Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2023, 05:50 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,901,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticsLover2003 View Post
Denver, since at least it is more hipster looking, and more outdoor activities to do than Charlotte.

Pleasant Prairie, WI or Monroe, MI
Pleasant Prairie... it seems to be part of a more populous and vibrant region that has more going for it beyond its relative proximity to Milwaukee and Chicago... Monroe has always struck as fairly drab.

Amherst, MA or Storrs, CT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 05:20 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,244,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Pleasant Prairie... it seems to be part of a more populous and vibrant region that has more going for it beyond its relative proximity to Milwaukee and Chicago... Monroe has always struck as fairly drab.

Amherst, MA or Storrs, CT?
Amherst. It's bigger and a little closer to a bigger city(in this case Springfield MA). Corpus Christi Tx or Mobile AL?

Old 12-18-2023, 09:27 PM

14,326 posts, read 9,202,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Amherst. It's bigger and a little closer to a bigger city(in this case Springfield MA). Corpus Christi Tx or Mobile AL?
Mobile, which has some of that Southern charm Savannah and New Orleans possess.

Channeling Pat Metheny:

Wichita, Kan., or Wichita Falls, Texas?

Old 12-19-2023, 08:53 AM

8,991 posts, read 17,352,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Wichita, Kan., or Wichita Falls, Texas?
Wichita Kansas - I don't know a ton about the one in TX, but I do know the one in KS has D1 basketball, a decent art museum and art scene, and is not quite as hot as the one in TX.

St Cloud MN or Ames IA

Old 12-19-2023, 09:17 PM

3,496 posts, read 3,420,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Wichita Kansas - I don't know a ton about the one in TX, but I do know the one in KS has D1 basketball, a decent art museum and art scene, and is not quite as hot as the one in TX.

St Cloud MN or Ames IA
Areavibes gave Ames a better score than Saint Cloud, plus it showed St. Cloud struggles with crime vs. Ames. So I'll go with Ames. I wish Amtrak had a stop in Ames, but ah well you can't have it all. Plus I suspect Ames would have slightly better weather than Saint Cloud. Now if Northstar commuter rail was extended west to St. Cloud, maybe I'd reconsider my decision here. Finally on Google street view Ames jumped out to me more than St Cloud, not sure why.

Manhattan, KS, or Stillwater, OK?

Old 12-20-2023, 04:57 AM

14,326 posts, read 9,202,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Areavibes gave Ames a better score than Saint Cloud, plus it showed St. Cloud struggles with crime vs. Ames. So I'll go with Ames. I wish Amtrak had a stop in Ames, but ah well you can't have it all. Plus I suspect Ames would have slightly better weather than Saint Cloud. Now if Northstar commuter rail was extended west to St. Cloud, maybe I'd reconsider my decision here. Finally on Google street view Ames jumped out to me more than St Cloud, not sure why.

Manhattan, KS, or Stillwater, OK?
Stillwater, based mainly on my impressions of Manhattan based on visits there. Kansas' other university town may sit right in the most scenic part of the state — the Flint Hills — but it lacks the vibe and verve of Lawrence. (It's also smaller than Lawrence, by about 40,000.)

Something tells me that Stillwater may also lack the vibe and verve of Lawrence, however.

Since we're on a Midwestern college/university town roll (and Midwestern college/university towns as a class are pretty cool places), let's compare the two* that are also state capitals:

Lincoln, Neb., or Madison, Wis.?

*Yes, I'm aware that Ohio's capital city is also home to the flagship state university. But Columbus is a big city, and big cities usually mute the college-town vibes, Boston (being chock full of colleges) being the one notable exception.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:05 PM

9,719 posts, read 9,480,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Stillwater, based mainly on my impressions of Manhattan based on visits there. Kansas' other university town may sit right in the most scenic part of the state — the Flint Hills — but it lacks the vibe and verve of Lawrence. (It's also smaller than Lawrence, by about 40,000.)

Something tells me that Stillwater may also lack the vibe and verve of Lawrence, however.

Since we're on a Midwestern college/university town roll (and Midwestern college/university towns as a class are pretty cool places), let's compare the two* that are also state capitals:

Lincoln, Neb., or Madison, Wis.?

*Yes, I'm aware that Ohio's capital city is also home to the flagship state university. But Columbus is a big city, and big cities usually mute the college-town vibes, Boston (being chock full of colleges) being the one notable exception.
Both awesome towns. I would choose Madison based on things to do and its growing culinary scene. I also like its college town vibe more.

Providence, RI or New Orleans, LA?

Old 12-20-2023, 05:48 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,244,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Both awesome towns. I would choose Madison based on things to do and its growing culinary scene. I also like its college town vibe more.

Providence, RI or New Orleans, LA?
I love New Orleans but Providence is safer so I'd pick that. Tampa or San Antonio?

Old 12-20-2023, 08:21 PM

6,433 posts, read 5,082,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I love New Orleans but Providence is safer so I'd pick that. Tampa or San Antonio?
I guess Tampa. Seems like a less sleepy metro with a more diverse corporate job market and probably a better non-Mexican food selection.

Kamloops, BC or Sarnia, ON?

Old 12-21-2023, 04:09 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,901,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I guess Tampa. Seems like a less sleepy metro with a more diverse corporate job market and probably a better non-Mexican food selection.

Kamloops, BC or Sarnia, ON?
Sarnia... Kamloops seems nice, but it's too geographically isolated from other places for me. Sarnia's relative access to Metro Detroit as well as much of Southern Ontario makes it more attractive to me.

New Bedford, MA or Bridgeport, CT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City