Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,481,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Georgia is never going to compete with NY and LA, but it's well on its way to cementing itself as the third option. One of my closest friends works in film (assistant director on several films you've heard of or seen). He's moving to Atlanta because it can guarantee him the same work he gets in NY, and give him the standard of living he feels he's earned.
It has already cemented itself as a third option, especially when you incorporate TV. People in the industry are well aware of Georgia's presence.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:20 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,999,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Sorry to disillusion you but the film industry in Georgia is not as you put it a "corporate presence" but rather it's a nuts and bolts on-the-ground in industry here w/ numerous studios already in operation w/ more major expansions announced &/or underway.
Really, it's amazing how defensive some folks can get in saying things about the film industry in another place that they really are clueless about.
I'm not in the industry but I'm certainly content, as are my friends who do work in it here, to see Georgia at #3. Considering how a couple of them struggled to hang on here locally over a decade ago & where the industry was at in Georgia just a few years ago as compared to the situation of today is truly a remarkable story.
I think the defensive part come in when the title of the post is "Georgia is the new face of Hollywood." I don't think anybody was disagreeing that ATL has a burgeoning Film & TV industry.

The problem for the LA boosters is that "Hollywood" is more than just filming movies and TV shows. It goes way deeper than that. Especially when Disney, Fox, Sony, Paramount, Warner Brothers, & NBC-Universal are all expanding their lots in LA. ATL wants to point to Tyler Perry Studios and others but there is nothing even remotely close to Disney corp and its subsidiaries in ATL (maybe besides Turner). That is not to mention that Netflix, Amazon, buzzfeed, maker studios, etc. and other internet based companies are exponentially expanding their presence in Los Angeles as well because of the original series that they are producing.

So, saying, move over NY & CA is just missing a large part of what makes "Hollywood", "Hollywood". Not to mention the music, video game, special effects, animation, virtual reality, tech, toy, & fashion and other industries that are also apart of "Hollywood."

Last edited by jamills21; 05-03-2016 at 02:36 PM..

Old 05-03-2016, 02:44 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,443,413 times
The casting agencies, lit agencies, manager (for actors and writers) companies etc.
There's likely 200-300 of these management companies alone

Even writers guild west is substantially larger than the writers guild east.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:46 PM

Tyler Perry is peanuts to the major studios. They're like their own little cities.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:12 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,713,414 times
Default Move over NewYork..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Tyler Perry is peanuts to the major studios. They're like their own little cities.

Must you be condescending & denigrate anything in the industry that is not LA/Hollywood-centric?
I know they are their "own little cities". I've been in Paramount's Hollywood Santa Monica Blvd./Gower Street campus repeatedly.
The link below is to the Pinewood Studio (yes, the company that is out of London) that is the Atlanta area film studio that is the nearest one to my home.
The 2nd link is for the Screen gems facility that is the next closest studio.
I could go on adding links here for various facilities but my point is obvious by now.
So, yeah...I know what they are about and I've been to my share of "wrap parties" so don't talk down to me or anyone else here.

Pinewood Atlanta Studios

EUE/Screen Gems | Film & Movie Production Complex in Atlanta, GA

Last edited by atler8; 05-03-2016 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: added a word

Old 05-03-2016, 07:22 PM

Who is talking down?

I'm not the one who made the thread (and ones before it)
Who attempt to make Atlanta something it's not.

I've seen the list of companies (production/agencies etc)in LA vs anywhere else and it's not even close.
Hell, glance at the Hollywood creative directory or imdbpro.

I know what city has what, yet this forum acts like there's some sort of competition. Ive asked producers about it and they just laugh it off.

There isnt. It's annoying to listen to it.
It's like Austin saying they're a threat to silicon Valley.

And tax credits are not a permanent thing.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:25 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,713,414 times
Default Move over New York...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I think the defensive part come in when the title of the post is "Georgia is the new face of Hollywood." I don't think anybody was disagreeing that ATL has a burgeoning Film & TV industry.

The problem for the LA boosters is that "Hollywood" is more than just filming movies and TV shows. It goes way deeper than that. Especially when Disney, Fox, Sony, Paramount, Warner Brothers, & NBC-Universal are all expanding their lots in LA. ATL wants to point to Tyler Perry Studios and others but there is nothing even remotely close to Disney corp and its subsidiaries in ATL (maybe besides Turner). That is not to mention that Netflix, Amazon, buzzfeed, maker studios, etc. and other internet based companies are exponentially expanding their presence in Los Angeles as well because of the original series that they are producing.

So, saying, move over NY & CA is just missing a large part of what makes "Hollywood", "Hollywood". Not to mention the music, video game, special effects, animation, virtual reality, tech, toy, & fashion and other industries that are also apart of "Hollywood."
You know that whoever wrote that article & titled it "Move Over..." wrote it as eye-catching click bait. Journos unfortunately work that way.
So yeah, as soon as I spotted the thread title I had thoughts that dovetail with yours as regards the title & I personally never would have titled it that way. But, at least you are some what aware of what's developing here but I don't know if you know the extent of it to this point.
In another post reply I made here 5 minutes ago, I attached 2 links for what are as far as I can tell the 2 nearest Atlanta area film studios to my home. They are just a partial sample of what is already available here in facilities & no 2nd rate small potatoes operations.
Obviously there is plenty of work to go around for more than the big 2 traditional film industry centers so keep watching as it's all in good competitive fun.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:40 PM

37,297 posts, read 39,630,348 times
That title's misleading, but congrats to Georgia. Georgia is likely one of the few places where the industry could actually still stay even if tax breaks were gradually removed since there are actually major production studios in the area (most importantly the Turner division of Time Warner) and there are several other features such as the airport and a large bevy of professional services clustered in Atlanta so it's actually looking like it can be sustainable.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,401,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Tyler Perry and the rest of the state's black residents, have never even made a fuss over Georgia's "First National Flag of The Confederacy " state flag because they don't want to scare away business.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,999,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Tyler Perry and the rest of the state's black residents, have never even made a fuss over Georgia's "First National Flag of The Confederacy " state flag because they don't want to scare away business.
I mean...things are much better since then but as they say, there's Atlanta, and then there's Georgia.

speaking of which, (serious question) is the next governor of Georgia likely to be Republican? That's the only thing I could see going sour for the biz if another LGBT bill gets to the governors table. Nathan Deal used to be a democrat before he became a republican it seems in 1995. A more conservative governor might go in a different direction. Might not even matter by then though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City