Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:27 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,995,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This thread has degenerated into a mindless back-and-forth between a tea partier from New Orleans who thinks any kind of tax breaks for any industry are robbing Peter to pay Paul, and a kid named Freddy from somewhere (LA maybe?) who keeps repeating himself over and over hoping somebody will be impressed.

Meanwhile, the film and TV business in Georgia grows bigger by the day ...

PS (again) -- The thread title is *STILL* stupid!!!!
LOL

Just cause you can't rebutt anything I said you call me a tea partier? I don't think states should be paying for half a productions budget when these studios make millions of dollars?

Better hope those tax credits never dry up.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I just want one person to explain how Louisiana went from this:

Move over Hollywood! Louisiana is top for film production

to This

Major downturn plagues Louisiana's film, TV industry 'Hollywood South' after big changes to tax credit program

July 25, 2014

to

March 26, 2016

That is all it takes. Baton Rouge has studios too. This is extortion but people are proud of this nonsense. Crazy.
What is different about ATL that the same thing wouldn't happen there? The only things that would stay are the Turner related productions. I just want somebody to tell me why these tax credits mean anything else.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Kid, Atlanta is NOT "under the radar." If you seriously knew anything at all about this subject, you'd know better. Georgia is the No. 3 state for film and TV production. Period. That point is not dismissable, it's fact. Nobody is saying it will be No 1 or overtake LA because that's just stupid.

Everything I stated in a lengthy post 3 pages back is true -- including the part about how Atlanta will never be NYC or LA or steal away the headquarters of any of the large media companies and production houses. Did you read ANY of that? Apparently not because you keep repeating the same thing over and over -- "All the companies are based in LA." NOBODY IS ARGUING OR DENYING THAT!

And lest you missed it the other 4 times I said it -- THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD IS STUPID!!

Now ... Come back in 3, 2, 1 and repeat your post about how I'm in denial about ... Something? Not sure what ... Seriously?
I think your in denial about how reliant GA and other states are on tax credits which are known to be very unstable.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:42 PM

37,208 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
But it still has 80/90 percent of the companies..that's what you don't understand.

And Hollywood reporter frequently credits the tax credits 's for NYC too.

If it didn't matter ny and Georgia wouldn't put so much effort into keeping it cheap.
No, I do get it. LA is still by far the largest player--I think people recognize that since people have repeatedly mentioned how silly the clickbait title is. Yes, LA went from a supermajority of all production to just a majority or plurality in a very short period of time of a couple decades--however, that's production whereas the production companies are actually mostly still in Los Angeles. I am not arguing that with you and I don't think Newsboy is either,

The point being made instead is very simple. Atlanta's industry is very different from the quick tax credit booms of Louisiana and North Carolina. Yes, the tax credits are causing the industry to see a large boom currently and were the credits to be cut, the brakes will be put on the industry real quick.

However, there is definitely a large difference in that Atlanta without tax credits will not simply be a complete bust where all production simply evaporates. Atlanta, aside from Tyler Perry Studios, has the Turner Division of AOL which includes subsidiaries which actually can and do development, pre-production and production of its materials and is far larger than Tyler Perry. Film is not usually their thing, but you need that shared set of skills and equipment. It actually has enough people in the industry, and in the general population, to support a small independent production community. There are people employed in pretty much every role of the industry rather than solely in production. It actually is a full-fledged major city with the necessary amenities to really do all parts of the industry. The industry existed in Atlanta and had created nationally to globally watched content (with or without Tyler Perry) well before the generous tax credits and has expanded even more so with the tax credits. However, if the tax credits disappear, the industry will still exist and it will still have grown and would probably maintain a decent stable size. There was no such thing in regards to Louisiana or North Carolina. Do you understand this part?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-07-2016 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-07-2016, 11:54 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,439,981 times
Tuners been around along time.

Again, the question is, what was Atlanta film and tv industry doing before the tax credits? All i see is Tyler Perry.

Cnn and the weather channel don't count. It's completely unrelated. I don't think NYC 's news networks count either.
That's media, not entrainment.
Reality TV shows suck, and really don't amount to anything.
I don't like the ones in LA either. It's just pointless.

No, I don't get it because nobody's proved what would be there if Hollywood left.
I'm guessing it would have an independent scene, but to say i will be always 3 is hog wash.
Another cheap state would swoop in and take silimar work.
Louisiana was #1 for a couple of years.

That's why I don't care where the filming happens really.
It's far more important to have the companies/studios and everything that goes along with it.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:42 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, I do get it. LA is still by far the largest player--I think people recognize that since people have repeatedly mentioned how silly the clickbait title is. Yes, LA went from a supermajority of all production to just a majority or plurality in a very short period of time of a couple decades--however, that's production whereas the production companies are actually mostly still in Los Angeles. I am not arguing that with you and I don't think Newsboy is either,

The point being made instead is very simple. Atlanta's industry is very different from the quick tax credit booms of Louisiana and North Carolina. Yes, the tax credits are causing the industry to see a large boom currently and were the credits to be cut, the brakes will be put on the industry real quick.

