Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2022, 09:50 AM

6,152 posts, read 9,222,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
EVANSVILLE IN. I'm more of a beach guy than a mountain guy, so Aspen's most obvious advantage doesn't really apply for me. Evansville isn't a glamourous city at all, but there are nice historic neighborhoods, a decent amount to do, and is close to STL/Indy/Nashville/Louisville if I want to get away. I also think Southern Indiana in general is pretty underrated.

Knoxville, TN or Gainesville, FL
Knoxville for sure! Better scenery, fairly mild climate, and Tennessee fans are superior to Gator fans! LOL

In that same theme

Ames, Iowa or Morgantown, WV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 10:25 AM

14,366 posts, read 9,270,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Knoxville for sure! Better scenery, fairly mild climate, and Tennessee fans are superior to Gator fans! LOL

In that same theme

Ames, Iowa or Morgantown, WV?
Gotta stick up for Midwestern college towns, which I still think are the coolest in the country. Ames is also pretty close to Des Moines, which means you can get a taste of city excitement, Iowa-style, whenever you want.

But: On a recent trip to Charleston, I bought a bottle of a Kenyan hot sauce from a Kenyan restaurant in Morgantown at a store that specialized in food products made in West Virginia. I may be selling Morgantown (and WVU) way short here.

Sticking to Midwestern college towns now; these two are both within the metropolitan orbits (and CSAs) of larger nearby cities:

Lawrence, Kan., or Ann Arbor, Mich.?

Old 10-03-2022, 10:32 AM

3,512 posts, read 3,443,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Gotta stick up for Midwestern college towns, which I still think are the coolest in the country. Ames is also pretty close to Des Moines, which means you can get a taste of city excitement, Iowa-style, whenever you want.

But: On a recent trip to Charleston, I bought a bottle of a Kenyan hot sauce from a Kenyan restaurant in Morgantown at a store that specialized in food products made in West Virginia. I may be selling Morgantown (and WVU) way short here.

Sticking to Midwestern college towns now; these two are both within the metropolitan orbits (and CSAs) of larger nearby cities:

Lawrence, Kan., or Ann Arbor, Mich.?
Neither city is bad, in this comparison. I think I'll lean Ann Arbor, since it's a smidge closer for the driving distance to Dearborn, than Lawrence is to KCK(Kansas City, Kansas). And Ann Arbor is a little bigger, in population. Nothing against Lawrence, which still is a great place to live.

I'll still compare college towns for the next one, but make these 2 college towns in places that are a little more isolated from a nearby big metro area. Ithaca, NY, or State College, PA?

Old 10-03-2022, 12:48 PM

6,152 posts, read 9,222,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Neither city is bad, in this comparison. I think I'll lean Ann Arbor, since it's a smidge closer for the driving distance to Dearborn, than Lawrence is to KCK(Kansas City, Kansas). And Ann Arbor is a little bigger, in population. Nothing against Lawrence, which still is a great place to live.

I'll still compare college towns for the next one, but make these 2 college towns in places that are a little more isolated from a nearby big metro area. Ithaca, NY, or State College, PA?
The opportunity I have been waiting for!

Ithaca is over rated! I am through there just about every other weekend. It gets a lot of praise on here, and I cannot seem to see why. The only good things it has going on are the beautiful waterfalls/gorges and the lake.

Meanwhile, State College is one of my favorite places! It is very clean, offers a lot of dining and stores, and has beautiful scenery.

Continuing the trend

Athens, Ohio or Bowling Green, KY?

Old 10-03-2022, 12:58 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,359,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The opportunity I have been waiting for!

Ithaca is over rated! I am through there just about every other weekend. It gets a lot of praise on here, and I cannot seem to see why. The only good things it has going on are the beautiful waterfalls/gorges and the lake.

Meanwhile, State College is one of my favorite places! It is very clean, offers a lot of dining and stores, and has beautiful scenery.

Continuing the trend

Athens, Ohio or Bowling Green, KY?
Athens OH. Their downtown seems very interesting with the unique architecture and brick streets. Plus it's not too far from Columbus.

Charleston SC or Fort Lauderdale FL?

Old 10-03-2022, 01:18 PM

4,826 posts, read 3,108,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Athens OH. Their downtown seems very interesting with the unique architecture and brick streets.
Plus it's not too far from Columbus.

Charleston SC or Fort Lauderdale FL?
I'll follow Rhett Butler's example:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vtq64nZSXc

Hopefully, it's still got some of that "charm and grace" today.

Cincinnati or Indianapolis? (Any charm and grace in those cities?)

Old 10-03-2022, 05:32 PM

3,512 posts, read 3,443,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I'll follow Rhett Butler's example:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vtq64nZSXc

Hopefully, it's still got some of that "charm and grace" today.

Cincinnati or Indianapolis? (Any charm and grace in those cities?)
Ah, a comparison where I like both cities myself. I have this weird gut feeling I'd minorly prefer Cincinnati, if just for the fact I've LOOOONG wanted to explore Northern Kentucky further. And Jungle Jim's is an extremely cool grocery store, where I don't think any grocery stores in the Indy area would be similar to Jim's. Plus I like the slightly hilly topography of Cincy, and is something Indy doesn't have an answer to. Yes I know southern Indiana places like Nashville aren't too far away(and same with Brown County State Park), but you notice this charm Cincy has while exploring that city that Indy doesn't have as much of. And it having an amusement park and a neon sign museum(and it has non-neon signs too, I'll note), is very cool. VERY HARD decision, since I like both cities myself.

Rochester, MN, or Cedar Rapids, IA?

Old 10-05-2022, 08:41 PM

9,740 posts, read 9,527,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Ah, a comparison where I like both cities myself. I have this weird gut feeling I'd minorly prefer Cincinnati, if just for the fact I've LOOOONG wanted to explore Northern Kentucky further. And Jungle Jim's is an extremely cool grocery store, where I don't think any grocery stores in the Indy area would be similar to Jim's. Plus I like the slightly hilly topography of Cincy, and is something Indy doesn't have an answer to. Yes I know southern Indiana places like Nashville aren't too far away(and same with Brown County State Park), but you notice this charm Cincy has while exploring that city that Indy doesn't have as much of. And it having an amusement park and a neon sign museum(and it has non-neon signs too, I'll note), is very cool. VERY HARD decision, since I like both cities myself.

Rochester, MN, or Cedar Rapids, IA?
Another tough choice. I think Rochester looks cool and has slightly more to offer due to its location and economy. I would love to work for the Mayo Clinic.

In the theme of healthcare cities:

Nashville, TN or Cleveland, OH?

Old 10-05-2022, 10:43 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,271,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Another tough choice. I think Rochester looks cool and has slightly more to offer due to its location and economy. I would love to work for the Mayo Clinic.

In the theme of healthcare cities:

Nashville, TN or Cleveland, OH?
Nashville most definitely. Poplar Bluff MO or Ruston LA?

Old 10-06-2022, 07:15 AM

146 posts, read 155,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Poplar Bluff MO or Ruston LA?
Probably Poplar Bluff since I know nothing about Ruston.

Brunswick, GA or Gulfport, MS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City