Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2021, 08:11 PM

6,453 posts, read 5,125,262 times

Advertisements

Why not, I'll take Youngstown. Living in the poster child for industrial decline could be interesting.

Danville, IL or Rock Springs, WY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 12:47 PM

3,512 posts, read 3,443,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Why not, I'll take Youngstown. Living in the poster child for industrial decline could be interesting.

Danville, IL or Rock Springs, WY?
Rock Springs. Since at least you aren't far from Salt Lake City (SLC), when it comes to bigger city/metro amenities. And it's near another such populated town nearby (Green River), and other state parks, national parks, national monuments, etc I've always wanted to visit. I.e. Dinosaur National Monument, Fossil Butte National Monument, etc. As for Danville, I remember reading it has had the biggest decline of any industrialized city in central Illinois. Per stree viewing Danville and once seeing Chris Harden's (formerly Nostalgia Tours) youtube video of Danville, I have no doubt it likely was nice once upon a time. Actor Gene Hackman lived for a little bit of his life in Danville, btw.

Thinking about other smaller industrial cities that've had decline, and seen better days. Wheeling, WV, or Huntington, WV?

Old 08-26-2021, 01:19 PM

6,453 posts, read 5,125,262 times
Easily Huntington. It feels like a solid mid-sized regional city, despite its population of under 50k. The downtown was way more active and modern than I expected, I didn't see a single boarded-up storefront until I got into the neighborhoods. Nice big riverfront park, seen here from across the Ohio.

I haven't been to Wheeling, but it's a much smaller town so probably less appealing. (One fun fact I know, though, the town's name is not a person's surname, or even English in origin at all. It's from the Lenape "wih link", or "place of the skull".)

San Luis Obispo, CA or Lawrence, KS?

Old 08-26-2021, 03:44 PM

4,828 posts, read 3,110,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

San Luis Obispo, CA or Lawrence, KS?
Easy decision. "SLO-Town" is one of the most pleasant places one could live anywhere,
with a fun little downtown, great California weather, and a beautiful location on the Central Coast.
And it has Amtrak service to the big cities north and south.

Silver City NM or Durango CO?

Old 08-26-2021, 04:15 PM

1,819 posts, read 1,986,006 times
Frankly, I wouldn't want to live in either due to their absurd driving distances from a big city (6 hours to Denver in the case of the first choice), but Durango isn't as hot in the summer and has more interesting mountainous scenery. Both are better to visit than live though IMO, unless if you're retired. Thank goodness for online shopping though, but I fear that both places are vulnerable to supply chain failures.

Daly City, CA, or North Bergen, NJ?

Old 08-26-2021, 05:49 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,919,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Frankly, I wouldn't want to live in either due to their absurd driving distances from a big city (6 hours to Denver in the case of the first choice), but Durango isn't as hot in the summer and has more interesting mountainous scenery. Both are better to visit than live though IMO, unless if you're retired. Thank goodness for online shopping though, but I fear that both places are vulnerable to supply chain failures.

Daly City, CA, or North Bergen, NJ?
Daly City... both cities have gritty parts but at least Daly City has some nicer areas and neighborhoods that are adjacent to the ocean too.

Ogden, UT or Greeley, CO?

Old 08-27-2021, 07:45 AM

13,849 posts, read 8,137,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Ogden, UT or Greeley, CO?
Greeley. Even though Ogden has much better scenery and Greeley is flat as a pancake, I think it would be tough to get along in Utah. Greeley still isn't far from the mountains.

Lafayette/West Lafayette, Indiana or Columbia, Missouri?

Old 08-27-2021, 12:29 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,273,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Greeley. Even though Ogden has much better scenery and Greeley is flat as a pancake, I think it would be tough to get along in Utah. Greeley still isn't far from the mountains.

Lafayette/West Lafayette, Indiana or Columbia, Missouri?
Columbia. Nice town. Monroe LA or Texarkana TX-AR?

Old 08-28-2021, 11:31 AM

338 posts, read 271,992 times
I'm gonna go with Monroe because I have such an interest in Louisiana, culturally and aesthetically. Seems like a fascinating place.

Salem MA or Virginia Beach VA?

Old 08-28-2021, 11:37 AM

14,769 posts, read 14,760,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayei View Post
I'm gonna go with Monroe because I have such an interest in Louisiana, culturally and aesthetically. Seems like a fascinating place.

Salem MA or Virginia Beach VA?
Probably Virginia Beach because I feel like Salem would be too gimmicky and centered around tourism.

Madison WI or Athens GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City