However, there is definitely a large difference in that Atlanta without tax credits will not simply be a complete bust where all production simply evaporates. Atlanta, aside from Tyler Perry Studios, has the Turner Division of AOL which includes subsidiaries which actually can and do development, pre-production and production of its materials and is far larger than Tyler Perry. Film is not usually their thing, but you need that shared set of skills and equipment. It actually has enough people in the industry, and in the general population, to support a small independent production community. There are people employed in pretty much every role of the industry rather than solely in production. It actually is a full-fledged major city with the necessary amenities to really do all parts of the industry. The industry existed in Atlanta and had created nationally to globally watched content (with or without Tyler Perry) well before the generous tax credits and has expanded even more so with the tax credits. However, if the tax credits disappear, the industry will still exist and it will still have grown and would probably maintain a decent stable size. There was no such thing in regards to Louisiana or North Carolina. Do you understand this part?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Tuners been around along time.

Again, the question is, what was Atlanta film and tv industry doing before the tax credits? All i see is Tyler Perry.

Cnn and the weather channel don't count. It's completely unrelated. I don't think NYC 's news networks count either.
That's media, not entrainment.
Reality TV shows suck, and really don't amount to anything.
I don't like the ones in LA either. It's just pointless.

No, I don't get it because nobody's proved what would be there if Hollywood left.
I'm guessing it would have an independent scene, but to say i will be always 3 is hog wash.
Another cheap state would swoop in and take silimar work.
Louisiana was #1 for a couple of years.

That's why I don't care where the filming happens really.
It's far more important to have the companies/studios and everything that goes along with it.
I'm really getting tired of arguing this point with you Freddy. Oy Crumbler explained very clearly WHY Atlanta's entertainment industry is not "like the others" -- specifically, Atlanta has been a center for film and TV production since the 1970s, LONG before the tax incentives ever came into play. Turner Broadcasting was founded in Atlanta and is still based in Atlanta. You mentioned CNN but apparently fail to realize (or either choose not to acknowledge) the fact that TURNER ENTERTAINMENT GROUP represents the highest-rated and most widely distributed cable TV channels on the dial. Perhaps you've heard of them? TBS? TNT? TruTV? Turner Classic Movies? Cartoon Network? Boomerang? Adult Swim? These ENTERTAINMENT CHANNELS are headquaterd in Midtown Atlanta. Their studios and production facilities are in Atlanta. And it's been this way for 30 years or more -- again, LONG before the state of Georgia ever considered tax incentives for the industry.

Further, Georgia has been one of the top locations for film production since the early 1970s, when "Deliverance" was shot in the North Georgia Mountains and drew the attention of producers and directors. Georgia was the first state in the nation to establish a state film commission, in 1973. Since then, hundreds of full-length motion pictures have filmed in the state, including some of the biggest blockbusters of all time: "Glory," "Driving Miss Daisy," "Forest Gump." The list goes on and on.

So you see, Georgia has always had a film and TV industry. All the tax incentives did was jumpstart that industry and send it into a massive expansion mode. Georgia's entertainment industry has momentum now that no other state that's offered similar credits has experienced. This is not hyperbole, it's FACT.

Last edited by Newsboy; 05-08-2016 at 03:05 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 07:22 AM

Sigh.
Adult swim and cartoon network are in Atlanta because of turner. They're just channels though. They're not proudction.
They also have burbank offices, where I assume the actual creative work to produce the content takes place.
Which is what matters in this discussion, and not just the filming.

Tbs, tnt are broadcast channels who have TV shows and popular movies created by hollywood, not the Atlanta film industry.

What would Turner have without Hollywood content?

I honestly can't believe turners being brought up. It's a different thing. It's a platform.
It's be like Netflix, if Netflix just wanted to Keep Sending Out DVDS And streaming.

I'm pretty sure NYC controls most of the programming channels and that's why people mistake it for being this giant entertainment hub.
But hbo, showtime , cinemax etc survive by putting out Hollywood's proudction.
They wouldn't exist otherwise.

Last edited by Freddy K; 05-08-2016 at 07:38 AM..

Old 05-08-2016, 10:55 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,725,443 times
I don't particularly care for the movies and TV shows that are filmed in Georgia, in particular the reality TV shows. I can't relate, sorry.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 PM

Reality shows suck no matter where it comes from.
Can't wait til most go away.
No value at all.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:12 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I don't particularly care for the movies and TV shows that are filmed in Georgia, in particular the reality TV shows. I can't relate, sorry.
Do you even know what movies and TV shows are filmed in Georgia? Probably not ...

"Captain America: Civil War" just had the 5th biggest weekend opening EVER! Guess where it was filmed?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/captain-...ice-1462735062

And I suppose you're not a fan of zombies, because the highest rated show on cable television just started filming it's 7th season in Georgia as well.

Last edited by Newsboy; 05-09-2016 at 12:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City