you and won't back down. It seems like you could use a an education as well. lmao.

I usually ignore this sort of personal jab but this seems especially desparate.

Quote:
Hmmmmm Cape Town is full of tourist.
Yes, world travelers know SF.

Quote:
All I'm saying is YOU don't know what everyone in this world knows or finds iconic.
How totally ironic of you.

lol

Old 02-08-2015, 09:12 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
To me, this sounds like a pretty strong overblowing of just how acquainted most people abroad are with the US and its cities. People don't generally know that much, don't need to know that much, and don't really care to know that much about another country even if it is the US of A. It's going to be mostly surface they get to, and on the surface, the White House and the like simply show up a lot more often when it comes to places that a person might be able to identify with a somewhat specific area/city. Throw in some LA beach vistas and the Hollywood sign, the Manhattan skyline, the Statue of Liberty, the gambling in Las Vegas, and you're not going to go very much further than that for the vast majority of people outside of the US. Maybe Hawaii in sort of an abstract when you go to East Asia.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-08-2015 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City