Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2023, 12:54 PM

4,444 posts, read 4,356,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Would happily live in either. Elicott City is a bit more interesting with a more charming downtown but Barrington would win out for its coastal location in southern New England closer to my family. I'd enjoy living in Maryland though.

Berlin, MD or Frostburg, MD?
Frostburg MD. I like the idea of being in the mountains, and being in Berlin MD would just make me wish I was in Rehoboth Beach instead.

Helena MT or Montpelier VT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 01:19 PM

9,417 posts, read 13,092,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Frostburg MD. I like the idea of being in the mountains, and being in Berlin MD would just make me wish I was in Rehoboth Beach instead.

Helena MT or Montpelier VT?
I <3 Rehoboth Beach.

Back to my turn of the game: Montpelier, VT. I’m sure Helena is lovely in many ways, but I’d rather be in New England, where I can still be fairly close to family and not terribly far from major metropolitan areas. Vermont politics also fit me better than Montana politics.

To turn to a different pair of New England and Rocky Mountain state capitals: Providence, RI or Boise, ID?

Old 03-02-2023, 03:22 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,656,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
To turn to a different pair of New England and Rocky Mountain state capitals: Providence, RI or Boise, ID?
Providence has a more interesting history but is overcrowded and crime-ridden now. Boise, ID is surprisingly nice, except for the current political culture. I'll pick Boise.

Garden City, KS or Guymon, OK?

Old 03-04-2023, 12:21 PM

3,509 posts, read 3,439,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Providence has a more interesting history but is overcrowded and crime-ridden now. Boise, ID is surprisingly nice, except for the current political culture. I'll pick Boise.

Garden City, KS or Guymon, OK?
Neither of those are amazing, but I guess I could handle Garden City. It does have an Amtrak station, on the Southwest Chief long distance train route. I have sometimes heard people complain about the feedlot smells in these smaller Plains cities and towns, and I wonder if this is an issue in Garden City? A la how I've heard others online report this is(on a side note) for Greeley, CO? If not, I probably would be fine living there.

GCK supposedly has at least one local flight(I think in a puddle jumper style small plane), to Dallas(DFW). Thanks, to flightconnections.com. Finally I did once see a book that was postcards of municipal pools, and it showed GCK had a big municipal pool for this city's size. Interestingly enough, the only Target store for a long distance is in Garden City. Next closest stores are I think in Pueblo, CO, Amarillo, TX, and Wichita.

Portland, ME, or Burlington, VT?

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 03-04-2023 at 12:38 PM..

Old 03-05-2023, 09:55 AM

3,951 posts, read 2,268,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Neither of those are amazing, but I guess I could handle Garden City. It does have an Amtrak station, on the Southwest Chief long distance train route. I have sometimes heard people complain about the feedlot smells in these smaller Plains cities and towns, and I wonder if this is an issue in Garden City? A la how I've heard others online report this is(on a side note) for Greeley, CO? If not, I probably would be fine living there.

GCK supposedly has at least one local flight(I think in a puddle jumper style small plane), to Dallas(DFW). Thanks, to flightconnections.com. Finally I did once see a book that was postcards of municipal pools, and it showed GCK had a big municipal pool for this city's size. Interestingly enough, the only Target store for a long distance is in Garden City. Next closest stores are I think in Pueblo, CO, Amarillo, TX, and Wichita.

Portland, ME, or Burlington, VT?
Probably Portland since it's larger and closer to larger cities. Hickory NC or Blacksburg VA?

Old 03-06-2023, 07:24 AM

13,841 posts, read 8,126,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Hickory NC or Blacksburg VA?
I'd go with Blacksburg. I loved it when I visited.

Pittsburg, Kansas or Pittsburg, Tennessee?

Old 03-06-2023, 04:57 PM

9,417 posts, read 13,092,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'd go with Blacksburg. I loved it when I visited.

Pittsburg, Kansas or Pittsburg, Tennessee?
I presume you mean South Pittsburg, TN, outside Chattanooga? If so, that’s my pick. I’m not one for rural living in general, but I appreciate that South Pittsburg is reasonably close to Chattanooga, which is not the most cosmopolitan city, but it’s a city all the same. Pittsburg, KS seems like a nicer standalone town, but it’s far more remote.

Asheville, NC or Lancaster, PA?

Old 03-07-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Asheville, NC or Lancaster, PA?
Apparently Asheville used to be wonderful but has gotten overpopulated and overpriced in recent years. So I'll pick Lancaster in 2023, I guess. I could probably get some Amish guys to do some work on my house there.

Oklahoma City, OK or Topeka, KS?

Old 03-07-2023, 07:06 PM

14,362 posts, read 9,259,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Apparently Asheville used to be wonderful but has gotten overpopulated and overpriced in recent years. So I'll pick Lancaster in 2023, I guess. I could probably get some Amish guys to do some work on my house there.

Oklahoma City, OK or Topeka, KS?
Topeka, despite its being smaller than OKC.

The Kansas capital is a pleasant enough city, and there are two more interesting cities within a one-hour drive: Lawrence and Kansas City, both to its east. I think Tulsa is just a little further away than that from OKC, but I might be wrong.

BTW, Lancaster's way cool.

Dayton, Ohio, or Davenport, Iowa?

Old 03-08-2023, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Dayton, Ohio, or Davenport, Iowa?
Well, I have to pick Davenport, because someone I absolutely loathe lives in Dayton! Phooey to that person! And though the Quad Cities are becoming high crime, Davenport is considered the safest and nicest of the 4 (for those who don't know, the others are Rock Island, Moline, and Bettendorf.)

Farmington, NM or Flagstaff, AZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City