Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the five is most Southern?
Atlanta gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 142 76.76%
Houston gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 13 7.03%
Dallas gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 17 9.19%
Miami gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 1 0.54%
Washington D.C. gets a (5) because it is the most Southern city 3 1.62%
Its hard to decide, they are all equally Southern cities 9 4.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 PM

12,736 posts, read 21,880,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is most definitely southern. Unlike many cities in the south, Baltimore's local culture is still intact, and it also hasn't been flooded with people from other regions the way other southern cities have. Logically speaking, if Baltimore was to be added, it should dominate this thread quite handedly. The only cities that can compare would possibly be New Orleans, Memphis, possibly Savannah, Jacksonville and Richmond.
You on that stuff. I do believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 01:08 AM

10,144 posts, read 10,071,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You on that stuff. I do believe.
Truth be told, you can't logically make an argument against what I said.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Truth be told, you can't logically make an argument against what I said.
No one in their right mind would think that Baltimore is Southern. We all love to look at the black community to judge a city by its Southerness. I wonder is Chicago Southern in your eyes?

Old 01-30-2018, 11:05 AM

10,144 posts, read 10,071,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
No one in their right mind would think that Baltimore is Southern. We all love to look at the black community to judge a city by its Southerness. I wonder is Chicago Southern in your eyes?

I'm from Baltimore and I'm saying it's southern.

Generally, no, but black Chicago natives do tend to have a southern accent. I wouldn't say it's southern for the simple fact that it isn't in the south.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:41 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,578,859 times
This DMV and MD discussion is never-ending for a ton of reasons with a ton of counters regardless of if you think S/N. The safest answer is that it's both and neither at the same time (or something else to obscure it more).

Old 01-30-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'm from Baltimore and I'm saying it's southern.

Generally, no, but black Chicago natives do tend to have a southern accent. I wouldn't say it's southern for the simple fact that it isn't in the south.
Just like Baltimore isn’t.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:12 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,232,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
This DMV and MD discussion is never-ending for a ton of reasons with a ton of counters regardless of if you think S/N. The safest answer is that it's both and neither at the same time (or something else to obscure it more).
Yes, this. I live in Maryland, go to Baltimore and its suburbs quite often and it's not exactly what I'd call southern, much less comparable to New Orleans, Charleston, or Savannah, because it's totally different. It's more Northeastern with Southern tendencies, as if Richmond and Philadelphia (which Bmore has more in common with than it does nearby DC) had a baby and dropped it along the Patapsco River.

I've told this anecdote about my experience a million times on here, but yes, while a lot of Southern blacks have migrated to the Washington DC area over the years, with many of them migrating from the Carolinas or rural Southern Virginia, or the Eastern shore of Maryland...I do see a Southern element from a lot of black people here...but its more upper south than lower/deep south, so it doesn't feel as strong or as stereotypically Southern. HOWEVER, Maryland is definitely a transitional zone. People from the South think its "Up North," while people I know from New England and New York consider Maryland (and the DMV area in general) to be "Down South." The Southerners I know think people here are unfriendly, rude, and cold, while an acquaintance from Upstate New York claimed he thought people here were "too friendly" because they say "hello" to him randomly and try to make small talk. My relatives from Mississippi can't stand the rowhouses and high-rise apartments/high density living that you see in Baltimore, or Suburban Maryland (one of my aunts remarked they looked like housing projects she'd seen on television, and my dad said he'd rather die than live "all on top of each other" the way people do in the cities up here), abrupt/blunt style of conversation, and overall faster pace/rat-race way of life. A former co-worker from Massachusetts claimed that people were slow to get things done here. Being halfway up the East Coast more or less, we definitely get traits of both the north and south.

Also, years of living down south made me gain a heavy southern accent that I have not been able to really get rid of...but people from the South don't think I have a strong accent, go figure.

TL; DR: I just say Maryland is Mid-Atlantic because it has elements of both the North and South.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:23 PM

37,951 posts, read 42,304,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Yes, this. I live in Maryland, go to Baltimore and its suburbs quite often and it's not exactly what I'd call southern, much less comparable to New Orleans, Charleston, or Savannah, because it's totally different.
I relate Baltimore with New Orleans in my mind, not because of Southerness, but because each has a large Black population with a strong local culture with what I call that "functionally dysfunctional" thing going on as cities. I guess that's why those are the only two cities David Simon has based shows on.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:26 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,232,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I relate Baltimore with New Orleans in my mind, not because of Southerness, but because each has a large Black population with a strong local culture with what I call that "functionally dysfunctional" thing going on as cities. I guess that's why those are the only two cities David Simon has based shows on.
Yes, I could see that and they are similar in aspects of very distinctive local cultures compared to their surrounding areas. I guess I just think of the more quasi-Caribbean vibe that New Orleans has that gives the local culture there more of a joie de vivre type of vibe than I do in Baltimore, which seems to be a lot more formal and uptight compared to New Orleans.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:28 PM

37,951 posts, read 42,304,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Yes, I could see that and they are similar in aspects of very distinctive local cultures compared to their surrounding areas. I guess I just think of the more quasi-Caribbean vibe that New Orleans has that gives the local culture there more of a joie de vivre type of vibe than I do in Baltimore, which seems to be a lot more formal and uptight compared to New Orleans.
True. I've heard that Baltimore's closest true peer may be St. Louis but I've never been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City