Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you see having the biggest future in the entertainment industry?
New York City 8 7.34%
LA 49 44.95%
Boston 2 1.83%
Atlanta 37 33.94%
Washington, D.C. 0 0%
Other 13 11.93%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:39 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,435,977 times

Advertisements

^
Pretty much. It makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Default Which city do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Atlanta posters are ignorant of the massive difference of where production companies, talent companies, casting agencies etc are located. The big seven studios companies.
It's on imdbpro. It's all there. This will never change.

I don't remember seeing anything in Atlanta. Pinewood is London based anyway.

I didn't see this post of yours earlier before I made my initial post here.
So what if Pinewood is London based. They chose Atl for their new big facility, not LA or anywhere else. Deal with that fact.

I can't help what you did or did not see in Atl. Would you even know where to look anyway?

Your, "This will never change", seems awfully certain in spite of all of the links posted yesterday @ 5:24 pm by Metzger that showed the concern that California has over some yard sticks o biz activity that note a decline in LA based film & tv work.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
I really think LA will dominate more in the future, even though other locations are doing more production.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:02 AM

Default Which city do you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I voted Atlanta because I view "biggest future" in terms of growth potential. LA and NYC are full-grown, mature entertainment hubs that will continue to grab the lion's share here and no other city will top them. Atlanta I see as an adolescent experiencing a big growth spurt, and although it will never be a LA or NYC it will gain lots of ground--thus, it got my vote.

You may petition the moderators to take away half my rep points if it'll make you feel better though.

I think that this explanation by Mutiny of his vote in the survey here needs to be read again because it seems to have been largely ignored. He is pretty spot on in his point about the mature vs. adolesecent statuses of LA & NY vs. an up-and-comer like Atl.
He began his post by noting that in view of the "growth potential" for the industry in Atl, he voted that city to have the "biggest future". You may not agree with that view but it's easy enough to understand the logic he used
The links provided yesterday by Metzer show the worry that California officials have over the state of the industry there & it's possible diminished growth prospects.
To repeatedly simply ignore these facts, plus the tremendous overall growth of the film & tv business in Georgia does border on delusional. In view of that, I can see where some might interpret the continued misinformation & flaming against Atl to be "hate" inspired.
I can assure you, that none of the Georgia posters in this thread have been flaming LA.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I didn't see this post of yours earlier before I made my initial post here.
So what if Pinewood is London based. They chose Atl for their new big facility, not LA or anywhere else. Deal with that fact.

I can't help what you did or did not see in Atl. Would you even know where to look anyway?

Your, "This will never change", seems awfully certain in spite of all of the links posted yesterday @ 5:24 pm by Metzger that showed the concern that California has over some yard sticks o biz activity that note a decline in LA based film & tv work.
You don't get it. The companies are LA based. The ones that make decisions. Where deals get made. Where TV writers rooms are. And so on and so on.
New York isn't even close to LA level.
This won't change.
I don't care if you believe otherwise, there's proof tax credits aren't long term.
Film production goes to cheapest locations. Those articles sat what it is now. NOT THE FUTURE.
California can make it more competitive with cheaper places. Several actors and directors push for it. You pretend as if this can never happen.
And there's a reason why the new media is setting up in la.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:19 AM

You're confusing film production with what Hollywood is.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:34 AM

No, you don't get it. I'm not pretending anything. Show me where I have done anything other than point out that California is worried about the future of the industry there & that Atl has had a huge growth in the industry. Additionally I have tried to correct misinformation put out here about Atl that said that Tyler Perry was the only larger player in Atl. Deny that you specifically said that if you can.
You can repeat ad infinitum ad nauseam about tax credits this & tax credits that but all that does is ignore the facts of what is occurring in huge infrastructure growth that will make the industry more than a short flash in the pan in Georgia whose survival is totally dependent on tax credits.
I don't care which firms are based in LA, which you have continued to harp on. That is not the basis of this thread survey which is written as a look to the "future". There is past, current & there is future. This thread title included "future".

Old 09-11-2015, 11:35 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
Freddy, what/who will ATL be left with when Georgia tax credits end? I don't think you've answered that yet.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:50 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
San Antonio has a Toyota plant. Does that mean it's going to displace Japan in the future? Does a Ford plant in Lousiville mean Kentucky has knocked Michigan off the automaking map? Come on people.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:54 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
San Antonio has a Toyota plant. Does that mean it's going to displace Japan in the future? Does a Ford plant in Lousiville mean Kentucky has knocked Michigan off the automaking map? Come on people.
Weak, and lame comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City