Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2023, 10:52 PM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
I haven't been to either in years (1994 for Oceanside and 2009). I'll probably go for Oceanside since I have better memories there. Farmington NM or Grand Junction CO?
I'd personally go with Grand Junction, since it's on an Amtrak route(California Zephyr), it's between a few national parks(Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Arches, Canyonlands), and I think it has a few flights out of a nearby airport. Farmington I believe doesn't offer as much, and is more isolated.

Saint Cloud, MN, or Mankato, MN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 06:03 AM

32,625 posts, read 77,770,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I'd personally go with Grand Junction, since it's on an Amtrak route(California Zephyr), it's between a few national parks(Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Arches, Canyonlands), and I think it has a few flights out of a nearby airport. Farmington I believe doesn't offer as much, and is more isolated.

Saint Cloud, MN, or Mankato, MN?
Wow. This is a tight one. I actually had to delve down into Census stats to finally select Mankato over St. Cloud. Mankato is slightly higher-earning, better-educated, and denser, overall, than St. Cloud. It is also slightly further from the Twin Cities, so it is less likely to get swallowed up in the eventual expanding urban sprawl of the Twin Cities vs. St. Cloud, which may someday fully connect with urban sprawl to the Twin Cities via I-94. I would probably be happiest living in North Mankato, MN.

NEXT: Knoxville, TN or Roanoke, VA?

Old 02-11-2023, 12:04 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wow. This is a tight one. I actually had to delve down into Census stats to finally select Mankato over St. Cloud. Mankato is slightly higher-earning, better-educated, and denser, overall, than St. Cloud. It is also slightly further from the Twin Cities, so it is less likely to get swallowed up in the eventual expanding urban sprawl of the Twin Cities vs. St. Cloud, which may someday fully connect with urban sprawl to the Twin Cities via I-94. I would probably be happiest living in North Mankato, MN.

NEXT: Knoxville, TN or Roanoke, VA?
Knoxville. I've heard really good things about it and it's close to Dollywood. Lawton OK or Fayetteville NC?

Old 02-13-2023, 12:37 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,640,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Lawton OK or Fayetteville NC?
Fayetteville because trees. I've been to Lawton, and it's pretty barren.

Grand Marais, MN or Bar Harbor, ME?

Old 02-13-2023, 04:43 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Fayetteville because trees. I've been to Lawton, and it's pretty barren.

Grand Marais, MN or Bar Harbor, ME?
Bar Harbor... It's about 8-12 degrees warmer year-round, has a larger year-round population, and is an hour from Bangor which has more amenities whereas GM is 2 hours from Duluth.

Tallahassee, FL or Corpus Christi, TX?

Old 02-13-2023, 07:50 AM

14,316 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Bar Harbor... It's about 8-12 degrees warmer year-round, has a larger year-round population, and is an hour from Bangor which has more amenities whereas GM is 2 hours from Duluth.

Tallahassee, FL or Corpus Christi, TX?
Corpus Christi is right on the Gulf, while Tallahassee sits a little bit inland from it. It's also an actual city while Tallahassee looks to me like an overgrown town. I'm not sure that Florida college towns are as cool as their counterparts elsewhere, either, and it also has the state government. Actually, I suspect it's Jefferson City with palm trees and a university.

So make it Corpus for me.

But speaking of college towns, Midwestern ones are uniformly cool. Those west of the Mississippi, however, I don't think get the cred that places like Ann Arbor, Madison or Champaign-Urbana get. So I'm going to pair two of the best-known Plains-state college towns:

Lawrence, Kan., or Lincoln, Neb.?

Old 02-14-2023, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Lawrence, Kan., or Lincoln, Neb.?

Definitely Lawrence. It still has that nice college town vibe, even though Topeka is trying to swallow it now. And Lincoln, since it has the state capitol, doesn't really feel like a college town.

Lemmon, SD or Marfa, TX?

Last edited by mjlo; 02-14-2023 at 01:44 AM..

Old 02-14-2023, 10:11 PM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Definitely Lawrence. It still has that nice college town vibe, even though Topeka is trying to swallow it now. And Lincoln, since it has the state capitol, doesn't really feel like a college town.

Lemmon, SD or Marfa, TX?
Don't like how isolated either town is. But that said I guess I'll pick Marfa, since at least it isn't far from Alpine which has an Amtrak station. And I think I'd more want to explore the rural areas of western Texas, over the rural areas of South Dakota and North Dakota. And I'd rather live in Texas in the winter, over live in the Dakotas.

Iowa City, IA, or Mankato, MN?

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 02-14-2023 at 10:23 PM..

Old 02-15-2023, 07:47 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,333,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Don't like how isolated either town is. But that said I guess I'll pick Marfa, since at least it isn't far from Alpine which has an Amtrak station. And I think I'd more want to explore the rural areas of western Texas, over the rural areas of South Dakota and North Dakota. And I'd rather live in Texas in the winter, over live in the Dakotas.

Iowa City, IA, or Mankato, MN?
Close one but I think I will go with Iowa City. I like Mankato's location more but the downtown seems a tad underwhelming. Iowa city is larger and a college town so it would have more to do IMO.

Tulsa OK or Colorado Springs CO?

Old 02-15-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Tulsa OK or Colorado Springs CO?
I used to live near Tulsa, and I like it a lot. 2 really good museums and a good university and interesting architecture. However, the dominance of religion there is off-putting. I've visited Colorado Springs and liked it; however, I did not like its sprawl. I think I'm going to go with Tulsa because of familiarity.

Houston, TX or Phoenix, AZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City