Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The better of the two?
Florida (minus Southeast Florida) 78 56.12%
Ohio 61 43.88%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 05:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
So wait... First y'all say that people aren't moving South because it's warmer, just for economic reasons. But then, certain countries are doing better because they're in colder environments?! Come on now, don't give me that. I can't believe you would oversimplify all the social and economic problems in those countries to "it's hot, that's why it's bad".

There are countries in warmer locations doing well: Australia, New Zealand, or the Mediterranean countries of Europe have warmer climates than the northern US. Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan have a similar climate to Florida.
Most people, according to US Census surveys, don't move for weather-related reasons, but rather economic ones. It's basic logic- would you move for a job or because there's 10% more sunshine somewhere?

I said there's a theory that suggests colder climates breed more ingenuity. That's doesn't really have anything to do with migration trends. Most people don't move north because it's colder the same way they don't move south because it's warmer. That doesn't mean that climate doesn't play a role in how people perform, because there is evidence that it does.

There will always be exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 05:17 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,152,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandnewb View Post
And your point is? Most of Florida is a swamp
Maybe a swamp on the interior, surrounded by ocean on every direction. Ohio is farmland, surrounded by farmland.

At least this swamp is green with animals only found in florida like alligators and even crocodiles in certain parts. But if you go north you get lakes, and forests.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP[QUOTE
Miami;40707709]Many reasons, such as being pushed out, exploring, etc.
So that happened almost universally across the world? That today, most of the world's most populated, most powerful and richest nations are in colder climates? Just a total coincidence? That's why the theory exists. I honestly don't know how much I buy into it, but it is interesting to consider.

Quote:
I think QOL is better in Florida than Ohio.
Of course you think that, or you wouldn't live there I presume.

Quote:
This is getting into some dangerous waters regarding the different races who
adapted in different climates.
I don't see how. Economic conditions of an entire country don't necessarily preclude success within groups or individuals, regardless of race.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Warm places have less developed economies because the weather is nice, meaning people need to work less to create a climate necessary for survival. Cold climates on the other hand, are harsh and devastating. So only the hard working survived. This is why cold climate places are better developed, because they suck, and they need hard workers to make them work.
If they suck so much, and there are obviously better, more hospitable places to live, why would so many people voluntarily stay there and work so hard? That would seem to be completely unnecessary.

Otherwise, you are basically getting at the heart of why the theory of colder climates=greater success exists.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
If they suck so much, and there are obviously better, more hospitable places to live, why would so many people voluntarily stay there and work so hard? That would seem to be completely unnecessary.

Otherwise, you are basically getting at the heart of why the theory of colder climates=greater success exists.
They are not, no one moves to a cold place for her climate. For jobs, sure. For family, sure. People move to warm climates just to be warm, Florida is an example. People come here without jobs, without hope of finding jobs, just to live where it's warm. If Florida was located where Ohio was, and had the same economy as we do now, we'd have 1/2 to 1/3 as many people. If you went ahead and moved Ohio to where Florida is now, you'd have a lot more people too.

Right now the three largest states in the USA are warm weather ones: California, Texas, and Florida.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:12 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,365 times
Can we get a stat on exactly how much better the north is than the south, standard of living wise? I'd imagine that at a comparable salary, things are fairly even. People here act like living in Florida is like working at McDonalds while living in the north is like being a brain surgeon. Clearly that's not the case.

Also, again, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Chile, and Singapore are all considered high QOL locations with warm climates.

Also, Eastern Europe and Russia aren't known for their high QOL. Those are colder climates. Also the "Stans" in Central Asia aren't so great either.

Last edited by orlando-calrissian; 08-05-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 06:20 PM

116 posts, read 86,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Can we get a stat on exactly how much better the north is than the south, standard of living wise? I'd imagine that at a comparable salary, things are fairly even. People here act like living in Florida is like working at McDonalds while living in the north is like being a brain surgeon. Clearly that's not the case.

Also, again, Australia, New Zealand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Chile, and Singapore are all considered high QOL locations with warm climates.
Best Cities for Quality of Life: Full Ranking - NerdWallet

Here is one..... Miami ranked dead last..... hmmm...

Old 08-05-2015, 06:27 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
On presidents: The solid answer ‘Home’ to More Presidents: Ohio or Va.? Number is sort of open to interpretation here. As far as significance, I think that Grant and Taft were pretty well known, especially Taft since he was the only person to ever be both CJOTSC and POTUS. Regarding other significance, while admittedly some presidents were more influential than others, much of what we believe as being "most significant" presidents has to do with what our historical curriculum determined should be emphasized. Anyone care to elaborate on what happened in the War of 1812? Or between 1812-1864? or between 1865-1914? A documentary, the Men Who Built America, takes a more detailed look at that latter period. A POTUS is a POTUS period, and so that should receive it's due.

