Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 8 days ago)

8,393 posts, read 5,549,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It's been the exact opposite in my experiences. It's happened to me a few times where I've told people (mostly from out of the country) that they should visits Dallas if they ever get the chance and their reaction is "Dallas?"...as if they'd never heard of it before. But whenever I mention how it's not far from Houston they seem to at least know what I'm talking about.
I think it depends on where. When I was in India, it was the exact opposite of what you’re describing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,853,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Indeed.

I would say Houston appeals more to international immigrants and African Americans. Every other demographic seems to gravitate towards Dallas.
How does it appeal more to African Americans when they roughly have the same number of black folks. It comes down more to preference. I’ve never been on that bandwagon Houston was better for blacks and I’ve been down there on many occasions and I’m still not convinced. Dallas has always in my opinion been the more outward of the two owning it has some problems. City-data will have you think there is some type of racial harmony down in Houston which is not the case. It was a Dallas news station that sought and got the release of Sandra Bland cellphone video from a incident that happened in the Houston area.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:22 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,223,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
How does it appeal more to African Americans when they roughly have the same number of black folks. It comes down more to preference. I’ve never been on that bandwagon Houston was better for blacks and I’ve been down there on many occasions and I’m still not convinced. Dallas has always in my opinion been the more outward of the two owning it has some problems. City-data will have you think there is some type of racial harmony down in Houston which is not the case. It was a Dallas news station that sought and got the release of Sandra Bland cellphone video from a incident that happened in the Houston area.
As usual, you misinterpret and misread things that aren't there. No one said that Houston was some sort of racially harmonious paradise, but it's perceived to be a lot more black-friendly than the Dallas Fort Worth Area from a national standpoint, and is a stronger exporter and promoter of black Texan culture than DFW is. Also, it's mostly black families who move to DFW as opposed to Houston, which attracts more black singles. The numbers even out though, hence the near parity of black populations between the two metros

I know you rarely venture outside of I-820 in Fort Worth, and therefore don't know any better though. While I understand you're more privy to the local nuances and culture in the area - which is why you're always pressed and mad when people bring up this issue and constantly deny why Houston is perceived has having more black culture than DFW does (see my comments above about Houston being more of an exporter and promoter than DFW is). And besides, We're talking about being on the outside of Texas and looking in, I wouldn't expect natives of the DFW or Houston areas to be unbiased about this particular matter anyhow.

And releasing cell phone video of a tragic incident is nothing more than a ratings grab by a news organization seeking profit from people's outrage, it doesn't make WFAA more "progressive." And this is coming from someone who acknowledges WFAA as being one of the better local news operations in the country.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:33 AM

1,168 posts, read 781,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Indeed.

I would say Houston appeals more to international immigrants and African Americans. Every other demographic seems to gravitate towards Dallas.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't DFW's black American population been growing much faster than Houston's? Houston has a reputation for sure, but I think Dallas still has more universal appeal with blacks across the country.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:34 AM

