Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 142 76.76%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.03%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.19%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.62%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:14 PM

742 posts, read 1,118,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
By the way DC never felt "southern" to me ...part of the Bos-Wash mega region.
Despite people from DC not identifying with being Southern and DC being geographically part of the Northeast (but still in a transition zone culturally), and people from the actual South not identifying DC as Southern, the debate will continue I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,714,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
Despite people from DC not identifying with being Southern and DC being geographically part of the Northeast (but still in a transition zone culturally), and people from the actual South not identifying DC as Southern, the debate will continue I'm sure.
The debate is coming from everyone that's not from here or live here. I've yet to see a Washingtontonian on here or in real life identify as a Southerner.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:28 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,491,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
It isn't geographically Southern. Mid-Atlantic, especially DC and north, is geographically in the north portion of the East Coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-At...tic_States.png

Is your experience here meaning Norfolk, VA, a whole 3 hours southeast of DC?
Yes it is in my description. I'm from Northeast Ohio but live in Hampton Roads. DC is south of the Mason-Dixon line.

But according to your source all of Virginia is Mid-Atlantic, not just Northern Virginia. Yes Hampton Roads is three hours away but locals consider it to be Mid-Atlantic. Doesn't matter to me much either way but that is a huge argument amongst locals on here.

I'm just trying to figure out the differentiation. Is Mid-Atlantic, with respect to DC something entirely different than what it is in Maryland and Virginia outside of the metropolitan area? Culturally those areas are Southern. Particularly Richmond.

I'm all for Mid-Atlantic but it does feel like it is this cultural differentiation like Southern is a perjorative or something.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Yes it is in my description. I'm from Northeast Ohio but live in Hampton Roads. DC is south of the Mason-Dixon line.

But according to your source all of Virginia is Mid-Atlantic, not just Northern Virginia. Yes Hampton Roads is three hours away but locals consider it to be Mid-Atlantic. Doesn't matter to me much either way but that is a huge argument amongst locals on here.

I'm just trying to figure out the differentiation. Is Mid-Atlantic, with respect to DC something entirely different than what it is in Maryland and Virginia outside of the metropolitan area? Culturally those areas are Southern. Particularly Richmond.

I'm all for Mid-Atlantic but it does feel like it is this cultural differentiation like Southern is a perjorative or something.
Geographically, south of the Mason-Dixon line is irrelevant as that is a political boundary and not a geographical one. Culturally is another story.

The source, Wikipedia, divides the mid-Atlantic into two sub-regions - south Mid-Atlantic and north Mid-Atlantic. Acknowledging that there is no clear consensus really, Wikipedia maps show DC and Maryland in the northeast part of the mid-Atlantic (this is true geographically as well based on a map). It also shows Virginia, especially outside of the DC area, in the south part of the Mid-Atlantic.

Last edited by revitalizer; 01-28-2018 at 05:14 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

I'm only speaking for the DC area. If you look up maps that show cultural delineations, you'll see that the DC area is always separate from the South, whether it's religion, dialects, sweet tea line, y'all usage etc.. plenty of local papers have published numerous papers and studies on this and they all come to the same conclusion that DC is not Southern and whatever remnants that remain from the past is becoming even less visible.

Old 01-28-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
The debate is coming from everyone that's not from here or live here. I've yet to see a Washingtontonian on here or in real life identify as a Southerner.
I can definitely see that. I also think it definitely bothers some people that Washingtonians don't consider themselves as Southerners (I’m sure many of them are not Southeners themselves). Like I said previously, my opinion of myself, culturally, is more important than an outsider's opinion.

Last edited by revitalizer; 01-28-2018 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 08:05 PM

10,123 posts, read 10,031,731 times
Baltimore is geographically in the southern half of the US, so anything south of Baltimore......y'all know where this is going.

Lebanon, Kansas is the geographic center of the US.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is geographically in the southern half of the US, so anything south of Baltimore......y'all know where this is going.
Did you not read the last few pages or do you not understand the term "geographically"? The geographical midpoint of the Eastern US is near the VA/NC border. Therefor DC is not Southern geographically nor culturally Baltimore you can keep.

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-28-2018 at 08:28 PM..

Old 01-28-2018, 08:51 PM

10,123 posts, read 10,031,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Did you not read the last few pages or do you not understand the term "geographically"? The geographical midpoint of the Eastern US is near the VA/NC border. Therefor DC is not Southern geographically nor culturally Baltimore you can keep.
Did you read my post? I made no mention of DC, I'm talking about my city (Baltimore) is south of the geographic center of the US.

Baltimore should be on this list as one of the most southern cities; theoretically, it should win.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Did you read my post? I made no mention of DC, I'm talking about my city (Baltimore) is south of the geographic center of the US.

Baltimore should be on this list as one of the most southern cities; theoretically, it should win.
Its above the midpoint of the East Coast but sure. I don't argue for Bmore. You can keep your argument there. I just care about DC, even though you said anything South of BMore is Southern thus including DC, passive aggressive much? Thankfully for you, alot of folks don't have any opinions about Bmore so it could be whatever you want it to be.

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-28-2018 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City