Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region deviates more from the typical South?
South Florida 107 59.78%
South Texas 51 28.49%
Tie: Both deviate to the same extent 16 8.94%
I don't know 5 2.79%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 05:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

As far as South Florida, many whites have Southern culture but I'm not around the White population much when I visit my family and friends there.
The non-Latino, White percentage in Miami-Dade is less than 15% of the population. A large portion of these White people are from the Northeast, Europe and various places around the country. There isn't a whole lot of percentage left to be culturally Southern, White folk. They Upper and Middle Keys have a strong salty-Southern culture but their numbers are tiny. The counties on the SW coast of Florida seem to filled with retired Midwesterners. While Broward and Palm Beach counties have way more non-Latin, White residents, they too have a large percentage that have come from the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 10:17 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
South Florida is more similar to New York than the rest of the southern United States. Add in the Cuban influence and you don't feel like you are in the south at all.
True!

Old 06-01-2016, 10:39 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
The non-Latino, White percentage in Miami-Dade is less than 15% of the population. A large portion of these White people are from the Northeast, Europe and various places around the country. There isn't a whole lot of percentage left to be culturally Southern, White folk. They Upper and Middle Keys have a strong salty-Southern culture but their numbers are tiny. The counties on the SW coast of Florida seem to filled with retired Midwesterners. While Broward and Palm Beach counties have way more non-Latin, White residents, they too have a large percentage that have come from the Northeast.
I don't think anyone is sayong Miami is overwhelmingly Southern,What we are saying is Miami still has elements of Southern culture.Denying that is simply disingenuous or simply just ignorant.

In 20 years people will say the same about Atlanta not being Southern but its roots will always be there as they are in Miami.Ignoring that culture and history is insulting to those who do have those ties to Miami.
Its like people want to erase groups of people from the history of the community because you(those with this mindset) don't agree with what THEY think the culture stands for

Old 06-01-2016, 11:22 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,726 times
I'm still waiting for someone to explain how Brownsville, McAllen, or Laredo are in any way Southern.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:41 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
I don't think anyone is sayong Miami is overwhelmingly Southern,What we are saying is Miami still has elements of Southern culture.Denying that is simply disingenuous or simply just ignorant.

In 20 years people will say the same about Atlanta not being Southern but its roots will always be there as they are in Miami.Ignoring that culture and history is insulting to those who do have those ties to Miami.
Its like people want to erase groups of people from the history of the community because you(those with this mindset) don't agree with what THEY think the culture stands for
Not a chance. The vast majority of Atlantas transplants are southern. Most transplants to atlanta are from the south and the ones that come from the north are mostly African American with southern roots. Atlantas southern culture isn't going anywhere.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Culture in South Florida is a mix of Yankee (northern) White and Caribbean Hispanic, mostly Cuban.

South Texas, according to the Texans on this thread, is culturally Mexican.

So, we are debating whether or not a mix of New York/New England and Cuban culture is more or less southern than Mexican culture. That makes this a pretty dumb debate.

I'm personally not so sure about the South Texas is basically Mexico argument though because I've been to Brownsville, and I went on spring break to South Padre Island. I saw a lot of good ol southern boys and didn't see too much Mexican influence. However, if native Texans are claiming that South Texas might as well be Mexico, I suppose we should all defer to their expertise for all intents and purposes whether or not our own experiences told us otherwise.
Interesting...you completely removed Black people, AA and Caribbean, from the cultural mix of South Florida...how does that work?

Old 06-01-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Not a chance. The vast majority of Atlantas transplants are southern. Most transplants to atlanta are from the south and the ones that come from the north are mostly African American with southern roots. Atlantas southern culture isn't going anywhere.
Wow.How wrong can one be?
You have no idea what you talking about.you really believe the crap you say even though you dont even quote a source.Its bad enough you dont even know your own city but now spouting out wrong statements regarding other cities
So this should hut you up but I know some people never know when to quit:

"the top 10 largest sources of out-of-state domestic net migration were New York (60,247), Florida (55,503), California (25,769), New Jersey (22,651), Michigan (15,848), Illinois (14,462), Louisiana (13,499), Ohio (11,224), Massachusetts (8,808) and Alabama (8,456) for a total of 339,472 migrants.

That's 27.01% for the Northeast, 22.81% for the Southeast, 7.97% for the Midwest and 7.59% for the West.

Info Center Resources | atlantaregional.com
Just try to think logically for a moment.Atlanta ranks around 6 th in the U.S. in total number of headquarters.
Many of them have relocated like Mercedes Benz.a Do you honestly think all those companies headquartered here or have moved headquarteres here employ mostly African Americans?Does that really make any sense to you?.

You have silly notions that Atlanta is just African American blacks. Atlanta is one of the top 3 in African born population as well as its ranked third in Caribbean black population

Old 06-01-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Interesting...you completely removed Black people, AA and Caribbean, from the cultural mix of South Florida...how does that work?
I said the same thing, A lot of that going on in ths thread.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:14 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,117,718 times
Quote:
Wow.How wrong can one be?
You have no idea what you talking about.you really believe the crap you say even though you dont even quote a source.Its bad enough you dont even know your own city but now spouting out wrong statements regarding other cities
So this should hut you up but I know some people never know when to quit:

"the top 10 largest sources of out-of-state domestic net migration were New York (60,247), Florida (55,503), California (25,769), New Jersey (22,651), Michigan (15,848), Illinois (14,462), Louisiana (13,499), Ohio (11,224), Massachusetts (8,808) and Alabama (8,456) for a total of 339,472 migrants.

That's 27.01% for the Northeast, 22.81% for the Southeast, 7.97% for the Midwest and 7.59% for the West.

Info Center Resources | atlantaregional.com
Just try to think logically for a moment.Atlanta ranks around 6 th in the U.S. in total number of headquarters.
Many of them have relocated like Mercedes Benz.a Do you honestly think all those companies headquartered here or have moved headquarteres here employ mostly African Americans?Does that really make any sense to you?.

You have silly notions that Atlanta is just African American blacks. Atlanta is one of the top 3 in African born population as well as its ranked third in Caribbean black population
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...l?_r=0#Georgia

A plurality of Georgia's transplants come from the south. Atlanta gets the bulk of Georgia's transplants. Of the million people Atlanta gained last decade, 550,000 of them were African American, a solid majority. Those northern transplants are mostly black.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
We shouldn't be presumptuous to project onto others what they didn't say instead of calling people disingenuous or ignorant. Nobody said that Miami is devoid of "elements" of Southern culture. Frankly, you can find "elements" of Southern culture everywhere in the US. Does anyone drive a pick-up truck? Does the town have a country music station? Is there a restaurant that serves fried chicken?.......

If the intention of this thread by the OP was to just simply state his/her opinion and then get validated for it by unanimous agreement, then it could have been more clear in that regard. Frankly, many thread topics here on C-D Forum fall into that category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City