Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2022, 01:17 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Jacksonville. It has some pretty nice parts in the east, and it's a pretty cheap place as well.

Providence, RI or Syracuse, NY?
Providence... More populous metro area and right outside the Boston metro as well. Gets a lot less snow and is close to the coast.

Jackson, MI or Jackson, TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 02:31 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,333,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Providence... More populous metro area and right outside the Boston metro as well. Gets a lot less snow and is close to the coast.

Jackson, MI or Jackson, TN?
Jackson MI. It has a decent looking downtown. Jackson TN has a lot of issues with crime. Sticking with the same name theme.

Rome GA or Rome NY?

Old 10-10-2022, 03:58 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Jackson MI. It has a decent looking downtown. Jackson TN has a lot of issues with crime. Sticking with the same name theme.

Rome GA or Rome NY?
Rome, GA for being more of a college town and close to other interesting cities like Huntsville, Chattanooga, Atlanta etc.

San Antonio, TX or Norfolk, VA?

Old 10-10-2022, 04:10 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,990,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Rome, GA for being more of a college town and close to other interesting cities like Huntsville, Chattanooga, Atlanta etc.

San Antonio, TX or Norfolk, VA?
San Antonio is very nice, but I'd pick Norfolk, VA because I've never been there and it's in a cool area, central to visiting many different places.

Grants Pass, OR or Chattanooga, TN?

Old 10-10-2022, 05:24 PM

6,431 posts, read 5,079,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
San Antonio is very nice, but I'd pick Norfolk, VA because I've never been there and it's in a cool area, central to visiting many different places.

Grants Pass, OR or Chattanooga, TN?
Chattanooga seems a lot more forward-thinking. They have the municipal branding typeface, city-wide WiFi, and IIRC have even considered light rail at points.

Southern Oregon, which had no industry to its name besides logging, suffered greatly when the spotted owl protection legislation went into effect in the late '80s. The state gave these towns, IIRC, 30 years of funding to develop actual industries, which would have ended around 2019, and most of them squandered it. It's a shame because that part of the state is, IMO, the most consistently beautiful area in the entire PNW, and I say that as a former Seattleite.

Worland, WY or Ely, NV?

Old 10-11-2022, 10:03 AM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Chattanooga seems a lot more forward-thinking. They have the municipal branding typeface, city-wide WiFi, and IIRC have even considered light rail at points.

Southern Oregon, which had no industry to its name besides logging, suffered greatly when the spotted owl protection legislation went into effect in the late '80s. The state gave these towns, IIRC, 30 years of funding to develop actual industries, which would have ended around 2019, and most of them squandered it. It's a shame because that part of the state is, IMO, the most consistently beautiful area in the entire PNW, and I say that as a former Seattleite.

Worland, WY or Ely, NV?
While Ely looks like it probably is an interesting town to visit at least once, I don't think I could deal with how isolated Ely is. At least Worland isn't as far away, from other towns that have stuff to do. I.e. Buffalo, Cody, Sheridan, etc. So I'll go with Worland.

And leads me to my next comparison: Sheridan, WY, or Deadwood, SD?

Old 10-11-2022, 10:02 PM

3,931 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
While Ely looks like it probably is an interesting town to visit at least once, I don't think I could deal with how isolated Ely is. At least Worland isn't as far away, from other towns that have stuff to do. I.e. Buffalo, Cody, Sheridan, etc. So I'll go with Worland.

And leads me to my next comparison: Sheridan, WY, or Deadwood, SD?
Sheridan. Deadwood is way too small. Watertown NY or Watertown SD?

Old 10-12-2022, 08:35 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Sheridan. Deadwood is way too small. Watertown NY or Watertown SD?
Watertown, NY... The winters would be a little rough for my liking but the region is more populous and it's a little over an hour from Syracuse which has more going on.

Spring Hill, FL or Spring Hill, TN?

Old 10-12-2022, 10:02 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,350,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Watertown, NY... The winters would be a little rough for my liking but the region is more populous and it's a little over an hour from Syracuse which has more going on.

Spring Hill, FL or Spring Hill, TN?
I’ll go with Spring Hill, TN. Spring Hill, FL is notoriously bad for sinkholes. It’s starting to get some exurb growth from Tampa, but overall there’s not much redeeming about the area. It’s in a part of Florida where there aren’t even any beaches close by.

White Plains, NY or Stamford, CT

Old 10-12-2022, 05:19 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I’ll go with Spring Hill, TN. Spring Hill, FL is notoriously bad for sinkholes. It’s starting to get some exurb growth from Tampa, but overall there’s not much redeeming about the area. It’s in a part of Florida where there aren’t even any beaches close by.

White Plains, NY or Stamford, CT
White Plains because I have heard so many good things about it. I would like to see the Neuberger Museum of Art and Greenburgh Nature Center. Of course, being a shopping and restaurant enthusiast, I would enjoy that, too.

Fishers, IN or Hoover, AL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City