Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The better of the two?
Florida (minus Southeast Florida) 78 56.12%
Ohio 61 43.88%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:43 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
If I remember right you moved to Columbus for a 60-something-k a year wage job. I think my maid here in Miami Beach makes around this much a year.
It's called difference in scale based on cost of living. You really think that $60K has the same buying power in both places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 11:07 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,178,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I said nothing about tourism. I was talking about the experience of living there. The economy is not that great and relies heavily on service industry jobs, which don't particularly pay well.

Florida is full of sprawl that literally all looks the exact same. That there are a few areas left that haven't been built on... it's just a matter of time.

Except that Ohio has the infrastructure to handle it, especially within its cities.

No one gets 5 feet of snow in one month in Ohio. Maybe during the entire season in the LES belts, but that's a small portion of the state. And I happen to like snow, and prefer the changing seasons. I even like the cold better than the heat. I hated feeling like I needed a shower every time I left the house. You basically have to live in air conditioning from spring-fall, and that's worse than having to live in the heat for just one season.

I don't have to get used to it, because it's not a problem where I'm from. Nature is something you visit, not something you live in.
And those who move to FL happen to like the heat or even the humidity, so?

The only time it's oppressive is August/September ( the opposite effect of winter weather up north). Even now it's not that bad given we've received lots of rain, at least in Central FL.

Your problem if you don't want to get used to nature. Some people appreciate FL for that (they are usually scientists, i.e. biologists, oceanographers etc.. not people on CD).

OH is full of sprawl too. Unless you're talking about NYC or similar urban environment, the rest of the US is SPRAWL(built around the car). Tell us something new. Btw, I repeat, South of ORL and immediately north, basically the middle part of FL, is empty. I'm not saying we need more people to move down here, but it's not as crowded as you make it sound.

Light bulb!!! Hello? The majority of jobs in the US are service oriented. Most manufacturing jobs are overseas, so really, what are you talking about? FL's economy currently ranks 7th. What about OH's?

and about the economy.. just an example:

Florida's economy ranks No. 7 overall - Orlando Business Journal

"In fact, Florida is home to one of the nation’s largest aerospace
and aviation industries (2,000+ companies), and has long been the
world’s premier gateway to space, the undisputed air traffic hub of the
Western Hemisphere, a major hub for flight training and MRO, and home
to leading manufacturers of all types of aircraft and aircraft components"

http://www.enterpriseflorida.com/wp-...ce-florida.pdf

Now please continue with the usual stereotypical bs..it's highly amusing.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 AM

116 posts, read 86,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
haha funny!

I don't live in Miami metro/South FL but visit often. The above statement is bs.

Miami has the 3rd largest skyline in the nation now and has been booming for years. If this is the worst area, then i don't know what Cleveland is (maybe below worst).

Downtown Miami Pictures - Page 273 - SkyscraperCity

Miami 3rd largest skyline in the USA - Page 41 - SkyscraperCity
You have your opinion.... and I have mine.... which many would agree with

Good day to you sir

Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
I like both Ohio and Florida for different reasons, but Ohio is able to provide me with a good job. Florida cannot do the same for me. Therefore, living in Ohio is more realistic, practical and possible!

Old 08-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
And those who move to FL happen to like the heat or even the humidity, so?

The only time it's oppressive is August/September ( the opposite effect of winter weather up north). Even now it's not that bad given we've received lots of rain, at least in Central FL.

Your problem if you don't want to get used to nature. Some people appreciate FL for that (they are usually scientists, i.e. biologists, oceanographers etc.. not people on CD).

OH is full of sprawl too. Unless you're talking about NYC or similar urban environment, the rest of the US is SPRAWL(built around the car). Tell us something new. Btw, I repeat, South of ORL and immediately north, basically the middle part of FL, is empty. I'm not saying we need more people to move down here, but it's not as crowded as you make it sound.

