Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More Cultural and Iconic?
Washington, DC 25 49.02%
San Francisco 26 50.98%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:18 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
The buildings in DC are way more iconic than the Golden Gate Bridge. Although SF has a more popular culture, maybe redo this thread and pick a specific one. Kind of all over the place but I like the idea!
Says you.

SF also has Alcatraz, the cable cars, the Painted Ladies, the Transamerica, and the cityscape itself is arguably one of the most iconic and unique in the world.

For instance, when people make a movie about DC, it's politically oriented, always, and so it merely makes sense that it's set in DC. But many producers want to set in San Francisco because it captivates a more international audience and doesn't have to be about politics (it could be about anything). People around the world know "San Francisco" when they see it on the big screen, at least as much as they would know it's "DC", if not moreso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 06:27 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Says you.

SF also has Alcatraz, the cable cars, the Painted Ladies, the Transamerica, and the cityscape itself is arguably one of the most iconic and unique in the world.

For instance, when people make a movie about DC, it's politically oriented, always, and so it merely makes sense that it's set in DC. But many producers want to set in San Francisco because it captivates a more international audience and doesn't have to be about politics (it could be about anything). People around the world know "San Francisco" when they see it on the big screen, at least as much as they would know it's "DC", if not moreso.
most people wouldn't recognize the transamerica building, the painted ladies, or alcatraz. I will give you the cable cars & the landscape, but those arent really structures

Old 02-03-2015, 06:28 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Says you.

D.C.'s monuments are obviously identifiable and iconic, but I think it's safe to say that D.C.'s city streetscape itself isn't, whereas if you think vaguely of "hippie culture", or if you see any screetscape with rolling hills and Victorian rowhouses with Bay Windows, it is impossible not to think about SF.

Just by the strength of how easily identifiable and unique SF is makes this debate really difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
most people wouldn't recognize the transamerica building, the painted ladies, or alcatraz. I will give you the cable cars & the landscape, but those arent really structures
Who in their right mind wouldn't think of SF when they see a photo of Painted Ladies besides a child?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
D.C.'s monuments are obviously identifiable and iconic, but I think it's safe to say that D.C.'s city streetscape itself isn't, whereas if you think vaguely of "hippie culture", or if you see any screetscape with rolling hills and Victorian rowhouses with Bay Windows, it is impossible not to think about SF.

Just by the strength of how easily identifiable and unique SF is makes this debate really difficult.

Who in their right mind wouldn't think of SF when they see a photo of Painted Ladies besides a child?
I agree painted ladies is recognizable when you see the picture from a little farther out when you get the background in the picture, but if you just showed close ups of the houses they would be harder to identify. Since i was judging just based on the structure themselves without any landscape clues, I think it isn't as recognizable as the DC monuments. For instance, this view http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidyuweb/4527587396/ would make it more recognizable than this view http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Painted..._Ashbury11.JPG

Old 02-03-2015, 06:41 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Says you.

......... A lot of people who don't live in America do not know half the buildings you're talking about. Ask someone in Australia if they know the painted ladies in SF vs. The White House in DC.

SF structures are recognizable domestically not as internationally as DC.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:28 PM

^^^SF is a far more international city than DC. It has more international appeal, and more international recognition. It has more international tourism and a larger international population. It's been this way since SF came into existence. The Golden Gate and the Statue of Liberty are arguably the most internationally recognized symbols in the country, and I think foreigners appreciate these icons moreso than Americans themselves.

SF is recognizable internationally because it is an international city, and it is appreciated internationally. DC, while great, is a purely corporate and governmental city that doesn't have the international appeal or history that SF has. There's no way around this.

Domestically, I would argue that SF has done FARRRRRRR more to shape American culture than DC. If you want to say "well laws are passed (or signed) in DC..." that would be taking a cheap, lazy shot.

