Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2023, 07:02 PM

6,440 posts, read 5,095,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Calgary. Although ABQ has an excellent four season climate in the goldilochs zone and I love Southwestern food, I lived there for seven years and I was very much ready to move on. I liked the experience of living in the Southwest but didn't care much for the city. Calgary seems a bit more interesting and dynamic as a city with a better downtown, more mass transit options, better shopping and more amenities. I like its setting in a scenic river valley surrounded by high prairie ranches and the most impressive national parks in the Rockies close by. I enjoy winter sports, so Calgary would be compatible for me. It's also one of the sunniest cities in Canada which makes it easier to balance the cold weather.

Halifax, NS or Victoria, BC?
I'll take Halifax. Victoria is way too small to justify its cost, and it seems too tourist/retirement oriented; Halifax is a full-fledged city. I actually have an acquaintance who did the thing every US progressive talked about for a while and moved to Canada, and he lives there now, so I would have the beginnings of a social network.

Charlottetown, PE or Brandon, MB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 10:15 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,251,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'll take Halifax. Victoria is way too small to justify its cost, and it seems too tourist/retirement oriented; Halifax is a full-fledged city. I actually have an acquaintance who did the thing every US progressive talked about for a while and moved to Canada, and he lives there now, so I would have the beginnings of a social network.

Charlottetown, PE or Brandon, MB?
Charlottetown. I like it's location and it'd be cool to live on an island. Continuing in Canada, Winnipeg MB or Ottawa ON?

Old 12-09-2023, 05:09 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,907,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Charlottetown. I like it's location and it'd be cool to live on an island. Continuing in Canada, Winnipeg MB or Ottawa ON?
Ottawa... It's much more accessible to other cities (Toronto, Montreal, and many places in Upstate NY), doesn't get as bitter cold as Winnipeg in the winter (although it does get more snow), and I like the fact that one could learn French there but that it's not mandatory for day-to-day living.

Galveston, TX or Fort Myers, FL?

Old 12-09-2023, 09:19 AM

14,343 posts, read 9,230,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Ottawa... It's much more accessible to other cities (Toronto, Montreal, and many places in Upstate NY), doesn't get as bitter cold as Winnipeg in the winter (although it does get more snow), and I like the fact that one could learn French there but that it's not mandatory for day-to-day living.

Galveston, TX or Fort Myers, FL?
Galveston. Close to Houston, and its main street, The Strand, has more than a whiff of New Orleans about it.

Camden, Maine, or Camdenton, Mo.? (Historical trivial aside: What ties these two states together?)

Old 12-09-2023, 09:32 AM

8,992 posts, read 17,363,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Galveston. Close to Houston, and its main street, The Strand, has more than a whiff of New Orleans about it.

Camden, Maine, or Camdenton, Mo.? (Historical trivial aside: What ties these two states together?)
I've never heard of either of these places, but the one in Maine is at least on the water so I might find some enjoyment there. I do know about the Missouri Compromise though

Portland ME or Bowling Green KY

Old 12-09-2023, 09:39 AM

14,343 posts, read 9,230,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I've never heard of either of these places, but the one in Maine is at least on the water so I might find some enjoyment there. I do know about the Missouri Compromise though

Portland ME or Bowling Green KY
Actually, the one in Missouri is also very close to the water, in its case the Lake of the Ozarks.

But I have similar reasons for picking Portland, Me., over Bowling Green. Kentucky horse country may be beautiful, but Portland's maritime charm I find far more appealing. After Lancaster, Pa., it's probably my favorite small city on the East Coast if not the country.

St. Louis, Mo., St. Louis Park, Minn., or Bay St. Louis, Miss.?

Old 12-09-2023, 10:57 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,020,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, the one in Missouri is also very close to the water, in its case the Lake of the Ozarks.

But I have similar reasons for picking Portland, Me., over Bowling Green. Kentucky horse country may be beautiful, but Portland's maritime charm I find far more appealing. After Lancaster, Pa., it's probably my favorite small city on the East Coast if not the country.

St. Louis, Mo., St. Louis Park, Minn., or Bay St. Louis, Miss.?
St. Louis Park. I like the idea of living in the Twin Cities and everything it offers in a nice clean package. I love my life in St. Louis but tired of the balkanized local politics and the Missouri mess. Mississippi ain't going to happen.

Jacksonville or Memphis

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 12-09-2023 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-09-2023, 08:28 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,251,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
St. Louis Park. I like the idea of living in the Twin Cities and everything it offers in a nice clean package. I love my life in St. Louis but tired of the balkanized local politics and the Missouri mess. Mississippi ain't going to happen.

Jacksonville or Memphis
I guess Jacksonville. I've heard more positive things about it compared to Memphis. St. George UT or Port Charlotte FL?

Old 12-09-2023, 09:51 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,494,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I guess Jacksonville. I've heard more positive things about it compared to Memphis. St. George UT or Port Charlotte FL?
St. George, UT. Florida is not a safe place. I also like St. George being more varied in its topography and proximity to Vegas.

Tupelo, MS or Ashland, KY?

Old 12-10-2023, 12:57 AM

6,440 posts, read 5,095,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer21 View Post
Easily Tupelo, since it's somewhat bigger and unlike Ashland hasn't been slowly declining in population for years.

Stillwater, OK or Bozeman, MT?
Stillwater, it's close to a medium-large metro area and way less expensive. Ideal situation if I've gotta be in a smallish college town. Although Bozeman's airport is pretty good for a city its size --- I always see direct flights going there from Seattle when I'm at SeaTac.

Ellensburg, WA or Pullman, WA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City