20,524 posts, read 33,602,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
If you go to other various black centered forums around the internet, you will see that Houston is more popular than DFW. The reasons that are listed on those forums are in line with what you see on here as well so it isn't just this forum.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't DFW's black American population been growing much faster than Houston's? Houston has a reputation for sure, but I think Dallas still has more universal appeal with blacks across the country.
This thread is about reputation and perception from outsiders/people outside of Texas moreso than cold hard facts. Obviously, a Texan would have a more nuanced and balanced view of what's going on from the inside. Numbers/stats do indicate that Dallas-Ft Worth's black population is growing faster, but Houston isn't far behind. The more diverse economy in Dallas-Ft. Worth is definitely a factor in that. Hell, one of my nephews from Mississippi just moved to Grand Prairie to join his brother and enjoys DFW immensely... Dallas definitely has a more universal appeal overall than Houston does overall for reasons stated earlier in this thread (economies, more middle american metro versus unapologetically gulf south, etc.), so that applies to black people as well, but that doesn't negate the perception/reputation that Houston has for black people neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you go to other various black centered forums around the internet, you will see that Houston is more popular than DFW. The reasons that are listed on those forums are in line with what you see on here as well so it isn't just this forum.
^ This. We aren't talking out of our behinds here, we're just going by what other people are saying. This is virtual barbershop talk to a degree.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 05-22-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 10:38 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,396,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
This thread is about reputation and perception. Numbers/stats do indicate that Dallas-Ft Worth's black community is growing faster, but Houston isn't far behind. The more diverse economy in Dallas is definitely a factor in that. Dallas definitely has a more universal appeal overall than Houston does overall for reasons stated earlier in this thread, so that applies to black people as well, but that doesn't negate the perception/reputation that Houston has for black people neither.
This...... Dallas is attracting blacks because of the diverse strong economy. I moved to Dallas but as a single black I definitely preferred the culture of Houston, but if you're not in the Oil/Gas industry there may be ten times as many opportunities in DFW for you than in Houston.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
This...... Dallas is attracting blacks because of the diverse strong economy. I moved to Dallas but as a single black I definitely preferred the culture of Houston, but if you're not in the Oil/Gas industry there may be ten times as many opportunities in DFW for you than in Houston.
^ This. I've worked in defense contracting or IT for the past few years. Guess where there's more opportunities for those lines of work? My manager from one of my old jobs here recently relocated from DC to DFW and told me about the sheer amount of opportunities there for my line of work. Trying to transfer my skills to Houston and its economy would be a tall order in comparison. While I personally prefer Houston as a single black male from a cultural standpoint, that doesn't pay my bills, so I'd have to scratch my ass and get glad in Dallas and make the best of it if the opportunity presented itself. Life is all about making sacrifices and choices, some of which aren't fun...

It's not like I plan or have a desire to relocate back to the South anytime soon, but I know I'd have to weigh my options if I did.

Last edited by biscuit_head; 05-22-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 10:49 AM

20,524 posts, read 33,602,357 times
Quote:
This thread is about reputation and perception from outsiders moreso than facts. Numbers/stats do indicate that Dallas-Ft Worth's black population is growing faster, but Houston isn't far behind. The more diverse economy in Dallas-Ft. Worth is definitely a factor in that. Hell, one of my nephews from Mississippi just moved to Grand Prairie to join his brother and enjoys DFW immensely... Dallas definitely has a more universal appeal overall than Houston does overall for reasons stated earlier in this thread (economies, more middle american metro versus unapologetically gulf south, etc.), so that applies to black people as well, but that doesn't negate the perception/reputation that Houston has for black people neither.

^ This. We aren't talking out of our behinds here, we're just going by what other people are saying. This is virtual barbershop talk to a degree.
Yeah I heard it from the mouths of even people up here in DC. They say Dallas is cool but they like Houston better. I get the appeal of DFW though.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:57 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,853,883 times
Quote:
As usual, you misinterpret and misread things that aren't there. No one said that Houston was some sort of racially harmonious paradise, but it's perceived to be a lot more black-friendly than the Dallas Fort Worth Area from a national standpoint, and is a stronger exporter and promoter of black Texan culture than DFW is. Also, it's mostly black families who move to DFW as opposed to Houston, which attracts more black singles.

I know you rarely venture outside of I-820 in Fort Worth, and therefore don't know any better though. While I understand you're more privy to the local nuances and culture in the area - which is why you're always pressed and mad when people bring up this issue and constantly deny why Houston is perceived has having more black culture than DFW does (see my comments above about Houston being more of an exporter and promoter than DFW is). And besides, We're talking about being on the outside of Texas and looking in, I wouldn't expect natives of the DFW or Houston areas to be unbiased about this particular matter anyhow.

And releasing cell phone video of a tragic incident is nothing more than a ratings grab by a news organization seeking profit from people's outrage, it doesn't make WFAA more "progressive." And this is coming from someone who acknowledges WFAA as being one of the better local news operations in the country.

You love you some kdogg don’t you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City