Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The better of the two?
Florida (minus Southeast Florida) 78 56.12%
Ohio 61 43.88%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 02:01 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,136,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
What am I to ignore? Virginia and North Carolina also have high populations. Numerous other Southern states are exploding in population (read South Carolina). States like Mississippi and Alabama are growing as well despite incredibly lowsy standard of living. There is currently in this country a huge population shift from the east coast and midwest to the west and south.
You seem to intentionally be missing the point I'm making. If your theory is correct and people will move in larger numbers just for warmer weather, then every Southern state should be the US' most populated. Yet they are not. Could it be because states like Mississippi and Alabama have terrible economic conditions and low quality of life and that warm weather does not actually supersede those factors?

If you look at actual domestic migration trends, Southern states are receiving fewer and fewer transplants from the North. Rather, a lot of their growth, and indeed larger than migration, is natural (births vs. deaths).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 02:30 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,288,383 times
The amount of exaggeration in some of these posts are ridiculous... And I'm talking both sides. Ohio really isn't that much better than Florida, and vice versa.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:34 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,288,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandnewb View Post
The opportunities down there are not what they were in the 80's and 90's as well as many Midwestern cities making a comeback

Also, many who move to Florida and other Southern states move back because of the lower quality of life down there than they are used to

You see it all the time on the NY forum for instance
Really? Or do people move back for other reasons? Like maybe, different than what they expected, missing family, homesick? If anything Florida has improved since the 80s and 90s, and has expanded from more than just service industries. People are still moving to Florida at a high rate, even while others move away.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:55 PM

5,033 posts, read 5,722,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
We're getting real nitpicky if we're saying that Australia isn't a warmer climate... and then disregarding Singapore and Hong Kong... and then claiming that Southern European countries are significantly worse than Northern ones (although there's no question that Scandinavian countries have the highest standard of life). The eurozone countries to fail at repaying their government debt were Greece, Cyprus, Spain, Portugal, and Ireland, plus Iceland's banking system failed. So that's 2 Southern European countries, and 4 Western ones, 2 of which are in the North. Plus you have Russia, Eastern Europe, and Central Asia, none of which are great QOL.

...so what I'm saying is the cold weather theory doesn't have much merit.
Sydney does have several months with lows in the 40s, but fair enough, I'll give you Sydney is warm weather.

I wouldn't say that weather is the only factor, but it can certainly make a difference I think. I'll give you Ireland and Iceland, but even despite those struggles, a general rule in Europe is Northern is Better. But, again, that doesn't necessarily have to do with weather.

I was curious about this though, so I did some research.

When looking at the World's Powerful Economic cities, out of the 25, 20 have at least one month or more where the average high is below 50*. I'd have to think that a disproportionate percentage of the world's GDP would also come from those 20, and especially when adding in other powerful northern cities not listed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_and_wealth Some interesting reading material on the subject, which I find fascinating. The links are very worthwhile mostly.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:47 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,521,500 times
Ohio. It is in the north, and it's in the Midwest. Sure, it's not the nicest state in the Midwest, not the cleanest, safest or friendliest, but it's closer to where I wanna settle down, which is Minnesota.

I'm from Florida, and even though Texas is not my ideal of paradise either, I prefer it here a lot more for various reasons. Florida will always be home to me, it's where I grew up and where my family is, but I can't move back and be happy.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:43 PM

801 posts, read 1,518,784 times
Florida.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:56 PM

62 posts, read 66,593 times
The cold dry winter air in Ohio makes my skin itch painfully. The cold itself can be painful and the snow and ice are a PITA. Ohio is cloudy most of the time. Florida is too hot and humid outside in the summer but easily the better option for me overall.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:16 PM

4,431 posts, read 4,342,749 times
I'd take Ohio despite the inferior weather. I just has more geographical, economical, cultural and architectural diversity IMO. Also believe it or not the economy is better.

Last edited by Turnerbro; 04-15-2018 at 02:38 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 08:10 PM

14,198 posts, read 22,833,830 times
I'd live in Ohio and vacation regularly in Florida.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:29 AM

66 posts, read 52,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I know next to nothing about Cleveland except there are sports teams that are from there. And many people know even less.
Well I don't anything about Jacksonville and all I know about Orlando is that disneyworld is there soooo....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City