SF has shaped the way we think about the world today and has birthed entire movements. SF has influenced music and culture. DC really hasn't. Not to say DC isn't great, but historically, DC has been a far more sterile "safe" city than SF, which has historically been a city that just does things completely differently. SF runs the risk of becoming sterile, and I'd argue that it's more sterile than ever.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
^^^SF is a far more international city than DC. It has more international appeal, and more international recognition. It has more international tourism and a larger international population. It's been this way since SF came into existence. The Golden Gate and the Statue of Liberty are arguably the most internationally recognized symbols in the country, and I think foreigners appreciate these icons moreso than Americans themselves.

SF is recognizable internationally because it is an international city, and it is appreciated internationally. DC, while great, is a purely corporate and governmental city that doesn't have the international appeal or history that SF has. There's no way around this.

Domestically, I would argue that SF has done FARRRRRRR more to shape American culture than DC. If you want to say "well laws are passed (or signed) in DC..." that would be taking a cheap, lazy shot.

SF has shaped the way we think about the world today and has birthed entire movements. SF has influenced music and culture. DC really hasn't. Not to say DC isn't great, but historically, DC has been a far more sterile "safe" city than SF, which has historically been a city that just does things completely differently. SF runs the risk of becoming sterile, and I'd argue that it's more sterile than ever.
DC probably has more international residents than SF just based on embassies. DC definitely has more international recognition simply for being the capital of a super power. Every decision made in DC affects the rest of the world.I would say the Capitol building, Statue of Liberty, & Hollywood signs are the most recognizable American landmarks, but obviously that whole argument is opinion. As much as I love SF, it is hard to deny that DC has more history. The only edge i give SF over DC is culture

Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:

America's Favorite Structures

Old 02-03-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
DC probably has more international residents than SF just based on embassies. DC definitely has more international recognition simply for being the capital of a super power. Every decision made in DC affects the rest of the world.I would say the Capitol building, Statue of Liberty, & Hollywood signs are the most recognizable American landmarks, but obviously that whole argument is opinion. As much as I love SF, it is hard to deny that DC has more history. The only edge i give SF over DC is culture
^^^It's pretty easy to deny, actually. DC was a backwoods swamp with some government buildings for much of its history, and for almost the entire time it's been a sizable city, SF has been larger.

SF officially passed DC in population in 1870, but from SF's "existence" as an American city in 1849 onwards through 1870 it was pretty close.

SF has always been the "Manhattan of the West Coast" in many various ways, from industry to immigration. While DC was building up itself as the center of American government, San Francisco was harboring immigrants from multiple continents - people coming for the Gold Rush or other opportunity and establishing communities that stand to this day.

DC is not in the same league of American/colonial history as NYC, Boston, Philly, etc etc. DC, SF, and Chicago have relatively similar American histories, in terms of length. In terms of notoriety, I'd say both Chicago and SF have more notable histories than DC, which was kind of a quiet place for most of its existence.

In terms of foreign population, SF-Oakland MSA and San Jose-Sunnyvale MSA are each 30-40% foreign born. DC metro is 20%. City of SF was 35.6% foreign born as of last Census. DC was 13.8%.

Don't even get me started. DC having embassies has nothing to do with how "international" it is. SF has a bazillion consulates...so?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post

So an AIA poll of 1,800 random people is the ultimate determination. Ok. The Washington Cathedral was #3. I love the Washington Cathedral, but as far as DC goes it's off the beaten path and is not a major "icon" of the city (most in America are probably unfamiliar with it...). Even SF has a similar cathedral on its most prominent hill.

https://www.google.com/search?q=grac...w=1280&bih=927

If I were asked by the AIA to write down my 3 favorite structures in America, the Golden Gate Bridge would not make the list. However, it doesn't take away from the fact that the GGB is still easily one of the most iconic, right up there with the Statue of Liberty, the Hollywood Sign, etc.

Since AIA was brought up, what is DC's vernacular? What has DC contributed to architectural movements or styles? Another thing SF boasts over DC related to this poll. Simply building a few national monuments hardly counts. Put the capital in Topeka KS and you'd see the same string of monuments there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City