Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The better of the two?
Florida (minus Southeast Florida) 78 56.12%
Ohio 61 43.88%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:45 PM

116 posts, read 86,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I have a higher QOL of life in Miami (Beach) than any place I lived. Ocean breezes, watching lightening over the ocean from my balcony, going swimming everyday, boating, jet skiing whenever I want, enjoying a nice glass of wine to a warm night overlooking the atlantic. This place is heaven if you know how to make money. If you don't then no where is heaven. Life sucks being poor, everywhere. But it's better to be well off here than Ohio that's for sure. And poor here too, at least you won't freeze.
Just because you do doesn't mean most people do

Besides I know how to make money, I live in Portland which is more expensive than Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,283,673 times
We're getting real nitpicky if we're saying that Australia isn't a warmer climate... and then disregarding Singapore and Hong Kong... and then claiming that Southern European countries are significantly worse than Northern ones (although there's no question that Scandinavian countries have the highest standard of life). The eurozone countries to fail at repaying their government debt were Greece, Cyprus, Spain, Portugal, and Ireland, plus Iceland's banking system failed. So that's 2 Southern European countries, and 4 Western ones, 2 of which are in the North. Plus you have Russia, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia, none of which are great QOL.

...so what I'm saying is the cold weather theory doesn't have much merit.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:24 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,155,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandnewb View Post
Just because you do doesn't mean most people do

Besides I know how to make money, I live in Portland which is more expensive than Miami
Miami has more ghettos, but our nice areas you have no equivalent of in Portland. You couldn't afford to live in Miami other than a ghetto.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:27 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,143,170 times
Portland is not more expensive than Miami...

Old 08-05-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Miami has more ghettos, but our nice areas you have no equivalent of in Portland. You couldn't afford to live in Miami other than a ghetto.
Bull.... Miami is not that lavish....don't be mad that Miami is not that desirable.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Bull.... Miami is not that lavish....don't be mad that Miami is not that desirable.
Find these prices in Portland: 100 Most Expensive Sales in South Beach and Miami Beach - Condos by Brown Harris Stevens | Zilbert - Zilbert International Realty - Zilbert Realty Group - Luxury Condos, Miami, South Beach, Florida MLS Listings

If you come to Miami you'd stay in a ghetto.

Take a look where you can find a rent, in the ghettoes: https://www.zumper.com/blog/2015/07/...oods-in-miami/

Old 08-05-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Portland is not more expensive than Miami...
Home Prices in 100 Top U.S. Metro Areas-Kiplinger

The realtors disagree with you.... average home in Portland metro is 258k average in Miami is 185k

Old 08-05-2015, 07:38 PM

Does that include your weekly motel?

A few wealthy homes does not make a place desirable overall

Average home in the metro is a better stat.... higher in Portland

Every major West coast city is more desirable than Miami.... sorry man

Old 08-05-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Home Prices in 100 Top U.S. Metro Areas-Kiplinger

The realtors disagree with you.... average home in Portland metro is 258k average in Miami is 185k
Like I said, ghettoes. We have more of them. But our areas fit to live are more than expensive than yours. You can't buy a home in my area unless you want to spend around a 1 million. Now take a look at those sales, and find me one condo in Portland that sold for almost 30 million You'd probably not even be able to find a condo that sold for 3 million in Portland let alone 30 million.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:59 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
They are not, no one moves to a cold place for her climate. For jobs, sure. For family, sure. People move to warm climates just to be warm, Florida is an example. People come here without jobs, without hope of finding jobs, just to live where it's warm. If Florida was located where Ohio was, and had the same economy as we do now, we'd have 1/2 to 1/3 as many people. If you went ahead and moved Ohio to where Florida is now, you'd have a lot more people too.

Right now the three largest states in the USA are warm weather ones: California, Texas, and Florida.
I'm sure there are a few people who may move to colder climates because they prefer that to heat, and vice versa. But you're absolutely wrong to think that most people move for weather in either direction. You're also wrong to believe that most people can simply pack up and move cross-country without any job prospects lined up. They will either have to have significant savings or family/friend connections already established to help them out until they can find work. Even so, actual mobility surveys show again and again that people put economic and family reasons as the #1 reason to relocate, followed by education. Change of climate was cited less than 1% of all responses.

So why doesn't Mississippi have 10-20 million? Alabama? Louisiana? SC? Tennessee? All are warmer than Ohio, yet have much less population. Why are these exceptions? Only 2 Southern states have higher population than Ohio: Texas and Florida. This doesn't support your argument whatsoever.
Further, several Southern states actually have a net loss TO Ohio in terms of domestic migration. How do you explain that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City