Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:07 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,444,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The whole point that differentiates Atlanta from the other examples is that this is not "all they got." You need to at least understand this part is true.
What else is there besides Tyler Perry?
Pinewood and screen gems are not Atlanta companies.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:18 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,001,286 times
I just want one person to explain how Louisiana went from this:

Move over Hollywood! Louisiana is top for film production

to This

Major downturn plagues Louisiana's film, TV industry 'Hollywood South' after big changes to tax credit program

July 25, 2014

to

March 26, 2016

That is all it takes. Baton Rouge has studios too. This is extortion but people are proud of this nonsense. Crazy.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:33 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,001,286 times
I already posted this about NC. But there are some damning quotes:

Cut to NC tax credits for film industry has production staffs scrambling

From the Charlotte Observer:
Quote:
“… I’m not going to plan tomorrow for a movie that I’m going to be shooting next year without knowing what my incentives are going to be. How can I build a budget based on that?” said Eldridge, whose $3.4 million “The Ultimate Life” – shot in Charlotte – aired on The Hallmark Channel this month.
Quote:
Added Eldridge: “People are not going to deal with grants. They’re not going to apply for a grant and hope they get their money. And the cap of $10 million? One ‘Hunger Games’ takes that, and then it’s gone.”
Quote:
Although “Homeland” clearly bolted for creative reasons, producer Alex Gansa told the Observer in 2013: “I don’t think we would have been here if there hadn’t been tax breaks, and I believe if the tax breaks end, we’ll have to pick up and find another place to shoot.”
Quote:
“Many businesses would like a handout from the government,” Rep. Paul Stam, R-Wake, wrote in an email to the Observer last week. “The film industry (the masters of illusion) think there is something different about themselves that make for a special case. In a way there is – here today, gone tomorrow – when the film wraps up. That makes the film industry the least likely candidate for special tax treatment. The real surprise is that states have not seen through this sooner.”
Quote:
Ken Taffaro operates Salisbury-based MedicalProps.com, which has rented medical equipment to “Homeland” and other productions. He recently placed an advertisement in a trade magazine in Georgia in anticipation of business drying up locally. “We’ll miss a lot of business if they take that incentive away,” he said. “No question about it.”

Old 05-06-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
yet, I still can't get anybody to rebutt anything I posted. Tax Credits are like 90% of why these industries film where they do. Hell, even the tier III crews film "local" but are mostly CA based. Most of these jobs created are heavily tied to tax incentives.
Here's an some easy questions.
What is the film industry in Atlanta if Hollywood isn't there?
The discrimination bill almost ended it all and Atlanta would be left with.......???

Prior to the newest tax credits, what big budget films were shot in Atlanta?

I don't care about reality TV stuff. That's an endangered medium .

Old 05-06-2016, 10:52 PM

Jason Blum (the independent mastermind) personally dislikes la.
He's a nyer. But he left for NYC for LA years ago and plans on staying. He's actually in a edgy part of koreatown, not I'm a glamorous location.
If LA was in some sort of trouble, wouldn't the most successful Independent producer leave for atl or nyc?
There's nothing keeping him in la except the film business.
He doesn't work for a studio.

Why did Netflix expand in la and not atl? Why is hulu based here?
These are recent developments.

The fact is , the talent is in la. I've attended networking parties, and you meet plenty of people from nyc.
I asked them why didn't they stay.
It's always the same answer. It's where TV and the movies are.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:54 PM

13,704 posts, read 21,993,958 times
This thread has degenerated into a mindless back-and-forth between a tea partier from New Orleans who thinks any kind of tax breaks for any industry are robbing Peter to pay Paul, and a kid named Freddy from somewhere (LA maybe?) who keeps repeating himself over and over hoping somebody will be impressed.

Meanwhile, the film and TV business in Georgia grows bigger by the day ...

PS (again) -- The thread title is *STILL* stupid!!!!

Old 05-07-2016, 12:05 AM

No, it's about Atlanta defenders not able to answer very simple questions.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'm just stating what I know.
Or in Atlanta's case, what I don't because it's so under the radar.

If you don't like hearing about reality, that's too bad.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:06 AM

How is he a tea partier?
This forum is so weird .

Old 05-07-2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
No, it's about Atlanta defenders not able to answer very simple questions.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, I'm just stating what I know.
Or in Atlanta's case, what I don't because it's so under the radar.

If you don't like hearing about reality, that's too bad.
Kid, Atlanta is NOT "under the radar." If you seriously knew anything at all about this subject, you'd know better. Georgia is the No. 3 state for film and TV production. Period. That point is not dismissable, it's fact. Nobody is saying it will be No 1 or overtake LA because that's just stupid.

Everything I stated in a lengthy post 3 pages back is true -- including the part about how Atlanta will never be NYC or LA or steal away the headquarters of any of the large media companies and production houses. Did you read ANY of that? Apparently not because you keep repeating the same thing over and over -- "All the companies are based in LA." NOBODY IS ARGUING OR DENYING THAT!

And lest you missed it the other 4 times I said it -- THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD IS STUPID!!

Now ... Come back in 3, 2, 1 and repeat your post about how I'm in denial about ... Something? Not sure what ... Seriously?

Last edited by Newsboy; 05-07-2016 at 01:42 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 01:41 AM

MORE INFO ABOUT THE MEDIA INDUSTRY IN ATLANTA (for those who are actually interested in FACTS and not just empty arguments):

In addition to several full-length motion pictures turned out each year, Tyler Perry Studios produces several scripted TV series based in Atlanta including "Haves and Have Nots," "For Better or Worse," "Love Thy Neighbor" "Too Close to Home" and "If Loving You is Wrong."

All of Turner Broadcasting's operations remain headquartered in Atlanta. These include, of course, all of the CNN news networks (CNN, HLN, CNN International, CNN Espanol, CNN.com, CNNAirport etc) as well as the Turner Entertainment networks (TBS, TNT, TCM, TruTV, Boomerang, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim). Other operations in Atlanta include Turner Sports and Turner Studios. The company has subsidiaries in Europe, Asia and Latin America.

The Weather Channel (owned by NBC-Universal) has been based in Atlanta since its founding in 1980.

Pinewood Atlanta Studios in Fayetteville, GA is the base of operations for the Marvel Comics movie franchise, with 3-4 Marvel superhero projects planned yearly for at least the next 5-6 years. "Ant-Man" and "Captain America: Civil War" (which just opened) were both shot there and "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" just wrapped. The next "Spiderman" movie is about to start production at Pinewood, and the largest super-hero movie ever made "Avengers: Infinity War" will follow in the fall.

"The Walking Dead" -- the highest rated TV series in the history of cable television -- has been set in and shot entirely on location in Georgia since it's creation more than 6 years ago.

Three of the most popular shows on The CW network -- "Vampire Diaries," "The Originals" and "Sleepy Hollow" are shot in Conyers, east of Atlanta, employing more than 1,000 people full-time for 10 months out of the year.

A frequently updated list maintained by Rodney Ho, TV writer for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, showed 67 TV series were based in Atlanta as of March. About half of these are scripted (non reality) TV series like the CW shows mentioned above, as well as dramas like "Devious Maids" and the new CW series "Containment," "Archer" on FX, "Rectify" on Sundance, "Halt and Catch Fire" on AMC, "Survivor's Remorse" on STARZ etc.

Atlanta TV shows | Radio and TV Talk

"Family Feud" (2nd highest-rated syndicated game show on TV) is based and filmed in Atlanta because host Steve Harvey lives in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City