Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2022, 03:02 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,418,112 times

Advertisements

ABQ for milder winters, mountains, SW culture and food

Carmel, IN or Overland Park, KS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2022, 03:48 PM

6,643 posts, read 12,144,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
ABQ for milder winters, mountains, SW culture and food

Carmel, IN or Overland Park, KS?
OP. It's rated one of the best suburbs and I wouldn't mind living in the KCMO area. It's also close to the Country Club Plaza.

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL or La Jolla, CA?

Old 10-21-2022, 06:08 PM

16,596 posts, read 10,749,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
OP. It's rated one of the best suburbs and I wouldn't mind living in the KCMO area. It's also close to the Country Club Plaza.

This is a toughie. I'd rather live in Florida than California, but I find La Jolla to be a beautiful place. (To be fair, I've never actually seen Ponte Vedra Beach itself.) And I strongly prefer San Diego to Jacksonville. I'm going to go with La Jolla, even though I think I'd regret choosing California.

Now, for two small cities with very limited airline service that happen to sit on major interstate highways: Salina, KS or Valdosta, GA?

Old 10-21-2022, 08:53 PM

64 posts, read 86,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
This is a toughie. I'd rather live in Florida than California, but I find La Jolla to be a beautiful place. (To be fair, I've never actually seen Ponte Vedra Beach itself.) And I strongly prefer San Diego to Jacksonville. I'm going to go with La Jolla, even though I think I'd regret choosing California.

Now, for two small cities with very limited airline service that happen to sit on major interstate highways: Salina, KS or Valdosta, GA?
Salina KS 100%. Never been there, but seems a bit more vibrant than Valdosta... which I have been to. Also, much prefer the climate of central Kansas to that of southern Georgia.

Grand Junction, CO or Pocatello, ID

Old 10-21-2022, 10:52 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,253,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post

Pontra. Don't have California money. Newark NJ or Long Beach CA?

Old 10-22-2022, 07:55 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,907,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Pontra. Don't have California money. Newark NJ or Long Beach CA?
Long Beach... Much nicer landscape with a higher quality of life. Newark is changing for the better but it's still a long ways away from being a destination for middle class families. Although I prefer the NYC metro to LA, this is an easy choice for me.

Aurora, CO or Tacoma, WA?

Old 10-22-2022, 08:52 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,016,544 times
Aurora, hands down. Access to the Rockies and everything Colorado has to offer. Tacoma too far north for me. I'll take snow over rain and gloom, even though I hate snow. Because I hate gloom more than I hate snow!

Bishop, CA or Gatlinburg, TN?

Old 10-22-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxurbanite View Post
Salina KS 100%. Never been there, but seems a bit more vibrant than Valdosta... which I have been to. Also, much prefer the climate of central Kansas to that of southern Georgia.

Grand Junction, CO or Pocatello, ID
When you get settled in your new home in Salina, be sure and have dinner at Martinelli's Little Italy. Great food and service. As for your choices, I'm going to go with Grand Junction, because I find that area to be just incredibly scenic. Not that Pocatello is bad, at least not based on the one time I passed through it, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Aurora, hands down. Access to the Rockies and everything Colorado has to offer. Tacoma too far north for me. I'll take snow over rain and gloom, even though I hate snow. Because I hate gloom more than I hate snow!

Bishop, CA or Gatlinburg, TN?
I've never been to Bishop, though it does look kind of nice in the pictures I saw. But it seems really isolated to me. Gatlinburg is an overgrown tourist trap, but the natural scenery of that region is gorgeous. And you're not too far from other places to do weekend getaways to.

Sandpoint, ID or Bozeman, MT?

Old 10-22-2022, 12:26 PM

4,787 posts, read 3,088,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Sandpoint, ID or Bozeman, MT?
Hmmm.... each is near a famous national park (Glacier / Yellowstone).
But Sandpoint is on a scenic lake too, and is much closer to a major city (Spokane) than Bozeman is.
And I'm guessing its winters might be a bit milder. so I'll choose Sandpoint.

Flagstaff AZ or Colorado Springs CO?

Old 10-22-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Hmmm.... each is near a famous national park (Glacier / Yellowstone).
But Sandpoint is on a scenic lake too, and is much closer to a major city (Spokane) than Bozeman is.
And I'm guessing its winters might be a bit milder. so I'll choose Sandpoint.

Flagstaff AZ or Colorado Springs CO?
My first impression of Flagstaff when I visited for the first time was that it was nicer and more scenic than I had expected. My first impression of Colorado Springs was that it wasn't as scenic and attractive as I had expected it to be, and parts of it were seedier than I had anticipated. Nevertheless, I'm going to pick the Springs anyway. It's much bigger, with much more in terms of daily things to do. And it's also pretty close to Denver and all the things that it offers. Flagstaff kind of sits out there all by itself, surrounded by a whole lot of scenic nothingness. And it gets way, way more snow than I would like. So I'll live in the Springs and content myself with weekend getaways to Flagstaff, not during the winter.

And now, you get to choose between the Second Cities of the Dakotas: Bismarck, ND or Rapid City, SD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City