Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2023, 02:13 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,086,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, I have to pick Davenport, because someone I absolutely loathe lives in Dayton! Phooey to that person! And though the Quad Cities are becoming high crime, Davenport is considered the safest and nicest of the 4 (for those who don't know, the others are Rock Island, Moline, and Bettendorf.)

Farmington, NM or Flagstaff, AZ?
Not normally an AZ type of guy, but everything I've heard about Farmington is that it's run-down, high-crime, with no opportunities even by NM standards. Flagstaff also at least has a nice climate, 4 seasons with real winters and and plenty of snow. And it's at 77k people, not too tiny to have anything going on.

Manitowoc, WI or Charleston, WV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2023, 05:27 AM

14,333 posts, read 9,210,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Not normally an AZ type of guy, but everything I've heard about Farmington is that it's run-down, high-crime, with no opportunities even by NM standards. Flagstaff also at least has a nice climate, 4 seasons with real winters and and plenty of snow. And it's at 77k people, not too tiny to have anything going on.

Manitowoc, WI or Charleston, WV?
Charleston, and that is admittedly without having seen Manitowoc. It may have that lakefront, but Charleston is wedged in between mountains along the Kanawha River, and that setting IMO makes it far more picturesque.

Springfield, Ill., or Springfield, Mo.? (One of these days we should set up an NCAA-style Tournament of the Springfields.)

Old 03-08-2023, 09:33 AM

433 posts, read 312,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Charleston, and that is admittedly without having seen Manitowoc. It may have that lakefront, but Charleston is wedged in between mountains along the Kanawha River, and that setting IMO makes it far more picturesque.

Springfield, Ill., or Springfield, Mo.? (One of these days we should set up an NCAA-style Tournament of the Springfields.)
Without a doubt the one in Missouri is better than the one in Illinois. Only con with Springfield, MO (besides crime/weather) is that SWMO is a very evangelical place and racially homogenous, but the Route 66 attractions, gateway to the Ozarks, not that far from NWA, KC, Tulsa, and Lake of the Ozarks, makes this Springfield very unique! The one in Illinois is just besides the state capitol, and Lincoln related sites is very run down, boring, and not a lot of Route 66 attractions. Plus the High Illinois Taxes

Still in the Midwest

Flint, MI or Rockford, IL?

Old 03-08-2023, 09:39 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,643,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Sp IL is pretty run down nowadays, and Sp MO is ultra religious. I think I'd rather contend with crime than baptists and AofG adherents, so I pick Springfield, IL.

Also, yes to the battle of the Springfields!

OK then, Bloomington, MN or Bloomington, IL?

Old 03-08-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
Flint, MI or Rockford, IL?
Oops, we overlapped. Definitely Rockford IL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So again, Bloomington MN or Bloomington IL?

Old 03-08-2023, 10:00 AM

9,416 posts, read 13,074,015 times
Quote:
Oops, we overlapped. Definitely Rockford IL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So again, Bloomington MN or Bloomington IL?
Bloomington, MN. It’s not my favorite Twin Cities suburb, but it’s a Twin Cities suburb all the same. I don’t think I’d enjoy being in a location as remote as the Illinois variety.

St. Louis Park, MN or Mendota Heights, MN?

Old 03-08-2023, 11:11 AM

4,430 posts, read 4,338,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Bloomington, MN. It’s not my favorite Twin Cities suburb, but it’s a Twin Cities suburb all the same. I don’t think I’d enjoy being in a location as remote as the Illinois variety.

St. Louis Park, MN or Mendota Heights, MN?
I'll take Mendota Heights MN. I like how it is more centrally located within the Twin Cities and it has some really nice homes and greenery.

Madison WI or Asheville NC?

Old 03-08-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Madison WI or Asheville NC?
Since I lived in Madison in the early 2000s and absolutely HATED IT, I'll pick Asheville. (Hated Madison because instead of being the clean and fun small city it claims, it was dirty, crowded, roads were congested, and the people were uniformly cranky and mean all year round, not just during the long winters. Don't believe the hype about Madison WI - it may have been nice 40 years ago; now it's just a dirty city full of angry people.)

Let's get out of the Midwest.

Sarasota, FL or Corpus Christi, TX?

Old 03-09-2023, 07:37 AM

2,567 posts, read 2,902,916 times
Quote:
Since I lived in Madison in the early 2000s and absolutely HATED IT, I'll pick Asheville. (Hated Madison because instead of being the clean and fun small city it claims, it was dirty, crowded, roads were congested, and the people were uniformly cranky and mean all year round, not just during the long winters. Don't believe the hype about Madison WI - it may have been nice 40 years ago; now it's just a dirty city full of angry people.)

Let's get out of the Midwest.

Sarasota, FL or Corpus Christi, TX?
Sarasota... Prefer its location closer to other population centers than Corpus Christi. Seems like a fairly even-keeled place by Florida standards.

Evansville, IN or Huntington, WV?

Old 03-09-2023, 02:09 PM

3,936 posts, read 2,247,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Sarasota... Prefer its location closer to other population centers than Corpus Christi. Seems like a fairly even-keeled place by Florida standards.

Evansville, IN or Huntington, WV?
Evansville. I think it's in better shape. Rochester MN or St. Cloud MN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City