Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2020, 10:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Evansville seems like a cool little city with some hip artsy walkable neighborhoods. My architecture friend had a project there so spent a few weeks and raved about it as well. BUT...it's just not big enough and while Racine ain't bustling either, it is right in between Milwaukee and Chicago and easily accessible to both cities. So yeah, with the caveat that this is sight unseen, I'm picking Racine.

Kansas City v Houston
I visited Houston for the first time last summer, and to my surprise, found I liked it an awful lot. Houstonians are friendly as all-get-out, and the various racial and ethnic groups that live in Texas' answer to Los Angeles mix and (inter)mingle with an ease that I've not seen in any other American city. I could definitely live there.

But it's Texas' answer to LA, which means its many freeways are filled with Mario Andretti wannabes all driving 70 bumper-to-bumper. I witnessed (or in one case, bypassed thanks to the frontage roads) two rather spectacular car crashes in the three days of my visit. That's a pretty high ratio. And I had to call my slalom driving skills out of the deep recesses of my memory, where a visit to LA in the early 1980s had implanted them, especially to make it across five lanes of that bumper-to-bumper traffic doing 70 in order not to miss an exit ramp I needed to take.

Kansas Citians don't drive like maniacs on the area freeways, which are usually not clogged at all; the city is one of the least congested big cities in the country. And the city isn't located in what really ought to be a swamp, and it has winter, and it has more walkable districts (though still not enough of them).

So I gotta go with my forever hometown still. And Kansas Citians are pretty friendly too. They could still use some lessons in race and ethnic mixing from Houstonians, however.

California, Mo., or California, Pa.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 12:00 PM

3,931 posts, read 2,243,455 times
California, PA. It's bigger, close to Pittsburgh and I'd rather live in PA than MO.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:38 PM

613 posts, read 331,829 times
Dayton, OH or Lansing, MI?

Old 09-11-2020, 06:15 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,561,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Dayton, OH or Lansing, MI?
Lansing. I lived in OH and really enjoyed it. But Dayton has its issues and it's losing city and metro population. I just couldn't live in an area that's dying like that. I also have family in MI

Albany, NY or Burlington, VT?

Old 09-11-2020, 08:06 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Lansing. I lived in OH and really enjoyed it. But Dayton has its issues and it's losing city and metro population. I just couldn't live in an area that's dying like that. I also have family in MI

Albany, NY or Burlington, VT?
Albany come through. Burlington was overhyped.

Hampton, VA or Tallahassee, FL?

Old 09-11-2020, 08:52 PM

597 posts, read 453,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Albany come through. Burlington was overhyped.

Hampton, VA or Tallahassee, FL?

Hampton. Better Metro area... proximity to places of interest like Richmond, The Northern Neck, and the Eastern Shore.

Covington KY or Utica NY

Old 09-11-2020, 09:57 PM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Hampton. Better Metro area... proximity to places of interest like Richmond, The Northern Neck, and the Eastern Shore.

Covington KY or Utica NY
Covington, which is right across the Ohio River from Cincinnati and is home to that city's airport. Utica may be a nice little city, but it's not really near anywhere (or that close to somewhere else).

Baton Rouge, La., or Salt Lake City, Utah? (You've all picked up that these places have notable universities in them. What sets them apart is that they're also their respective states' capital cities. There aren't too many that are both.)

Old 09-11-2020, 10:12 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Covington, which is right across the Ohio River from Cincinnati and is home to that city's airport. Utica may be a nice little city, but it's not really near anywhere (or that close to somewhere else).

Baton Rouge, La., or Salt Lake City, Utah? (You've all picked up that these places have notable universities in them. What sets them apart is that they're also their respective states' capital cities. There aren't too many that are both.)
Salt Lake City is a nice metro. The city itself is underrated and has a great economy.

Norman, OK or Murfreesboro, TN?

Old 09-11-2020, 10:15 PM

90 posts, read 79,155 times
Murfreesboro, TN. I’ve never been but a quick google search shows me there’s some neat history there. From the pictures I’ve seen, I think I would prefer the scenery in Tennessee.

Oro Valley, Arizona or Plano, Texas

Old 09-11-2020, 10:35 PM

613 posts, read 331,829 times
Plano

Yuma, AZ or Laredo, TX?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City