Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Then DC should equally be an open and shut case because a lot of people say that city is Southern too. In fact, a recent Harris poll showed that 38% of Maryland residents believe their state is Southern.

The problem with C-D at times is that people tend to be heavy on anecdote and light on data. It's one thing to use personal experience to add context to something, but most people here use personal experience as the sole metric for any discussion. It's as if they don't realize there are millions of other people who may have a completely different experience.
that's fine. I'm not talking about DC though.

Quote:
But I can't disprove anecdotes and pictures so oh well.
No, you can't. Especially when one has a one track mind of what it means to be Southern and when one thinks the South is a monolithic culture. Is South Florida Mississippi? NO. But is South Texas? Again, NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 05:18 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
that's fine. I'm not talking about DC though.
But if one is to use your logic, DC is an open and shut case because a lot of people say it is Southern.

Where, in your mind, does the line exist between "open and shut" and "debatable." To me, it seems that both would fall into the debatable category, and Miami even moreso since Northeastern transplants and immigrants make up an even larger share of the population than they do in DC.

But I suppose it's easy to have that view if your frame of reference is strictly the African American community. For a Jewish person, or a West Indian moving to Florida from New York City, there's not anything "southern" about Miami at all.

Quote:
No, you can't. Especially when one has a one track mind of what it means to be Southern and when one thinks the South is a monolithic culture. Is South Florida Mississippi? NO. But is South Texas? Again, NO.
This is such a cop out. I'm tired of hearing the "you think the South is a monolithic culture" line, frankly. People always resort to the "I know based on_____" as if they are the only one of 320 million Americans who can speak on the topic.

There are some things that are, for the most part, Southern. In Miami, as you've repeated ad nauseum, those things are largely present in the Black community. In South Texas, they are largely present in the White community. Given that Whites have a larger presence in South Texas than Blacks do in South Florida, doesn't it stand to reason that South Texas would have more Southern influence, particularly considering the much greater political and economic power wielded by Whites relative to Blacks.

That's all I'm saying. South Florida has Southern influences, but I've never found it to be some outsized influence. If anything, I would expect it to be much less because the Black American population is not that big compared to, say, DC where most Black people are the descendants of American slaves.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
But if one is to use your logic, DC is an open and shut case because a lot of people say it is Southern.

Where, in your mind, does the line exist between "open and shut" and "debatable." To me, it seems that both would fall into the debatable category, and Miami even moreso since Northeastern transplants and immigrants make up an even larger share of the population than they do in DC.

But I suppose it's easy to have that view if your frame of reference is strictly the African American community. For a Jewish person, or a West Indian moving to Florida from New York City, there's not anything "southern" about Miami at all.

This is such a cop out. I'm tired of hearing the "you think the South is a monolithic culture" line, frankly. People always resort to the "I know based on_____" as if they are the only one of 320 million Americans who can speak on the topic.

There are some things that are, for the most part, Southern. In Miami, as you've repeated ad nauseum, those things are largely present in the Black community. In South Texas, they are largely present in the White community. Given that Whites have a larger presence in South Texas than Blacks do in South Florida, doesn't it stand to reason that South Texas would have more Southern influence, particularly considering the much greater political and economic power wielded by Whites relative to Blacks.

That's all I'm saying. South Florida has Southern influences, but I've never found it to be some outsized influence. If anything, I would expect it to be much less because the Black American population is not that big compared to, say, DC where most Black people are the descendants of American slaves.
Once again, I'm not talking about DC. I'm strictly on South Florida and South Texas. If you want to talk about DC, start another thread about it.

It isn't a cop out. South Florida is part of the diverse area of the South in general. It is part of what makes the South diverse and unique. I feel at home when I visit my family in Carol City now Miami Gardens to Port St. Lucie to Clewiston when they were there. But do acknowledge the difference. Just as I did with other family and various friends in other parts of the South as a whole. You don't care but that doesn't matter. In South Florida, there is a large White Population (not all of them transplants) and large Black population (not all of them transplants). In South Texas, there is a large White population and a very small Black population. Basically non-existent in the majority of it. South Florida has Southern influences from both many of the White and Black population (and Hispanic for that matter as many Hispanics do have Southern accents). South Texas may have southern influences from Whites but most of the region as a whole does not have that many if any Southern influences. And South Florida's Black population as a whole is just as large if not larger than DC. South Florida isn't just Miami-Ft Lauderdale West Palm Beach.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:39 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Also, if you can argue that South Texas is less Southern based on a wholesale absence of Whites in some towns, could you also not argue that South Florida is less Southern based on an absence of Blacks in some places. I am sure there are places in metro Miami that are 95%+ non-Black.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Also, if you can argue that South Texas is less Southern based on a wholesale absence of Whites in some towns, could you also not argue that South Florida is less Southern based on an absence of Blacks in some places. I am sure there are places in metro Miami that are 95%+ non-Black.
Go ahead and say it. Nobody is going to stop you.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:34 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
South Texas is more like northern Mexico. There is hardly of any southern culture. One has to think that there is almost 5 million residence that live in south Texas mainly latin decent. San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Laredo, McAllen - Brownsville area which that area consist of 1.5 million people alone on the U.S side with the other 1.5 million living on the Mexican side. So saying it's more southern is debatable.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:03 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Neither has a culture that is actually southern. But I do think the blue collar, pickup truck driving culture in south Texas has more in common with the south than the carribean/flashy culture of South Florida. So for the purpose of this thread, I would have to say south Florida deviates more, though neither is southern.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:23 PM

298 posts, read 416,615 times
Quote:
Exactly. The majority of South Texas has very little in common with what people know of as Texas. It has more in common with the Trans-Pecos area than it does with Central, Southeast, East, and North Texas. If it has little in common with the majority of Texas, how exactly does it have more in common with the rest of the South than it does with South Florida?
Depends on what you consider South Texas. If you're including San Patricio county, then that's not true. I have family in both Ingleside, a small South Texan town, and Weimar, a small Central Texan town. To be honest, I get the same feeling in both towns, and I've stayed in both for long periods of time.

Also, y'all are assuming just because a person is Hispanic that they're not Southern. Many Tejanos have southern customs. I don't know about the RGV, as that's definitely dominated by Mexican culture, but the areas around Corous Christi, especially the small towns such as Gregory, Aransas Pass, and Ingleside are, at least in my opinion, Southern.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:26 PM

298 posts, read 416,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
South Texas is more like northern Mexico. There is hardly of any southern culture. One has to think that there is almost 5 million residence that live in south Texas mainly latin decent. San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Laredo, McAllen - Brownsville area which that area consist of 1.5 million people alone on the U.S side with the other 1.5 million living on the Mexican side. So saying it's more southern is debatable.
The RGV, yeah, but definitely not anything north of Kingsville.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:43 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
The RGV, yeah, but definitely not anything north of Kingsville.
I think a lot of people, including me, are forgetting that south Texas isn't just the RGV. It also includes places like Victoria and Edna, you know, the area where Stone Cold Steve Austin grew up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City