It's interesting. While there are many wonderful people I've met since coming down to Florida. I've noticed that in general, people are less passionate. Of course, there are some, and that is a stereotype, that typically tends to function towards meatheads screaming at a Browns or Buckeyes game, but it extends to other things, arts, dining, history, nature etc. People are big on their hobbies in the midwest it strikes me. Where, in Florida, I think a lot of the allure for moving has to do with sunshine/beaches/theme parks, some (not all) spend all their time relaxing at those things. Now going to parks once in a while isn't a bad thing. But, it seems like for many, they either do that, or do nothing at all (Malls are HUGE in Florida too), it's like a mass of humanity just going to look around in a huge consumerist parade. While Florida prides itself on malls for when weather goes foul, I would say Ohio in general prides itself more on it's library systems and cultural institutions/museums (guess which one I'd rather have). In Ohio, perhaps since there isn't a major "draw" per se, like "theme parks" or "beaches", people sort of spend time developing their own hobbies. That's at least part of my reasoning on why there's a much more vibrant arts/culture, sports, nature, history, dining, literary (as a general rule, it seems like more books are read in Ohio and I've even heard things about how Ohio has the highest rate of any state per capita for visiting libraries.

Another theory I've had about nature and why many people are admittedly preferring SunBelt Climates, is that these cities are absolutely perfect nature cities for people who aren't outdoors people/aren't particularly big on running/biking/hiking outside on a consistent basis. It occurred to me today when I was applying for jobs on campuses down here today, and was sweating so profusely that it was a good thing I had a sports coat to hide the fact that my dress shirt looked as if I had jumped in a swimming pool. For short term exposure, which is all many down here do (a minute here or there while walking to or from a building or mall, or sitting out on the porch in the evening) the summer weather isn't that much of a problem, whereas, when just dealing with Northern winter on a short term basis, it can probably be a bit more agitating. However, when one actually enjoys going out for a hike, or run, etc., while nature parks in Florida can have their unique biological charm, even going for a brisk walk or run in Ohio can be more pleasant than the south just about anytime of the year, as long as one is okay with wearing layers, because while cold can be some things, at least it isn't exhausting. Also, two points about nature: First, while Florida has a decent number of nature preserves and state parks, many of them are away from the mainstream population, far enough that going there on a regular basis isn't realistic, and doing so isn't quite as pleasant, because I have to be honest, it really can get somewhat mushy/swampy. While Florida has it's sandy beaches that appeal to some, I really hadn't taken into account how nice it was to walk under the scenic Ohio trees, and just the scents and feel they gave was more appealing, and being able to go in Ohio grass and sit down and it being much more smooth, and also not having to worry about fire ants. I guess I kinda got off topic, but, if you look at Google Maps for Ohio metros compared to Florida ones, you see far more green/nature spaces that are right where the general public happens to live (because they thought about that when developing the area.)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cl...04cb55f7621842
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ta...5f1389af96b463
A glance at these maps should show what I am referring to. Also, they have organized park systems which plan enriching events and activities for the community. I don't have numbers, but I am guessing they are far more utilized than Florida's State Parks, just based on awareness alone. It also seems like just going for a recreational jog or walk is far more popular as well. The Cleveland Half Marathon had nearly twice as many finishers as the Orlando (OUC) Half Marathon, even though Orlando isn't that much smaller than Cleveland (admittedly the Disney Half Marathon is massive, but I'd guess many running that are from out of area as well). It also does appear that the fastest cross country times are typically faster in Northern states.

Also, I think that Ohio gets looked at as a place where nature is boring, but quite frankly, I think these pictures would suggest otherwise (see below):

I was laughing quietly to myself (since I didn't want to get in a debate) with my future father in law who was teasing me that the reason high school football games in Ohio are way more popular than in Florida is because there is nothing else to do because of the weather. The statement was laughable both because football is an outdoor sport, and because through August and September, and likely for most October, Ohio holds an advantage in the weather department.

The KSC is awesome. But it's undeniable that Ohio has contributed many of the individuals essential to these developments. Are there any astronauts more famous to the typical person than Neil Armstrong or John Glenn? Perhaps Alan Shepard and Yuri Gagarin are pretty well known, but the point still holds true.

I'll give that Australia is an anomaly, and perhaps even New Zealand, though many parts of it and even Australia have pretty temperate or cold winters. Singapore and Hong Kong are more of shipping ports and wealth reserves, it's hard to really compare them. I don't think using the Mediterranean countries is very helpful, especially recently, if anything it actually furthers the point, because at least as of now, excluding Monaco, QOL and Economic indexes show Northern/Central European economies far eclipsing those of Southern Europe.

Way more than two cents, but figured I would weigh in.
Attached Thumbnails
Ohio versus Florida (minus Southeast Florida)-ashcave.jpg   Ohio versus Florida (minus Southeast Florida)-shawneestateforest.jpg   Ohio versus Florida (minus Southeast Florida)-ohiocaverns.jpg   Ohio versus Florida (minus Southeast Florida)-holdenarb.jpg   Ohio versus Florida (minus Southeast Florida)-needleeye.jpg  

Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:

I have a higher QOL of life in Miami (Beach) than any place I lived. Ocean breezes, watching lightening over the ocean from my balcony, going swimming everyday, boating, jet skiing whenever I want, enjoying a nice glass of wine to a warm night overlooking the atlantic. This place is heaven if you know how to make money. If you don't then no where is heaven. Life sucks being poor, everywhere. But it's better to be well off here than Ohio that's for sure. And poor here too, at least you won't freeze.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:40 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,365 times
Quote:

Is that city or metro? There is no question that the city of Miami doesn't have the highest QOL. But I'd bet the surrounding suburbs do.

That list also ranks NYC at 92. Which is below Detroit. Not sure how much credibility I give that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City