Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2021, 02:09 PM

9,738 posts, read 9,524,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Jacksonville... Seems to be a little more "on the up" as a city and the beach proximity is the icing on the cake.

Erie, PA or Huntington, WV?
Erie has more things to do and making more progress.

Wilmington, DE or Oklahoma City, OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 02:17 PM

94,337 posts, read 125,266,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

Wilmington due to its location in the Bos-Wash corridor near Philadelphia and Baltimore not too far away. It is still pretty affordable as well.

Clarksville TN or Davenport IA?

Old 08-14-2021, 02:19 PM

3,512 posts, read 3,440,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

Wilmington is probably alright, but to me I'd probably pick Oklahoma City. It seems like OKC is on the upswing, and its cost of living would be nice as well. And to me, I wouldn't mind it having milder winters as well.

For the above one I missed, I think I'd go with Davenport. Isn't Clarksville's economy sort of dominated, by the military base on the Kentucky/Tennessee state line? I worry while Clarksville might be okay(and won't deny its proximity to Nashville is good), that it wouldn't be an interesting enough place(enough IMO for myself, fine if others disagree) for me.

Ames, IA, or Lawrence, KS?

Old 08-15-2021, 04:26 AM

14,363 posts, read 9,263,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Wilmington is probably alright, but to me I'd probably pick Oklahoma City. It seems like OKC is on the upswing, and its cost of living would be nice as well. And to me, I wouldn't mind it having milder winters as well.

For the above one I missed, I think I'd go with Davenport. Isn't Clarksville's economy sort of dominated, by the military base on the Kentucky/Tennessee state line? I worry while Clarksville might be okay(and won't deny its proximity to Nashville is good), that it wouldn't be an interesting enough place(enough IMO for myself, fine if others disagree) for me.

Ames, IA, or Lawrence, KS?
Both really nice Midwestern college towns, and Midwestern college towns are among the coolest places on Earth. I may be selling Ames short here, as it's been decades since I set foot in it, but I don't recall downtown Ames having quite the scene that Massachusetts Street in Lawrence did even back then. And Massachusetts Street has only gotten livelier since. Besides, being a half-hour from Kansas City trumps being a half-hour from Des Moines. So Lawrence it is.

Lawrence, Kan., or Lawrence, Mass.?

Old 08-15-2021, 01:20 PM

3,955 posts, read 2,270,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Both really nice Midwestern college towns, and Midwestern college towns are among the coolest places on Earth. I may be selling Ames short here, as it's been decades since I set foot in it, but I don't recall downtown Ames having quite the scene that Massachusetts Street in Lawrence did even back then. And Massachusetts Street has only gotten livelier since. Besides, being a half-hour from Kansas City trumps being a half-hour from Des Moines. So Lawrence it is.

Lawrence, Kan., or Lawrence, Mass.?
Lawrence KS. Absolutely love that town. Toledo or Akron OH?

Old 08-15-2021, 06:03 PM

6,450 posts, read 5,119,626 times
Akron, it's visually in much better shape and its county lost much less population during the past decade than Toledo's did, so probably has better future prospects. I'd also rather be close to West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and upstate New York than to Indiana and Michigan.

Jennings, LA or Fernley, NV?

Old 08-16-2021, 07:58 AM

13,843 posts, read 8,130,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Jennings, LA or Fernley, NV?
Jennings. I prefer the climate, and the food!

Slidell, Louisiana or Ankeny, Iowa?

Old 08-16-2021, 05:20 PM

10,280 posts, read 1,057,356 times

Ankeny Iowa - "Is this Heaven? - No, It's Iowa"

Cape Cod MA or Cape May NJ??

Old 08-16-2021, 06:13 PM

3,512 posts, read 3,440,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post

Ankeny Iowa - "Is this Heaven? - No, It's Iowa"

Cape Cod MA or Cape May NJ??
Presuming I had as much money to spend to live anywhere in that region, I'd pick Cape Cod. Maybe to live in Provincetown, or on one of the 2 islands(Martha's Vineyard, or Nantucket). Though if the other place had been like Rehoboth Beach(DE), VA Beach, or Wilmington (NC), it would've been a harder pick for me. And I thought in this thread we were supposed to specify a town or city, for each place compared and not just a region?

Dover, DE, or Salisbury, MD?

Old 08-16-2021, 06:16 PM

828 posts, read 659,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Presuming I had as much money to spend to live anywhere in that region, I'd pick Cape Cod. Maybe to live in Provincetown, or on one of the 2 islands(Martha's Vineyard, or Nantucket). Though if the other place had been like Rehoboth Beach(DE), VA Beach, or Wilmington (NC), it would've been a harder pick for me. And I thought in this thread we were supposed to specify a town or city, for each place compared and not just a region?

Dover, DE, or Salisbury, MD?
Neither are hugely desirable although Dover has the advantage of being a state capital and is actually growing at a pretty good clip IIRC. Dover is also somewhat bigger I believe and has a cute, if kinda small, downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City