Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most likely to surpass 6 million in area population by midcentury?
Greater Detroit-Windsor 12 8.16%
Greater San Diego-Tijuana 12 8.16%
Greater Tampa Bay Area 4 2.72%
Greater Seattle 30 20.41%
Greater Phoenix 48 32.65%
Greater Guadalajara 7 4.76%
Greater Monterrey 5 3.40%
Greater Montreal 4 2.72%
Greater Minneapolis/Saint Paul 5 3.40%
Greater Cleveland 1 0.68%
Greater Denver 14 9.52%
Greater Portland 1 0.68%
Greater Orlando 4 2.72%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 11:59 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,514,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Someone must be in a sour mood today.. Have you ever even lived in Central Florida? Who exactly is being "envious" here as you say?
Obviously not you, sir, since your oblivious to the nonsense that some of your people like to bring. But do stick around in any thread long enough for Orlando and Atlanta to be brought up. No, I've never lived in Central Florida. However, I am a Floridian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 01:27 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,434,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Obviously not you, sir, since your oblivious to the nonsense that some of your people like to bring. But do stick around in any thread long enough for Orlando and Atlanta to be brought up. No, I've never lived in Central Florida. However, I am a Floridian.
What nonsense are you referring to? And why do you keep bringing up Atlanta? Atlanta has nothing to do with this thread, and when did I ever make a comparison between Orlando and Atlanta?

Old 09-30-2015, 01:31 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,982,289 times
Shocking to see San Diego/Tijuana with only one vote, goes back to my theory that people just vote for what they like rather than objectively.

San Diego/Tijuana is already 5.1 million with San Diego poised to add 340,000 people in the next 10 years and Tijuana poised to add 300,000 people in the next 10 years for a combined 640,000. So it will literally cross the 6 million line first.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:59 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,284,364 times
Orlando and Tampa aren't very similar to Dallas-Ft. Worth. The distance between the downtowns of Orlando and Tampa are almost triple the distance between downtown Dallas and downtown Ft. Worth.

Also, after taking a look at the Tampa Bay Partnership website, I have to say, some of these counties shouldn't be included. I mean, the Tampa Bay Area does not stretch from North Port, FL all the way to near Ocala. It's probably closer to 3 or 3.5 million than 4.7 million.

Anyway, I'd probably go with San Diego-Tijuana.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:09 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,596,435 times
I wonder how the trend of decreasing birthrates world-wide are going to affect population growth rates in the distant future.

Not to mention, commuting patterns could change and places could add other areas, etc.

Straight up, I'd vote for PHX, with SEA and SD/TJ not far behind.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Shocking to see San Diego/Tijuana with only one vote, goes back to my theory that people just vote for what they like rather than objectively.

San Diego/Tijuana is already 5.1 million with San Diego poised to add 340,000 people in the next 10 years and Tijuana poised to add 300,000 people in the next 10 years for a combined 640,000. So it will literally cross the 6 million line first.
Uh ... well if you knew all that already, why did you create this thread?

Old 09-30-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
What nonsense are you referring to? And why do you keep bringing up Atlanta? Atlanta has nothing to do with this thread, and when did I ever make a comparison between Orlando and Atlanta?
I brought up Atlanta and Orlando because I responded to a post about Orlando.

Then comes you asking me about have I ever lived in Central Florida and who is being envious (supposedly) from central Florida.

I responded to you and now we're here.

Don't ask me a question and then try to flip the script and deviate off. I wasn't referring to you when I initially said what I said, nor did I initially come in this post talking to you. You found me.

FOH with that BS.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Uh ... well if you knew all that already, why did you create this thread?
I'm going to wait for his response and his justification on this one too.

We all know how Red John likes to get down. He'll do what he has to do to build some cities up... and tear a few others down.

If he were a quote, it would be: If you can't find a way, MAKE a way.

Chile.

I'm logging off CD for a few weeks. These posters be outta control with the nonsense.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:37 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,973,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

Phoenix will reach it first. And with CA's water woes, I dont see how it could possibly sustain more people than it already has.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:53 PM

5,844 posts, read 5,649,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
OP you live in the UK, don't you know better than this nonsense? How laughably inflated can we make some of these? 4.6 million for Tampa!?!?!?
Not to derail the thread, but Tampa Bay is defined as being a broader region by just about every group or organization besides the US Census. As @redjohn already pointed out, I'll add Enterprise Florida, Tampa Bay Partnership and the Tampa Bay media market to the list of government or sanctioned organizations that define Tampa Bay as a larger region. Generally, from what I can see, Tampa Bay includes the Tampa, Sarasota and Lakeland metro areas. I am interested in how natives of Tampa-St.Pete define Tampa Bay region, but my question to you would be, why is Tampa Bay, as classified by many organizations besides the Census as having a population of 4.438 million as of 2014, why is the "conflated" definition of Tampa Bay any more laughable than the "conflated" definition of California's Bay Area, which touches 8 million? That region comprises at four different metropolitan areas, and Oakland used to be a metropolitan area itself...

I guess my thing is, metropolitan area is not synonymous with "region" or "sphere of influence". A city can represent a sphere of influence across an area larger than its documented "metro". A region can also have multiple metros. So, I have no problem with Tampa or SF Bay Areas larger definitions, and I think it's a bit weird to be acceptable of one and not the other...and for the record, I think it would be stupid to combine Orlando and Tampa into one metro. They are too far away from each other to exist as one, and Orlando is inland and represents a different vibe, while Tampa is coastal. They are two large metros that happen to abut AND stream one into the other, but they shouldn't be combined...

As for the thread, Tampa Bay won't beat hardly any of these other cities/regions to 6. The metro(s) isn't growing at the hyper level it would need to beat Detroit-Windsor, certainly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City