Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2024, 11:32 PM

14,340 posts, read 9,222,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Johnson City, TN. I like the scenery of Johnson City more. I'd prefer to live in Tennessee than Arkansas.

Wichita, KS or Tulsa, OK?
TBH, I'd rather live in the larger urban areas in each of these states (OKC and KC), but pace the legacy of the Greenwood race massacre — or maybe even because of it, since Tulsa is acknowledging the horror of the event — Tulsa's better arts and culture scene leads me to pick it over Wichita.

Going back a bit before going forward: Shakeesha: Maybe you've heard me refer to Omaha as "Kansas City's little brother." In contrast to the rivalry between KC and St. Louis, the relationship between KC and Omaha is friendly and fraternal: Omaha is home to the Kansas City Royals' Triple-A farm club, and the two cities shared an NBA team between them for three seasons until Kemper (now Hy-Vee) Arena opened in KC. (My mother was born in Omaha and some of her siblings remained there even after she and her sisters landed in northeast Kansas.)

Also channeling Shakeesha's post:

Kansas City or Indianapolis? (Those two cities and Columbus, Ohio, all sit on roughly the same plane and are on the same east-west Interstate highway through the nation's midsection, along with St. Louis, which is a notch above all three.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 12:19 AM

3,940 posts, read 2,250,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
TBH, I'd rather live in the larger urban areas in each of these states (OKC and KC), but pace the legacy of the Greenwood race massacre — or maybe even because of it, since Tulsa is acknowledging the horror of the event — Tulsa's better arts and culture scene leads me to pick it over Wichita.

Going back a bit before going forward: Shakeesha: Maybe you've heard me refer to Omaha as "Kansas City's little brother." In contrast to the rivalry between KC and St. Louis, the relationship between KC and Omaha is friendly and fraternal: Omaha is home to the Kansas City Royals' Triple-A farm club, and the two cities shared an NBA team between them for three seasons until Kemper (now Hy-Vee) Arena opened in KC. (My mother was born in Omaha and some of her siblings remained there even after she and her sisters landed in northeast Kansas.)

Also channeling Shakeesha's post:

Kansas City or Indianapolis? (Those two cities and Columbus, Ohio, all sit on roughly the same plane and are on the same east-west Interstate highway through the nation's midsection, along with St. Louis, which is a notch above all three.)
I've already lived in Kansas City so I'd try out Indianapolis. Bloomington IN or Lawrence KS?

Old 01-08-2024, 01:23 AM

14,340 posts, read 9,222,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I've already lived in Kansas City so I'd try out Indianapolis. Bloomington IN or Lawrence KS?
The setting for "Breaking Away" or the place where William S. Burroughs (The Naked Lunch) spent his last years?

Midwestern college towns (all of them) are some of the coolest places to live in the country, so forcing anyone to choose among them is somewhat unfair, for each one has its own unique character and strengths. But I will give the nod to Lawrence here because (believe it or not) it has just a whiff of the counterculture about it (Justin was impressed by the shop on Massachusetts Street that carried crystals when I took him there) and it's 20 minutes closer to Kansas City than Bloomington is to Indianapolis.

Let's make this comparison a little less unfair:

Bloomington, Ind., or State College, Pa.?

Old 01-08-2024, 06:35 AM

16,587 posts, read 10,744,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The setting for "Breaking Away" or the place where William S. Burroughs (The Naked Lunch) spent his last years?

Midwestern college towns (all of them) are some of the coolest places to live in the country, so forcing anyone to choose among them is somewhat unfair, for each one has its own unique character and strengths. But I will give the nod to Lawrence here because (believe it or not) it has just a whiff of the counterculture about it (Justin was impressed by the shop on Massachusetts Street that carried crystals when I took him there) and it's 20 minutes closer to Kansas City than Bloomington is to Indianapolis.

Let's make this comparison a little less unfair:

Bloomington, Ind., or State College, Pa.?
Some years ago, a Penn State football coach was accused (or maybe convicted, I forget) of raping underage boys. But the community rallied around the coach, their rationale being that if he were punished, it would harm the football program. That, right there, told me what I needed to know about some of the people who live there. I've never been to Bloomington so I know nothing about it. But could it be worse than what I saw exhibited at State College?

San Diego, CA or Tampa, FL?

Old 01-08-2024, 07:18 AM

2,567 posts, read 2,905,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Some years ago, a Penn State football coach was accused (or maybe convicted, I forget) of raping underage boys. But the community rallied around the coach, their rationale being that if he were punished, it would harm the football program. That, right there, told me what I needed to know about some of the people who live there. I've never been to Bloomington so I know nothing about it. But could it be worse than what I saw exhibited at State College?

San Diego, CA or Tampa, FL?
San Diego... I'm admittedly not that familiar with Tampa, but I'd imagine quality of life would be higher in San Diego and the climate/natural surroundings and state politics are much more to my liking than Florida's.

Boise, ID or Reno, NV?

Old 01-09-2024, 07:30 AM

354 posts, read 160,708 times
I'd rather visit Reno with its proximity to LT but I'm not keen on living somewhere where hospitality and gaming are the primary employers. I think that Boise offers a much more complete city as a place to live and set down roots and it seem like the tech scene there will continue to grow over the near term.

Gig Harbor WA or Staten Island NY?

Old 01-09-2024, 10:36 PM

4,779 posts, read 3,082,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post

I'd rather visit Reno with its proximity to LT but I'm not keen on living somewhere where hospitality and gaming are the primary employers.
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCityIsBetterThanYours View Post
I think that Boise offers a much more complete city as a place to live and set down roots and it seem like the tech scene there will continue to grow over the near term.

Gig Harbor WA or Staten Island NY?
It would be a cool thing to be a short ferry ride from Manhattan...
but I'd still choose Gig Harbor, for its location on spectacular Puget Sound,
and year-round mild weather.

Flagstaff AZ or Fort Collins CO?

Old 01-10-2024, 08:10 AM

8,992 posts, read 17,360,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Good point!

It would be a cool thing to be a short ferry ride from Manhattan...
but I'd still choose Gig Harbor, for its location on spectacular Puget Sound,
and year-round mild weather.

Flagstaff AZ or Fort Collins CO?
Fort Collins. No disrespect whatsoever to Flagstaff, which is lovely, but I prefer Fort Collins and that front range area. Fort Collins is in that sweet spot for me, not to small but not to big with some bigger city amenities. On top of that, you have Denver and the Rockies on your doorstep.

Philadelphia PA or Houston TX

Old 01-10-2024, 08:26 AM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Philadelphia PA or Houston TX
Philadelphia intrigues me more, though I wouldn't want to live there forever. I prefer Houston's climate, but that's about the only advantage it has for me.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma or Birmingham, Alabama?

Old 01-10-2024, 12:00 PM

3,940 posts, read 2,250,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Philadelphia intrigues me more, though I wouldn't want to live there forever. I prefer Houston's climate, but that's about the only advantage it has for me.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma or Birmingham, Alabama?
Oklahoma City. I like the region better and offers more job opportunities. Omaha or Tulsa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City