Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 10:56 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,069 times

Advertisements

Pretty much any city in Orange County, California. We are not the conservative stronghold we were in the past and some may argue conservative Californians would be considered moderate in most other states. However, it's an area of over 3 million people who have only voted Democrat in two gubernatorial elections and one Presedential election in the past 82 years. Anaheim was just ranked the 5th best city for conservatives earlier this year. Unlike most the other conservative areas, we have some of the best beaches in the country and tons to see and do you cant find in other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 02:09 PM

781 posts, read 736,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Pity.
That I saved my time and sanity? No, yay me!

Old 07-02-2015, 11:59 PM

211 posts, read 370,090 times
I would say they whole state of oklahoma. Oklahoma is the only state where not one county in the state voted for Obama in 08 and 12. I actually think okc and Tulsa could make a turn but is held back by these state laws.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:13 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Ten is a fairly large number, but I would say the top five metros that are most Conservative/Republican could go to:

1. Houston
2. Dallas-Fort Worth/Arlington
3. Phoenix/Mesa
4. Anchorage
5. Oklahoma City
The Phoenix-Mesa metropolitan area leans conservative but Phoenix itself isn't so much, it's mostly the suburban areas that are the most conservative.

Phoenix's mayor is a democrat and many voting districts in the city are solidly blue.

Tempe is one of the more liberal cities in the metropolitan area, even more than Phoenix.

But the suburb of Gilbert is staunchly conservative, in fact it's one of the most conservative places in the nation with a population of over 200,000.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:44 AM

312 posts, read 268,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Has anyone ever noticed most conservative cities tend to be a little on the blan side? And usually the landscape is borderline ugly. For example Oklahoma City, Dallas, Wichita, Waco, Amarillo...

And the more liberal cities tend to be tourist destinations or they sit in beautiful surroundings. San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Salt Lake City, Madison Wisconsin, Austin, Miami, Boston ...
Salt Lake City is LIBERAL? HAHAHAHAHA no it's not. It's land of the Mormons. And have you realized that cities the are more liberal tend to be less safe (higher crime rates), more broke, and the education systems are broken? (for example, look at Philadelphia) Blacks/minorities are the majority so it goes blue every election. Yet Philly is notorious for their high crime rate and failing education system (under a d-mayor). And look at Denver, in the state that legalized marijuana . And who goes to Portland? Also, all these liberal cities, especially Miami have a lack of jobs, while cities in Texas and Arizona employment rates are off the charts. Dallas is a very beautiful city and it seems everyone is moving to Texas and the Mid West. I guess we all enjoy that bland and borderline ugly landscape )

Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
Salt Lake City is LIBERAL? HAHAHAHAHA no it's not. It's land of the Mormons.
Salt Lake City itself actually is fairly liberal, despite the preconceptions you may have of it. It's the rest of Utah that is extremely conservative.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Salt Lake City itself actually is fairly liberal, despite the preconceptions you may have of it. It's the rest of Utah that is extremely conservative.
This is true. Salt Lake City itself is quite open minded and gay friendly.

On a side note, I was always told Houston was more liberal than Dallas. Now after living in both, I'm convinced that is 100% inaccurate.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:24 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
This is true. Salt Lake City itself is quite open minded and gay friendly.

On a side note, I was always told Houston was more liberal than Dallas. Now after living in both, I'm convinced that is 100% inaccurate.
It depends. Where in the Houston area do you live now?

Traditionally, Houston did have a more liberal atmosphere than Dallas, but Dallas has been more progressive in the recent few decades, whereas Houston, comparatively, has been quite lazy.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:36 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever noticed most conservative cities tend to be a little on the blan side? And usually the landscape is borderline ugly. For example Oklahoma City, Dallas, Wichita, Waco, Amarillo...

And the more liberal cities tend to be tourist destinations or they sit in beautiful surroundings. San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Denver, Salt Lake City, Madison Wisconsin, Austin, Miami, Boston ...
Colorado Springs (which admittedly is not politically homogeneous, but certainly conservative relative to other high population cities) is very scenic with the close backdrop of the Rocky Mountains.

It's worth noting that the most conservative major cities are significantly less conservative than a vast number of rural and outer suburban counties across the nation. Even in consistently "red" Oklahoma, the Republican margins are far narrower in Oklahoma City and Tulsa than elsewhere in the state, for example.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:18 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
I agree with your post, but to show you how conservative Oklahoma City is, many people go to Dallas for fun just to get away from the oppressive conservative religious attitudes of Oklahoma City. I have traveled all over the country and no place is as conservative as Oklahoma City. In Oklahoma City you feel like there's some kind of war on christianity. Seems every restaurant you go to the waitress say have a "blessed day." you see people praying everywhere. Seems like people try to start arguments on how bad the nation has become since Obama got elected. I live in Tulsa which is pretty conservative too, but we look at Oklahoma City like it should belong in Eastern Europe, that is if you could put Eastern Europe inside of oven in July and August! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Maybe things have changed very recently, but I've always experienced Dallas to be very conservative...and super religious

Note: I grew up in Texas and have been to Dallas eleventy billion times
Dallas is anything but conservative. I just left Dallas three months ago so my opinion is recent. There are very conservative sections of the metro area, but the city and Dallas County are not conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City