Light bulb!!! Hello? The majority of jobs in the US are service oriented. Most manufacturing jobs are overseas, so really, what are you talking about? FL's economy currently ranks 7th. What about OH's?

and about the economy.. just an example:

Florida's economy ranks No. 7 overall - Orlando Business Journal

"In fact, Florida is home to one of the nation’s largest aerospace
and aviation industries (2,000+ companies), and has long been the
world’s premier gateway to space, the undisputed air traffic hub of the
Western Hemisphere, a major hub for flight training and MRO, and home
to leading manufacturers of all types of aircraft and aircraft components"

http://www.enterpriseflorida.com/wp-...ce-florida.pdf

Now please continue with the usual stereotypical bs..it's highly amusing.
I wonder how many people would stay in Florida without air conditioning. That would be the true test of just how much people love heat and humidity.

Get used to nature? Sorry, I don't enjoy swarms of insects and alligators and poisonous snakes in my backyard. And neither do Floridians considering that so many people have to practically screen in their entire yards, especially around pools. And I don't love my house full of ants, which seems to be a very common issue in Florida. They are everywhere, like a plague. If you enjoy that, good for you.

Florida doesn't exactly come across as a strong conservation state. Every state has national parks, but the Everglades continues to be threatened. Wasn't there just a story not that long ago about a university selling ecologically sensitive land to developers for like a new strip mall? As if Florida doesn't already have 30 million of them. I've been to a lot of states, and never have I seen more sprawl and more disdain for its own natural resources. That's one of the issues that goes along with fast growth... too little planning and thought goes into anything.

Sprawl has actually been measured. Nowhere in Ohio comes close to Florida, especially its cities, when it comes to measured low-density sprawl. Miami does better with it, but only because it has natural borders on 2 sides and is forced to think a bit more about building practices and density.

On that particular ranking, Ohio came in at 13th. Not too bad for a state everyone seems to believe is perpetually economically depressed and total Rust Belt (it hasn't actually been for a long time). It also has lower unemployment than Florida. Ohio also outperforms Florida on a per-capita GDP by over $7,000 per person, and since 2010, Florida's per-capita has grown by just $297 vs. Ohio's $3,630, or more than 12x slower. Cost of living is also lower and its economy is more diverse. There are more industries that represent at least 10% of the total jobs in Ohio than in Florida, including more than 3x the number of manufacturing jobs. There are more F500 companies in Ohio. So I guess it just depends on what you're measuring.

Aviation comes from Ohio. It's also had a lot more astronauts and influential/famous people involved in space. Ironic.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:33 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,867 times
Quote:
I wonder how many people would stay in Florida without air conditioning. That would be the true test of just how much people love heat and humidity.
Many more than how many people would stay in Ohio without heat

Old 08-05-2015, 12:49 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,283,472 times
Quote:

Get used to nature? Sorry, I don't enjoy swarms of insects and alligators and poisonous snakes in my backyard. And neither do Floridians considering that so many people have to practically screen in their entire yards, especially around pools. And I don't love my house full of ants, which seems to be a very common issue in Florida. They are everywhere, like a plague. If you enjoy that, good for you.

Florida doesn't exactly come across as a strong conservation state. Every state has national parks, but the Everglades continues to be threatened. Wasn't there just a story not that long ago about a university selling ecologically sensitive land to developers for like a new strip mall? As if Florida doesn't already have 30 million of them. I've been to a lot of states, and never have I seen more sprawl and more disdain for its own natural resources. That's one of the issues that goes along with fast growth... too little planning and thought goes into anything.

Sprawl has actually been measured. Nowhere in Ohio comes close to Florida, especially its cities, when it comes to measured low-density sprawl. Miami does better with it, but only because it has natural borders on 2 sides and is forced to think a bit more about building practices and density.

On that particular ranking, Ohio came in at 13th. Not too bad for a state everyone seems to believe is perpetually economically depressed and total Rust Belt (it hasn't actually been for a long time). It also has lower unemployment than Florida. Ohio also outperforms Florida on a per-capita GDP by over $7,000 per person, and since 2010, Florida's per-capita has grown by just $297 vs. Ohio's $3,630, or more than 12x slower. Cost of living is also lower and its economy is more diverse. There are more industries that represent at least 10% of the total jobs in Ohio than in Florida, including more than 3x the number of manufacturing jobs. There are more F500 companies in Ohio. So I guess it just depends on what you're measuring.

