Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 10:58 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,428 times

Advertisements

So the only cities that have been agreed on are Oklahoma City, Colorado Springs, and Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 12:04 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
We're talking about cities... NOT metro.

The only major city in Texas that's even close to being conservative is Fort Worth, and like I said earlier, it's more moderate. And I don't know what it's like in St. Louis, but in DFW, the suburbs have little influence on Dallas or Fort Worth.
Well Dallas and Houston make up a much larger percent of their regional populations than St. Louis. Why do you think Dallas and Houston have such conservative suburbs that it makes the metro leaning conservative in comparison to many other large metros? With such a high percentage of transplants and really diverse populations, I would expect the metros to be at least moderately liberal. St. Louis has some really conservative suburbs, is not really diverse by national standards, and is a slow growth region but it looks like it has much different metro politics.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:15 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Bottom line is this. If you are conservative and go to DFW and Houston suburbs and expect conservative areas, you'll get it. If you are conservative and move to the cities of Dallas and Houston itself, prepare to be disappointed.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:36 PM

880 posts, read 2,861,428 times
If going by city limits only, Abeline TX takes the cake. In both the 2008 and 2012 elections, not a single precinct went Democrat in the entire city (not even downtown). Honorable mention would go to Provo UT. For overall metro areas though, it does not get more conservative than exurbs in the Deep South.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:07 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Well Dallas and Houston make up a much larger percent of their regional populations than St. Louis. Why do you think Dallas and Houston have such conservative suburbs that it makes the metro leaning conservative in comparison to many other large metros? With such a high percentage of transplants and really diverse populations, I would expect the metros to be at least moderately liberal. St. Louis has some really conservative suburbs, is not really diverse by national standards, and is a slow growth region but it looks like it has much different metro politics.
Because, low voter turn-out:
No Shows: Why So Few Texans Bother to Vote - The Texas Observer

Old 06-23-2015, 10:14 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
But don't go thinking that Dallas and Houston are conservative based on the rest of the metro area.
Maybe things have changed very recently, but I've always experienced Dallas to be very conservative...and super religious

Note: I grew up in Texas and have been to Dallas eleventy billion times

Old 06-23-2015, 10:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
SLC is far from conservative. It's become the place that all of the liberals in the state flee to. The mayor and all but one of the seven city council members are Democrats. The city hasn't had a Republican mayor since 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
The metropolitan area is still rather conservative. That's a better way to compare IMO.

Political orientation is strongly correlated with distance from the city center. Population density is also a good predictor too. The only exceptions to this pattern are the Black Belt in the South and interior New England, which are generally liberal despite being predominantly rural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I think this map says a lot and is a pretty accurate measure of metro conservativeness.
SLC is not known as some bastion of liberalism, either. See the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Colorado Springs should be on this conservative list. It is a military town that has a strong religious influence. Its nickname is the Evangelical Vatican.
I've lived in Colorado 35 years, and I never heard it called that. It has its liberals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
So the only cities that have been agreed on are Oklahoma City, Colorado Springs, and Jacksonville?
No, I disagree with Colorado Springs. The mayor was happy to see Obama when they had all those fires a few years ago. Of course, he wanted $$, but that's not a conservative thing, either.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:07 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Maybe things have changed very recently, but I've always experienced Dallas to be very conservative...and super religious

Note: I grew up in Texas and have been to Dallas eleventy billion times
"Dallas" as in Dallas or "Dallas" as in McKinney, Plano, Irving, Garland, etc...?

Because Dallas hasn't been a genuinely conservative city in a long time. No it's not San Francisco, but it sure as hell isn't Crawford.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:28 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Bottom line is this. If you are conservative and go to DFW and Houston suburbs and expect conservative areas, you'll get it. If you are conservative and move to the cities of Dallas and Houston itself, prepare to be disappointed.
Dallas has smaller city limits than Houston, but I'm sure you could find conservative areas, especially on the North side. Houston city limits are huge, and while inside the loop is moderate to liberal, there are big areas of the city which are very conservative. The Northwest side/council district A is conservative and has plenty of tea party types. Kingwood and Clear Lake are pretty conservative as well, all within city limits. Houston is too ethnically diverse within city limits for the city to be completely dominated by conservatives, but most of the predominantly white areas outside the loop are just as conservative as the Woodlands or Katy. If you are conservative and move to those areas of the city, you won't be disappointed.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:28 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
"Dallas" as in Dallas or "Dallas" as in McKinney, Plano, Irving, Garland, etc...?

Because Dallas hasn't been a genuinely conservative city in a long time. No it's not San Francisco, but it sure as hell isn't Crawford.
No I mean the city of Dallas, but again it may very well be different now. I do video work on the side and we were there at the Galleria on a job a few months ago. I didn't get a chance to check out the city like I used to partly because of schedule constraints and also because the whole city was under construction.

Its been about 12 or 13 years since the "growing up in Texas" part of my life so maybe I need to make time to check out the new liberal Dallas...if it does actually exist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City