Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2023, 05:25 PM

14,362 posts, read 9,259,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I used to live near Tulsa, and I like it a lot. 2 really good museums and a good university and interesting architecture. However, the dominance of religion there is off-putting. I've visited Colorado Springs and liked it; however, I did not like its sprawl. I think I'm going to go with Tulsa because of familiarity.

Houston, TX or Phoenix, AZ?
Houston.

It shares with my beloved forever hometown of Kansas City, Mo., the defect of being a drive-everywhere place, but it is one of the most diverse big cities I've ever visited, and the various ethnic and racial groups mix there with an ease and casualness I don't see on the East Coast. It also seemed to me that Houstonians live up to the meaning of "Texas" ("Friends") in the way they greet visitors.

Yes, "it's a dry heat," but Phoenix's climate strikes me as just too blazingly hot in the summer, and climate change will only make it worse. I can live with Houston's swampy summers. Houston is also Texas' answer to LA, right down to the palm trees, freeways full of Mario Andretti wannabes doing 70 in bumper-to-bumper traffic and a suburb named Pasadena.

Lawrence (Rock Chalk Jayhawk!) or Manhattan (Go Wildcats!), Kan.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 10:00 PM

3,509 posts, read 3,439,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wow. This is a tight one. I actually had to delve down into Census stats to finally select Mankato over St. Cloud. Mankato is slightly higher-earning, better-educated, and denser, overall, than St. Cloud. It is also slightly further from the Twin Cities, so it is less likely to get swallowed up in the eventual expanding urban sprawl of the Twin Cities vs. St. Cloud, which may someday fully connect with urban sprawl to the Twin Cities via I-94. I would probably be happiest living in North Mankato, MN.
If you didn't know, there has been talk about extending the Northstar commuter rail line west from Big Lake(where it currently starts and ends), to Saint Cloud. It hasn't yet occurred, though. Hopefully it happens one day? You probably are right that St. Cloud is a tad closer to the west sprawl of the Twin Cities area, than Mankato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Houston.

It shares with my beloved forever hometown of Kansas City, Mo., the defect of being a drive-everywhere place, but it is one of the most diverse big cities I've ever visited, and the various ethnic and racial groups mix there with an ease and casualness I don't see on the East Coast. It also seemed to me that Houstonians live up to the meaning of "Texas" ("Friends") in the way they greet visitors.

Yes, "it's a dry heat," but Phoenix's climate strikes me as just too blazingly hot in the summer, and climate change will only make it worse. I can live with Houston's swampy summers. Houston is also Texas' answer to LA, right down to the palm trees, freeways full of Mario Andretti wannabes doing 70 in bumper-to-bumper traffic and a suburb named Pasadena.

Lawrence (Rock Chalk Jayhawk!) or Manhattan (Go Wildcats!), Kan.?
I've street viewed both places, and to me I like Lawrence better. That said, Manhattan('the little apple') isn't bad, either. I like the appearance of the indoor mall(at least per the photos I've seen empires228 post of it), that was built in downtown Manhattan.

I'll keep the theme of Big 12 college towns, going. Manhattan, KS, or Stillwater, OK?

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 02-15-2023 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: just a note I wanted to add about proposed commuter rail to St. Cloud

Old 02-15-2023, 11:31 PM

3,951 posts, read 2,268,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
If you didn't know, there has been talk about extending the Northstar commuter rail line west from Big Lake(where it currently starts and ends), to Saint Cloud. It hasn't yet occurred, though. Hopefully it happens one day? You probably are right that St. Cloud is a tad closer to the west sprawl of the Twin Cities area, than Mankato.

I've street viewed both places, and to me I like Lawrence better. That said, Manhattan('the little apple') isn't bad, either. I like the appearance of the indoor mall(at least per the photos I've seen empires228 post of it), that was built in downtown Manhattan.

I'll keep the theme of Big 12 college towns, going. Manhattan, KS, or Stillwater, OK?
Manhattan. Nice city. Brandon FL or Olathe KS?

Old 02-16-2023, 08:27 AM

9,736 posts, read 9,520,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Manhattan. Nice city. Brandon FL or Olathe KS?
Olathe because it is a more progressive area. Olathe also has a healthy economy and friendly people.

Ft. Oglethorpe, GA or Henderson, KY?

Old 02-16-2023, 09:56 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,356,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Olathe because it is a more progressive area. Olathe also has a healthy economy and friendly people.

Ft. Oglethorpe, GA or Henderson, KY?
Ft. Oglethorpe, GA for me. It has a scenic backdrop in the mountains and is a part of the Chattanooga metro area which I love.

Jackson OH or Poplar Bluff MO?

Old 02-17-2023, 04:31 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,915,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Ft. Oglethorpe, GA for me. It has a scenic backdrop in the mountains and is a part of the Chattanooga metro area which I love.

Jackson OH or Poplar Bluff MO?
Poplar Bluff... Not a fan of how isolated it is from bigger cities, but the town itself is 2.5x the size of Jackson and seems to have more amenities/culture. Jackson is isolated enough itself that I don't see any real intrigue of living there.

Yakima, WA or Caldwell, ID?

Old 02-17-2023, 09:37 AM

1,098 posts, read 912,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Poplar Bluff... Not a fan of how isolated it is from bigger cities, but the town itself is 2.5x the size of Jackson and seems to have more amenities/culture. Jackson is isolated enough itself that I don't see any real intrigue of living there.

Yakima, WA or Caldwell, ID?
Both look rough culturally speaking with brown and ugly landscapes, but I guess that’s the price you pay for it to not be raining all the time..

I’ll take Yakima for it’s proximity to Mt. Rainer, Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, the Cascades in general, Portland and Seattle. Looks like there’s a decent amount of national forest you could explore without even needing to go all the way into the national parks. I’d be doing crazy amounts of driving to get to those places, which I don’t love. I used to live near mountains. It was definitely a love-hate thing. You can’t stay home because if you do that, you’re definitely missing out, but you also spend huge chunks of your weekends driving around the region, setting up camp, exploring new territories.

Sorry, I’m all over the place with this one.

Chautauqua, NY vs Seaside, FL

Last edited by Jame22; 02-17-2023 at 09:59 AM..

Old 02-19-2023, 12:32 PM

3,951 posts, read 2,268,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame22 View Post
Both look rough culturally speaking with brown and ugly landscapes, but I guess that’s the price you pay for it to not be raining all the time..

I’ll take Yakima for it’s proximity to Mt. Rainer, Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, the Cascades in general, Portland and Seattle. Looks like there’s a decent amount of national forest you could explore without even needing to go all the way into the national parks. I’d be doing crazy amounts of driving to get to those places, which I don’t love. I used to live near mountains. It was definitely a love-hate thing. You can’t stay home because if you do that, you’re definitely missing out, but you also spend huge chunks of your weekends driving around the region, setting up camp, exploring new territories.

Sorry, I’m all over the place with this one.

Chautauqua, NY vs Seaside, FL
Probably Seaside even though I'm not really keen on Florida. The weather is better in my opinion. Cincinnati or Kansas City?

Old 02-19-2023, 05:30 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,454,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Cincinnati or Kansas City?
Cincinnati would be too cold in winter for me...and I'll take the KS side of KC.

Boulder City,NV or Casa Grande,AZ?

Old 02-21-2023, 09:18 AM

13,841 posts, read 8,126,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Boulder City,NV or Casa Grande,AZ?
Neither is really my cup of tea, but I'll go with Casa Grande because I have no desire to live within Las Vegas' orbit.

Hudson, Florida or Hudson, New York?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City