Aviation comes from Ohio. It's also had a lot more astronauts and influential/famous people involved in space. Ironic.
What difference does it makes if air conditioning does or doesn't exist? That's a terrible qualifier. Obviously people are OK with living in hotter places if they can get AC.

Arguing who has more or less sprawl is pointless. It's like obese people arguing over who's in worse shape. Ohio is sprawling. Florida is sprawling. And the people who live there enjoy it. If you don't like it, live somewhere else. This website is too obsessed with walkable, urban meccas with a grocery store, boutique, and coffee shop on every corner. You couldn't even give credit to Miami for not being as sprawled, you had to take a dig at it.

People always find a way to cope. Don't like the cold? Build a fire. Don't want to walk? Take the bus. Don't want bugs in your backyard? Build a net. Not only can you enjoy the lovely warm evenings for almost the entire year but you can do it without being affected by bugs. Sounds like a win-win. Also, I lived in Florida for 4 years. Never even saw a snake or alligator. Most people probably never see one either, unless they actually walk into their natural habitat or live outside of a highly populated area.

It's obvious you don't like Florida, but let's not exaggerate the truth.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Many more than how many people would stay in Ohio without heat
Except historical precedence doesn't support that. The North was FAR more populated for a long time before central heating ever existed.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:15 PM

orlando-calrissian;40705681]
Quote:
What difference does it makes if air conditioning does or doesn't exist? That's a terrible qualifier. Obviously people are OK with living in hotter places if
they can get AC.
Because the claim was that people prefer heat and humidity and that they like it. I'm not sure that they do, I just think modern conveniences have made it tolerable.

Quote:
Arguing who has more or less sprawl is pointless.
Only if you don't know the answer, don't like the truth, or think sprawl is a good thing.

Quote:
It's like obese people arguing over who's in worse shape. Ohio is sprawling.
Florida is sprawling. And the people who live there enjoy it. If you don't like
it, live somewhere else. This website is too obsessed with walkable, urban
meccas with a grocery store, boutique, and coffee shop on every corner. You
couldn't even give credit to Miami for not being as sprawled, you had to take a
dig at it.
I did give credit to Miami, but I'm just not convinced it wouldn't be like Orlando if it didn't have the Everglades preventing western expansion. Since it does, it has been forced to build a lot better. Whatever the reason, I consider that a good thing. Miami is, by far, Florida's best city, and the closest thing it has to a true urban environment. Now, of course, if you don't like urban living, that wouldn't be a positive, but it is for me.

Quote:
People always find a way to cope. Don't like the cold? Build a fire. Don't
want to walk? Take the bus. Don't want bugs in your backyard? Build a net. Not
only can you enjoy the lovely warm evenings for almost the entire year but you
can do it without being affected by bugs. Sounds like a win-win. Also, I lived
in Florida for 4 years. Never even saw a snake or alligator. Most people
probably never see one either, unless they actually walk into their natural
habitat or live outside of a highly populated area.
Sure, you can adapt, but that's not the issue. The issue is how many things you have to adapt to. From my perspective and experience, you just have to adapt to a lot more in Florida. You shouldn't have to build a fortress of nets around your yard to enjoy an evening outside. I saw both... right in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Good luck watching your pets. It's not like these things are unprecedented.

Quote:
It's obvious you don't like Florida, but let's not exaggerate the truth.
No, I don't like Florida. It has its charms for vacation, but living there changes a lot of the perspective.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:17 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,154,867 times
Quote:
Except historical precedence doesn't support that. The North was FAR more populated for a long time before central heating ever existed.
Central Heating? Do you know how to read? People had radiators since the early 1900s, maybe even before. That's a form of heat and can heat just as well as central heating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City